Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Should I black out my MC Red?

Should I black out/chrome delete my MC Red?

• Leave the wheels in the original silver

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been thinking about blacking out my multicoat red Model S and are interested in members' views. I'm considering several options including blacking out all of the chrome trim with 3m carbon fiber wrap, leaving a number of chrome pieces in place (e.g. the T badges front and rear), or not doing it at all.

I also have a set of arachnid wheels. I dislike black wheels but am considering having them powder coated in hyper black, kind of like a gunmetal or dark silver. This is close to what hyperblack looks like:

Opinions sought.

My Model S (first Tesla) is being delivered in September. I'm planning on blacking out all the chrome with plastidip and glossifier. I've seen some examples online that (in my opinion) look really cool.

For example, here is a signature red blacked out:
maxresdefault.jpg

If you could get a chrome delete that matches that hyper black / gunmetal color; I'd think pretty hard about that. Chrome and blacked out aren't the only two options for trim. I saw a blue 100D that did a platinum chrome delete to match the wheels and it looked pretty great.

You are just bored because you have done every possible project to your car under the sun.
You need to think up some new stuff or start doing some of those that we did while you were working on your own.
Dual Blackvues to get 360 protection and my Footwell Cover Holder on TT.

I've finally made a decision, which was largely driven by the arrival of a set of arachnid wheels that I'm going to have powder coated in chrome black, which is a very dark almost black silver color that requires a three-stage process to create. All of the chrome trim, including my lighted rear applique and the door handles, will then be wrapped in VViViD Supercast Black Conform Chrome Metallic wrap. Here's an approximation of the way the black chrome arachnid wheels may look like (these are not arachnid wheels but have the same basic shape). I have to say that black chrome is a silvery black and that in person it's much more interesting IMHO than pure black.

BTW, the arachnid wheels are made in the UK, which I found interesting in itself.

Once all of the work is done I'll post a bunch of photos. But this make take about a month. My car won't be back from the body shop until the week after next and the wheels will take about 3 weeks to powder coat (they have to be shipped to Texas for this special process to be done).

74328-black.jpg

Looks very nice. That's my plan, except I'm going black on the wheels too. Did you use any glossifier on the plasti dip?

I would highly recommend vinyl wrap for the chrome delete over plastic dip. Although the plastic dip looks great when first applied , it is much easier to scratch/damage. 3M vinyl wrap is much more durable and easier to clean. In addition, it is much more painless to remove vinyl wrap down the road. In regards to the wheels, I would recommend powder coat in a gloss or satin black.

I would highly recommend vinyl wrap for the chrome delete over plastic dip. Although the plastic dip looks great when first applied , it is much easier to scratch/damage. 3M vinyl wrap is much more durable and easier to clean. In addition, it is much more painless to remove vinyl wrap down the road. In regards to the wheels, I would recommend powder coat in a gloss or satin black.

I'm leasing, so I'm not gonna powder coat the wheels. I've seen plastidip be easily removed as long as you apply it correctly. We'll see how it goes...

I'm leasing, so I'm not gonna powder coat the wheels. I've seen plastidip be easily removed as long as you apply it correctly. We'll see how it goes...

It makes sense that you will be choosing Plastic dip for that reason. I actually used the anthracite grey plastic dip on wheels in the past and I can agree it does look great. If you decide you want your chrome accents to match the plastic dip (antracite grey), the vinyl that matches almost perfect is (3M 1080 Dark Matte Grey).

After being without it since the end of June I get my car back from the body shop tomorrow evening. It will go right to the wrap shop for a chrome black out. They’ll be using a wrap that closely resembles real carbon fiber — VViivd Black Tech Gloss Carbon. I originally bought the RPM Tesla stuff but it didn’t look very real to me. Same case with the other carbon fiber wraps. Then I found the VVivid wrap. Wrapped my lighted rear appliqué first — everyone thought it was the real stuff.

The black chrome arachnid wheels go on the car a day later.

Will post some photos when all of the work is done.

Reactions: DC Autocraft
  • Love
Reactions: Akikiki and Olds442