Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: perhaps Tesla should do this to improve efficiency and generate cash, in the short term

What should Tesla do?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Clearly, Tesla is at the crossroads, once again, given the disappointing Model S and X sales for the last Q. Clearly, Tesla is stretched beyond belief. Clearly, Tesla technically is years ahead of the competition as evidenced by the 204 mile range yet $75K Audi's Etron, and the not so well selling and not so efficient Jaguar I-Pace. The Mercedes, Porsche's and VW's next long range EV models remain to be tested, but they could potentially have similar issues. So, how can Tesla improve quickly and overcome this short term cash and expansion problem?
Please post your additional questions below.

Ideally, it would be great if Tesla could reasonably do another capital raise, and use the additional capital to accelerate several efforts.

In your poll, I chose Model Y, Powerwall, service, and full self driving as top priorities.

In addition, I'd like to see the Model S and X offered with larger battery packs, V3 Supercharging support, and track mode which would help with Autobahn driving. This seems more important than colors, wheels, or interior gizmos. The S and X can well serve as halo cars for a while, so the new Roadster can wait.

Tesla can use its own Semi production for a while, until they can get their costs low enough to align with the aggressive prices announced for Semi and Megacharging.

The solar roof is cool, but it's an expensive niche product, and standard solar panels are a commodity.

I'd rather that Tesla implement full self driving before jumping into the competitive ridesharing space.

Reactions: OPRCE
It seems to me that Powerwall installations would be an easy way to increase revenue. Some people have been waiting for almost 2 years for those. I would also like to see the solar roof tiles become a common thing. Looks like there are thousands of people waiting for those items.

At this point I'm not sure there is an easy way for Tesla to quickly generate cash. If demand really is greater than supply they need to increase supply. They could also increase prices of the 3 which would strip away some demand, but increase margins.

The question I have is what happened to S and X last quarter. Would be curious to see if anyone has a guess at what the pricing fluctuations did to demand. As a guy with an S in his garage, I was rather amused to get a text when they were trying to drum up sales at the end of the quarter. You screwed with prices which probably increased the deprecation on my car and then you come asking me to trade it in and buy another? o_O

The question I have is what happened to S and X last quarter.
As far as I can tell, X sales didn't drop all that much. The S did, but mostly due to the elimination of the S75, which previously had accounted for half the S sales. Third shift was also cut. This isn't a big surprise because many S75 sales would have gone to the 3 had it been available. S and X are in need of an update.

So many folks think that the drop is a bad thing that no one saw coming. Whereas it was a drop that pretty much everyone saw coming.

Hmmm, it's the last week of December and I want to get a car, should I get it now or wait a few weeks? Oh, you mean the tax credit is dropping, I'm getting it now.

The tax credit drop pulled large number of orders into 2018, just as Tesla said. And, as they were expecting that, they also decided that it was time to turn on Europe. It's a new market and takes time for boats to load, travel and unload. It's definitely going to impact the numbers. And it was probably a good move, since you might as well take all your hits in deliveries at once.

And then they decided to drop the prices, but damn it, the existing owners got pissy about it. They were pretty much doing everything that they should to boost sales to a quarter that was known to be an issue. But Q2 will get the $35k and that should help start bringing the numbers back to climbing.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I don't think we are ready for EV advertising, drum up too much ignorant interest and you will get buyers who are Angy because they didn't realize it took more than 5 minutes on a standard outlet to charge or they run out somewhere.

I am pretty good at research understood charging and all and still was caught off guard by the cold weather compromises and if we are HONEST I am pretty sure my 2005 Sierra crewcab would be cheaper for me to drive in January near Green Bay. The cold weather efficiency hit is massive with my short commute so I think at least for northern climates the "savings" is overstated.

I am pretty good at research understood charging and all and still was caught off guard by the cold weather compromises and if we are HONEST I am pretty sure my 2005 Sierra crewcab would be cheaper for me to drive in January near Green Bay. The cold weather efficiency hit is massive with my short commute so I think at least for northern climates the "savings" is overstated.
I beg to disagree, and I live in somewhat of a cold climate -- mountains of Colorado.
When you preheat an ICE vehicle before driving--massive waste
When you go up and down the mountains ICE cars waste fuel and brakes going down the hills
You also completely negating the fact that so much fuel and effort has already been spent on delivering gasoline and diesel for your 2005 Sierra up North, not to mention the fact that it takes more electricity to make the stupid gas than it would to power all cars if they were electric.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
Seems like Tesla leave a lot of money on the table by not being good at the following:
1) Rapidly providing replacement parts for crash repairs
2) Resale of used Teslas, especially trade-ins

There is immediate revenue, profit and cashflow from that.

I don't think we are ready for EV advertising, drum up too much ignorant interest and you will get buyers who are Angy because they didn't realize it took more than 5 minutes on a standard outlet to charge or they run out somewhere.

Off topic for this thread, but I'm doubtful that a 2005 Sierra crew cab is going to be less expensive to operate than an EV. Even a Model X consuming an unrealistic one mile per kWh would cost about 18 cents per mile in electricity (taking Wisconsin's 13.9 cent per kWh average energy rate and adding some padding for taxes and fees). The Sierra, using $2.70 per gallon regular unleaded, would cost cost the same 18 cents per mile at 15 miles per gallon. I think it's highly unlikely that such a vehicle would be capable of 15 miles per gallon on short trips in cold weather.

Reactions: abasile
Well this past winter here gas was more like $2.05.
I did see as high as 7xx kwh/m with my P85 and that doesn't account for power used plugged in, battery heating to charge, vampire drain which ICE do not have. Extra preheat time because the frameless windows freeze and hang up. Yes the windows freeze on my truck but they aren't frameless.
Far as temps, average January high is 25 low 9 BUT I have seen -26 and we can spend days or a week at a time not getting above single digits. That is a lot colder than Denver. With a 7 mile each way drive the battery and cabin heaters are working hard every time you get in the car and to charge.

I have seen the truck fall as low as 12.7mpg but normal winter is 14-15 summer is 17mpg.

The people who talk about cold not being that bad don't know what cold is, and it is devistating to to EV efficiency. On a 60degree day my 45mph 7 mile drive registers 270wh/m get down around zero and it is 700+ unless you preheat from shore power which is still energy used.

I can't argue the waste in production of gasoline, but a casual buyer who needs to see ads to get interested in Tesla is not going to care about that, they are going to care about what their daily use is.

Where is the "Concentrate on bringing the pickup to market" option? The pickup, Y, X/S refresh, and Semi have the potential to bring in the most profit.
Jeep put the entry edition Gladiator pickup (4,190 for area code 419) on sale ($62,000) and sold out immediately.
4 door wrangler sales will take a hit, but Jeep is gonna sell the sha-poopie out of these things

When the model 3 came out, Tesla didn't hesitate to brag: woohooo 400k reservations!!!!!!
I haven't heard anything about the Model Y reservations yet.
If they put the pickup out we will hear: Woohooo 400k reservations!!!!!
It's all about the pickup