Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Stalks; or haptic wheel buttons and on screen ‘shifting’

Primary controls?

• Physical

Votes: 31 73.8%
  • Haptic

Votes: 11 26.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
D

Dan_Foster

Regarding the new Model S controls, do you…

• Prefer stationary, physical primary controls in industry standard positions

or…

• haptic buttons on yoke (or wheel); ‘shifting’ on touch screen; horn ‘button’ on yoke spoke?

How well does it guess intended direction in situations wherein it could save the driver multiple, rapid stalk clicks e.g.: multipoint tuns (k-turns, 3-point) and super tight parking maneuvers? (My understanding is it only saves one click coming out of ‘Park’ if an obstacle makes it obvious which way is best?)

How well does it guess intended direction in situations wherein it could save the driver multiple, rapid stalk clicks e.g.: multipoint tuns (k-turns, 3-point) and super tight parking maneuvers? (My understanding is it only saves one click coming out of ‘Park’ if an obstacle makes it obvious which way is best?)
Yeah, it’s pretty good. But I always double check. That is correct, it only moves out of park after tapping the break. It will not go from drive to reverse for example.

It seems to be learning. Mostly it guesses correctly…I’d say maybe 80% of the time, maybe more. One oddity was that it would always guess drive in my garage when I needed to back out. That was for a month+. Then just in the last week or so it now knows reverse is the appropriate Direction.

But if it only saves one stalk click out of park by guessing correctly 80% of the time, and you still must confirm, and the lack of a stalk forces awkward, on-screen ‘shifting’ for multi-point maneuvers, why do you “…like it a lot?”

I’m holding back from ordering a new S because of the uncomfortable lack of feel in the new stalkless haptic controls, especially the horn button disaster and the on-screen ‘shifting’; so I’m truly trying to understand what—if anything—is better that people like.

Compared with my 2015 S, these new primary controls feel just awful to me. (And I should mention that I’m an extremely tech-forward/early adopter type person.)

Reactions: pilotSteve
The whole guessing which way you want to go is a solution looking for a problem that doesn't exist. I wonder if an aftermarket company will create a tactile shifter button that can be mounted in the cabin.

Having the horn available at the thumb can be nice sometimes. 1st gen Miatas had two horn buttons near your thumb and nothing in the center. It was nice to be able to maintain both hands on the wheel and blast the horn if someone intrudes into your lane. As you'd also realize, however, if you have to blow the horn in the middle of a turn, you're a lot less likely to be able to do it quickly. A shame Tesla didn't implement both.

It’s literally absurd. Flicking the stalk to change to direction, as I have done for 140,000 miles of driving my Model S is the perfect control input. It requires no confirmation, literally never fails, people with no Tesla experience are immediately comfortable with it, there’s no need to take your eyes off the road, you can do it in think gloves, you can do it when you’ve turned around to maneuver into a really tight space (like my driveway) and it’s satisfying. Without a clutch nor gears to change, there’s precious little to do when driving a Tesla—the few tactile inputs that remain are an important part of the experience. Porsche gets this; Elon Musk does not.

The elimination of the ‘shift’ stalk is an egregious case of a solution looking for a problem.

I don't like the horn, but prefer the on screen shifting. I also want an OFF for the wiper button. Getting out without having to put it in park is also smarter.

Yoke is really growing on me after a month. I think it is an improvement. Funny the new Corvette has a similar wheel that no one talks about.

Yes, horn button is stupid. Wipers drive me nuts—they rarely if ever do automatically what they should.

We’ve always been able to get out without putting it in park.

Yoke is fine; it’s the lack of physical controls to which I vehemently object.

Very serious question: why do you prefer the on-screen ‘shifter?’

I find the on screen shifter very easy to use. One can engage reverse and drive during a multipoint turn very quickly. it does not require a full swipe of the entire screen. It’s more like a short, quick drag and the change has happened. Yes, that also can be done with a stalk. I see no downside to the screen shifting whatsoever, but if you’re asking if it’s a groundbreaking improvement, no it’s not. It’s incremental in my view.

Reactions: DrJ
It’s literally absurd. Flicking the stalk to change to direction, as I have done for 140,000 miles of driving my Model S is the perfect control input. It requires no confirmation, literally never fails, people with no Tesla experience are immediately comfortable with it, there’s no need to take your eyes off the road, you can do it in think gloves, you can do it when you’ve turned around to maneuver into a really tight space (like my driveway) and it’s satisfying. Without a clutch nor gears to change, there’s precious little to do when driving a Tesla—the few tactile inputs that remain are an important part of the experience. Porsche gets this; Elon Musk does not.

The elimination of the ‘shift’ stalk is an egregious case of a solution looking for a problem.

I think it's more of a "Hey, look at me" moment

I’d go back to a traditional steering wheel + stalks in a heartbeat. Making a left turn at a light followed by an immediate right turn into a driveway or another turning is absolutely impossible to signal for. I honestly have no idea what Tesla was thinking. Sure, I’m adapting (by literally not signaling because I physically can’t!) but this was a poor decision.

This change is never coming to Model 3/Y.

I don't like the horn, but prefer the on screen shifting. I also want an OFF for the wiper button. Getting out without having to put it in park is also smarter.

Yoke is really growing on me after a month. I think it is an improvement. Funny the new Corvette has a similar wheel that no one talks about.
I think the (rather significant) difference is...the Corvette steering wheel has ~50% MORE surface area to use, than the yoke.

I find the on screen shifter very easy to use. One can engage reverse and drive during a multipoint turn very quickly. it does not require a full swipe of the entire screen. It’s more like a short, quick drag and the change has happened. Yes, that also can be done with a stalk. I see no downside to the screen shifting whatsoever, but if you’re asking if it’s a groundbreaking improvement, no it’s not. It’s incremental in my view.
Disagree. A friend said he had difficulty making a 3 point turn with on coming traffic.

Reactions: Dan_Foster
Ok. Well, I hope your friend is ok. What are you disagreeing with?
He is fine, thank you. When you said that you do not see any downside to screen shifting it is because thankfully you did not need to manuever the car in a close situation. He said he had to take his eyes off the road to make the 3 pt turn. Where as if he had a stalk, that doesn't come into play. Also the horn, if you are turning the yoke and need the horn, it is very difficult to hit it. My point is in emergency situations the new controls are awful. There is minimal or no upside with a lot of downside. None of their wives will attempt to drive their cars. In Florida by me there are a ton of Model S that women drive, I do not see any of them ever buying another one with the yoke. It's very dissapointing to me because I want the S but can not justify settling for a $100k car.