Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Scroll Wheel Movement -- What's Intuitive And Perhaps Why

Do you find the scroll wheel movement intuitive or counter-intuitive and do you use Windows or Mac?

• I find the current scroll wheel movement intuitive and I use mainly Mac computers.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I find the current scroll wheel movement counter-intuitive and I use mainly Mac computers.

Votes: 6 11.1%
  • I find the current scroll wheel movement intuitive and I use mainly Windows computers.

Votes: 17 31.5%
  • I find the current scroll wheel movement counter-intuitive and I use mainly Windows computers.

Votes: 9 16.7%
  • I find the current scroll wheel movement intuitive and I use both Mac and Windows computers.

Votes: 7 13.0%
  • I find the current scroll wheel movement counter-intuitive and I use both Mac and Windows computers.

Votes: 8 14.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are many programmers on these forums. Tesla should grant us access to the non-safety-critical systems code (like for the CID) and let us improve it. They can code review and test the merge requests before taking them. I'd gladly spend weekend hours fixing the media player, scroll wheels, and other neglected areas.

Reactions: HankLloydRight
I think in a world where smartphones/tablets are prevalent, it's more natural to have the up/down motion correspond to whatever is the thing that moves on screen. For example, if the CID was tall enough to display a static list of options, and the scroll wheel moved the selection box up and down, then I would expect that scrolling up moves the selection up. However, that is not the case — the selection box remains at the centre of the screen, and the list of options moves up and down. Therefore I expect the scroll wheel to behave like a horizontal cylinder, with the list of options written on it, and scrolling it up should move the list up (resulting in the selection box moving to the one below the previously selected item).

Reactions: Andyw2100
The poll has been up for a while now. Still not enough respondents to really be significant, but...

As of 1:10 AM 1/25, the intuitive / counter-intuitive counts are:
Intuitive: 26
Counter-intuitive: 21

There doesn't seem to be any bias based on computer usage.

We do have just over twice the number of Windows users responding as Mac users:

Windows: 25
Mac: 12
Both: 10