Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Phone Key Reliability with iPhone 12 and Model 3/Y?

Does your iPhone 12 work reliably for keyless entry with your Model 3/Y?

• Yes. (98%+ reliable)

Votes: 18 52.9%
  • Kinda. (90%-97% reliable)

Votes: 6 17.6%
  • Not really. (75%-89% reliable)

Votes: 5 14.7%
  • Nope. (50-74% reliable)

Votes: 3 8.8%
  • It’s terrible! (<50% reliable)

Votes: 2 5.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If you're a Model 3/Y owner and you've been using an iPhone 12 as your phone key (ideally for a week or longer), please let us know how reliable the iPhone 12 has been for keyless entry.

For this purpose, I would consider a “failure” to be any time you have to fiddle with your phone in order to open/unlock the door OR start the car.

I was about the pull the trigger on an iPhone 12 purchase, but some of the threads I’ve seen online discussing phone key reliability problems (see: TMC, Reddit) are giving me pause. So, I was hoping to get some data on how widespread the issues are.

Thanks in advance for sharing!

I selected "Yes" because of the 98% threshold. One out of 50 times I have to "fiddle." Otherwise, it's very reliable.

Also, Bluetooth connects well for calls and streaming. No complaints here.

I reluctantly migrated to a iPhone 12 Pro after being a longtime Galaxy S* user (at my wife's request), so I'm no iPhone fanboy. Still, I find the 12 to be very satisfactory for use with the Model 3.

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311
So far, 13 total votes: 7 “Yes”, 3 “Kinda”, 1 “Not really”, 2 “Nope”.

But voting has stalled out, and in a year full of large polling errors, I’m not feeling great about the small sample size so far. :p

This being a Tesla forum, I figure there should be a pretty big overrepresentation of well-heeled folks who get the latest tech as soon as it’s available. So where all y’all iPhone 12 owners at?! :D

Also, just like @chrstna4's earlier comment about her iPhone 12 being flaky at first but solid after a software update, please mention if you noticed any change in performance before/after an iOS or Tesla software update. Thanks!

Happened to me yesterday. I was at a friend's business, went out to jump in my car for a meeting and my 3 wouldn't let me in. So I had to open the Tesla app (which was already running in the background) and unlock my car.

12 Pro Max
IOS 14.2.1
All phone apps up to date
Model 3 latest software update

• Informative
Reactions: jsmay311