Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

(POLL) Remotely Check & Install Update

Would you like to remotely check and install updates remotely?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well the car will regularly check for updates on its own and notify you via the app when there’s an update available. And we’ve had the ability to start the update from the app for a little while now. Only thing missing from your idea is being able to force the car to check for a new update from the app. I’m not sure this is something Tesla would bother with. I’ve found that just waking the car up from the app will sometimes get it to notice there’s a new update available.

• Disagree
Reactions: kpeng
Well the car will regularly check for updates on its own and notify you via the app when there’s an update available. And we’ve had the ability to start the update from the app for a little while now. Only thing missing from your idea is being able to force the car to check for a new update from the app. I’m not sure this is something Tesla would bother with. I’ve found that just waking the car up from the app will sometimes get it to notice there’s a new update available.

Ever since the ability to check for updates was made available I have NEVER been advised of an update. Its always through me checking for update after reading of a new update being released online.

Reactions: PNWLeccy
It would be nice to log into the app, and hit the check for update button then install. You can check to see if there is an update in the car but not in the APP.

That has never done anything for me or anyone I know. The app already tells you when there is an update available, this is basically the in-car equivalent of that functionality.

The car lets you know when there is an update available. There was a short time when hitting it 5x "seemed" to be forcing a specific update in the past. Other than that, we sit and wait on the car to tell us.

That has never done anything for me or anyone I know. The app already tells you when there is an update available, this is basically the in-car equivalent of that functionality.

The car lets you know when there is an update available. There was a short time when hitting it 5x "seemed" to be forcing a specific update in the past. Other than that, we sit and wait on the car to tell us.

The app / car is delayed advising you an update is available by many days which is most likely to spread out downloads and reduce Tesla network congestion.

Check Teslafi firmware tracker, If an update has more than ~40-50% fleet install I guarantee if you go to your car and press the check update button it will say"update available" even though your car / app did not advise you. I know this for a fact since all updates I have installed since the "check for update" option was given to us were a result of me going to the car cand checking for update.

All im saying is it would be handy to open up the app, select "check for update".

• Disagree
Reactions: mnevar and Joshan
Ever since the ability to check for updates was made available I have NEVER been advised of an update. Its always through me checking for update after reading of a new update being released online.
Is there a way to manually check for updates, short of just waiting around for the car to advise you? Was that added recently (last 6 months)?

Is there a way to manually check for updates, short of just waiting around for the car to advise you? Was that added recently (last 6 months)?
Yes. Go to the software settings screen. Going there will have your car ask the mothership if its VIN has yet won the Update Lottery. This takes a few seconds. If you're up, you'll get the "Update Available" notification.

Contrary to many threads, posts, and YouTube videos stating otherwise, there is absolutely no need to "tap Advanced five times".

Ever since I got my MX LR in September 2019 my app has informed me when an update is available and asked if I want to instal it. I must have had 5 or 6 updates over that time several of which I have installed remotely as we’re often away in our motorhome (or RV to our American friends!)

this all already exists.....

Remotely asking my car to check for an update DOES NOT EXIST. You are under the impression that when tesla marks your car ready for an update your APP will tell you right away. WRONG. I know for a fact there is a delay of at least 3 days from when your car is "ready" for an update to when your car and or APP advises you.

Like i said before, check teslafi firmware tracker, when you see a firmware install of ~40-50% of fleet most likely when you select the check for update button there will be one waiting.

Remotely asking my car to check for an update DOES NOT EXIST. You are under the impression that when tesla marks your car ready for an update your APP will tell you right away. WRONG. I know for a fact there is a delay of at least 3 days from when your car is "ready" for an update to when your car and or APP advises you.

Like i said before, check teslafi firmware tracker, when you see a firmware install of ~40-50% of fleet most likely when you select the check for update button there will be one waiting.

Now we get to the root of what you are really asking for. The app already lets you install a software update remotely... you are just unhappy with the speed of notifications.

Reactions: coconutboy84
..and the ability to check remotely.

Splitting hairs here, because when you open the app and the car is ready to deliver a software update for you, it shows up in the app. You are not disputing that it shows up in the app, correct? There is not that much benefit in spamming that "check for updates" button in the car except getting the update 1-3 days before it shows up in the app for you to install (you already agreed with this as well).

I know for a fact there is a delay of at least 3 days from when your car is "ready" for an update to when your car and or APP advises you.

So, you just want the app to show it faster, or as I said, are unhappy with the speed the app notifies you. What you likely REALLY want, is the ability to get the update as soon as it comes out on your own schedule, instead of waiting for tesla to push it to you... but tesla does not want their fleet all on the same update all at once in case there is an issue with the updates. Much safer to roll them out in batches because its easier to stop, etc.

You just appear to be asking for it in a really round about way that doesnt make sense to most of us here.