Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll on V11 interface

What is your overall take on V 11?

• I like its organization and customization a lot but its graphics are clunky. But function over form.

Votes: 104 14.5%
  • I love it and it's a huge Improvement in every way.

Votes: 149 20.7%
  • I I hate it and everything about it– wish I had not installed it.

Votes: 395 54.9%
  • I like its organization/customizability but its graphics are so bad it's overall a step backwards.

Votes: 71 9.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You should really read the MIT study on multitasking and distractions. Hint: people are not very aware of the fact that they are distracted. They think they can multitask and quickly switch between tasks but that is not true.
Google it. It is a well known study in the field.
Which function in V11 requires fewer taps than V10?

I'm not getting into a dig through and superficially scoop the literature discussion or a tit for tat tap debate. It simply is not applicable. There are indeed myriad things people think which are not true. Not sure how the idea that people in a specific study are distracted but not aware of that distraction can be extrapolated to all scenarios or applies to people here obsessing over having to tap twice versus once for certain functions. Or are folks here just not aware/talented enough to drive a Tesla? Do you decide people are dangerously distracted by two taps but oblivious to that fact and we should fix that speculative issue? Cool, knock yourself out. Distractions are in fact subjective. I would perhaps suggest you contact the authors of those MIT studies and ask them how to apply their specific results to your very different question. It certainly is not obvious how that could be done. But ask the formal question. Or better yet have them study this........

• Disagree
Reactions: ianc
Yet, you are judging a study by a well established scientific body without even reading it. It is only an example of a body of knowledge on the matter that you are not aware of. Nor Tesla UI designers, obviously.
That's not accurate. I haven't judged that study at all. And the truth is you have no idea about my knowledge of the literature. I have simply expressed a reasonable degree of skepticism about how this relates to the question proposed. And that based on almost no information supplied. Just a you should read, it may inform about something. A vague hope it may prove a point, which seems excedingly unlikely. If you want to share research then share it. Analyze the study, the reliability, and specifically how it applies to the question at hand. I'm not going to do the research for anyone else every time someone peripherally mentions a "study". Have you been in contact with the authors yet?

Last edited:
  • Disagree
You should really read the MIT study on multitasking and distractions. Hint: people are not very aware of the fact that they are distracted. They think they can multitask and quickly switch between tasks but that is not true.
Google it. It is a well known study in the field.
Which function in V11 requires fewer taps than V10?
I haven’t read the MIT study, but based on my previous career in aviation and dealing with “human performance in military aviation“ (a.k.a “cockpit resource management“) issues, anyone who thinks they can multitask and apply equivalent resources to two situations is delusional.

I'm not getting into a dig through and superficially scoop the literature discussion or a tit for tat tap debate. It simply is not applicable. There are indeed myriad things people think which are not true. Not sure how the idea that people in a specific study are distracted but not aware of that distraction can be extrapolated to all scenarios or applies to people here obsessing over having to tap twice versus once for certain functions. Or are folks here just not aware/talented enough to drive a Tesla? Do you decide people are dangerously distracted by two taps but oblivious to that fact and we should fix that speculative issue? Cool, knock yourself out. Distractions are in fact subjective. I would perhaps suggest you contact the authors of those MIT studies and ask them how to apply their specific results to your very different question. It certainly is not obvious how that could be done. But ask the formal question. Or better yet have them study this........
So you don‘t care about any evidence that might show you’re wrong and are taking the ‘I don’t notice it so it can’t possibly apply to me’ view. You claim to be a physician (an ER physician, no less.) One of the foundations of medicine is evidence-based decision making. Along with this is the well-documented fact that anecdotes are the worst and least reliable kind of evidence. How many people are in the ER because they were on their cell phone and didn’t think they were distracted?

Frankly, as a physician, I find your attitude astounding.

I noticed a common theme. People who disagree with V11 design philosophy present objective arguments: more taps = more distraction = more danger; functions that driver cannot use are more easily available; the logic is not common; etc. People who defend V11 philosophy present subjective evidence: “it does not bother me”; “I like it better”; etc.
It would be impossible to reach any sort of agreement when the rules of the game are not the same.

I noticed a common theme. People who disagree with V11 design philosophy present objective arguments: more taps = more distraction = more danger; functions that driver cannot use are more easily available; the logic is not common; etc. People who defend V11 philosophy present subjective evidence: “it does not bother me”; “I like it better”; etc.
It would be impossible to reach any sort of agreement when the rules of the game are not the same.
Clearly you are a Troll, a hater and a shill for big oil!

I've noticed the same thing - There's plenty of objective evidence that V11 is poorly designed. There's also plenty of expert opinion from people who actually work in UI design about why it's bad. Then there's a lot of people who can't seem to have a rational discussion.

I've noticed the same thing - There's plenty of objective evidence that V11 is poorly designed. There's also plenty of expert opinion from people who actually work in UI design about why it's bad. Then there's a lot of people who can't seem to have a rational discussion.
So let me see if I understand: V11 sucks. AmIright? Did I interpret correctly?

Reactions: PACEMD and navguy12
No, it does not “suck”. From UI usability perspective (which is important for things like driving a car) it is worse than V10, which was not a leading UI either. Instead of fixing V10 flaws they made it worse with V11.
I think were quibbling over the definition of “suck.” A worse UI with lessened usability failing to live up to the low standards set by previous firmware qualifies for me as major “suckage.” But that’s just me.

Refreshed MS have always been on V11 or something like that, so there were no significant changes for them, aside from fixes.
As of 2022.12.3.1 my car is almost as V10, except that the launch icons are smaller and there is more empty space between them. The entertainment section is less usable but that may be personal preference, so I will not comment on that.
I can live with this UI and if I do not discover any bugs I am considering “freezing” the updates for as long as I could.

Reactions: sleepydoc
So you don‘t care about any evidence that might show you’re wrong and are taking the ‘I don’t notice it so it can’t possibly apply to me’ view. You claim to be a physician (an ER physician, no less.) One of the foundations of medicine is evidence-based decision making. Along with this is the well-documented fact that anecdotes are the worst and least reliable kind of evidence. How many people are in the ER because they were on their cell phone and didn’t think they were distracted?

Frankly, as a physician, I find your attitude astounding.
What? I have ignored not one single piece of evidence as none has been presented. I'm not going off on an internet literature goose chase, however. That's too old a game to fall for. Show any true evidence you want, but you can't, it doesn't exist. A vague reference to a study reported as showing people can be distracted is what? How does that apply to this question? Don't ask me to research that, I didn't introduce that information. And if I did all that work to show it does not apply you would ignore that anyway and believe whatever you want. If you want to bring astounding attitudes into play you are in the right place. And I have "claimed" nothing. I don't think you want to get into a debate with me as a physician unless you've measured the waters.......which you clearly haven't........

Last edited:
  • Disagree
I have not defended anything. I have simply found it absurd to dramatically equate the new UI with impending death.......I have not one single time claimed that the new UI cannot be more distracting for some folks. But you cannot make a claim that all distractions, of any creed or color, are equal and lead right straight to dangers of death. Those claims are straight-up absurd. And you have not presented one single piece of "objective" evidence showing danger. Have you yet contacted the authors or even bothered yourself to analyze that information to even peripherally show how it might apply?

Last edited:
  • Disagree

What is your so-called objective evidence? Present it and analyze how specificly it applies.

Last edited: