Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
that is neither a change, nor the only change.

both UIs required two taps. the difference was that in v11, the place where you tap to change the speed is five miles away from you. it means that it cannot be seen out of the corner of your eye and requires you to reach much farther to make the change.
  1. I was responding specifically to a person complaining specifically about the wipers. The 741 posts in this thread have made it clear there are more than this issue on V11
  2. Any time you are accessing the touchscreen while driving is unsafe, whether the button you are accessing is on the left side or right side of the screen. Any discussion about it is like discussing whether anthrax or sarin gas is worse.

Oh my drama queen god, it's all anthrax or sarin gas............touching a screen is exactly like being poisoned to death...........quick, we gotta get outta here.............we're all gonna die........
Might I introduce something to you called a simile. Good thing to learn so you don't look so foolish in the future.

As an emergency physician of 30+ years, in some of the busiest trauma centers in the country, I should state that the most common cause of traffic fatalities in this country is touching a computer screen. The LD50 of that activity is one touch. Two is universally fatal. And it's not just your life at risk. You endanger a host of other innocent people. So just say no, Nancy! Never, never, tough a computer screen in a car. It's not even entirely safe at home.

• Funny
Reactions: SalisburySam
Sure, distractions while driving are suboptimal. At the same time, if you can't safely drive and tap a screen occasionally, or operate the radio, heat/ac, or other controls on an ice machine, there may be a larger problem. If you don't like the new UI fine. Trying to bolster an argument by acting like it's death incarnate is a bit much.......

But it's not. I prefer the new UI and find it safer, quicker, less distracting. So do others. Some feel the opposite. We are not all the same, and therein lies the problem.......To say imagined "longer" is without question more distracting and therefore more dangerous is not a valid argument. Longer and shorter balance out, with longer being fractions of a second. You would need real data to qualify true danger/safety. That information will never be available. Why? Because it ain't a real thing.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: finman100
I hated the "cards", found it very distracting, others miss that feature. We all have to learn how to safely operate any motorized vehicle, and within the limits of our own talents. All cars have distractions. Some find the new UI more distracting, I find it less so. But I did have to learn new methodologies.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
But it's not. I prefer the new UI and find it safer, quicker, less distracting. So do others. Some feel the opposite. We are not all the same, and therein lies the problem.......To say imagined "longer" is without question more distracting and therefore more dangerous is not a valid argument. Longer and shorter balance out, with longer being fractions of a second. You would need real data to qualify true danger/safety. That information will never be available. Why? Because it ain't a real thing.
Preference is subjective; longevity of distraction is objective. There are studies in the field of psychology about distraction effect. It is not linear. Doubling the distraction results in more than doubling of re-adjustment time. You can Google switching cost.

Preference is subjective; longevity of distraction is objective. There are studies in the field of psychology about distraction effect. It is not linear. Doubling the distraction results in more than doubling of re-adjustment time. You can Google switching cost.
I really wish you would quit bringing sound, rational UI design principles into the discussion. They have absolutely no place here!

Longevity of distraction, as distraction itself, is absolutely subjective. Nothing more so. Someone's method and timing for activating a function on a screen may well be very different from mine. Something that I find to have no distractive qualities at all may bug someone else for ages. For me, there is nothing I need to do on the screen that takes significantly longer or is overall more distracting than previously. Some functions are a fraction of a second longer to activate, others that much quicker. It's about adapting and learning. There is certainly nothing so much more distracting as to be considered dangerous. That argument is simply not valid and is without an iota of proof. It's simply a subjective feeling/belief. That supposed study referenced is also not applicable, meaning the description is of a very different type of scenerio, and readjustment in this case should be a one-time thing. If not there is a larger problem.

• Disagree
If Tesla changed the functioins every time you got into your car and every time required more and more steps to activate a function then the study might have some relevance. As it is it has none. I found the cards to be the most distracting thing ever. With the new UI others miss that function and find functions that require a fraction of a second longer to be distracting. Some functions do indeed require two taps now but others are now one tap. Overall for me better. What would help would be to expand the customization abilities of what is one tap on the screen versus not. To be able to add seat heaters, defrost, wipers, blah blah blah, as direct taps would help. Still, I ain't crying over occasionally having to tap a screen twice..........that's just too much drama.........

Last edited:
  • Disagree
To be able to add seat heaters, defrost, wipers, blah blah blah, as direct taps would help. Still, I ain't crying over occasionally having to tap a screen twice..........that's just too much drama.........

Done in release 22.12.1. Not sure about the blah blah blah, but yes to the other three.

Last edited:
Reactions: PACEMD
Longevity of distraction, as distraction itself, is absolutely subjective. Nothing more so. Someone's method and timing for activating a function on a screen may well be very different from mine. Something that I find to have no distractive qualities at all may bug someone else for ages. For me, there is nothing I need to do on the screen that takes significantly longer or is overall more distracting than previously. Some functions are a fraction of a second longer to activate, others that much quicker. It's about adapting and learning. There is certainly nothing so much more distracting as to be considered dangerous. That argument is simply not valid and is without an iota of proof. It's simply a subjective feeling/belief. That supposed study referenced is also not applicable, meaning the description is of a very different type of scenerio, and readjustment in this case should be a one-time thing. If not there is a larger problem.
You should really read the MIT study on multitasking and distractions. Hint: people are not very aware of the fact that they are distracted. They think they can multitask and quickly switch between tasks but that is not true.
Google it. It is a well known study in the field.
Which function in V11 requires fewer taps than V10?