Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: stay on v10 or download v11?

v10 or v11?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
For v11, as of the state on Christmas Eve when it was originally released, it made sense to hold off and stay with v10. However, with today's state, there is no point to still get yourself stuck with v10. V11 has already addressed the most complained inconveniences in the UI. And it is obvious to me how v11 has been improving the algorithms on everything, like AP's smoothness, auto wiper, SoC estimation for trips, etc.
It is true that they backed away from a few V11 craziness and reintroduced the V10 (navigation, seat warmers). However, climate controls is still more cumbersome compared to V10. The tray makes entertainment more cumbersome and the music selection is worse than V10. Take FF/RW through a podcast, for example. Making it acceptable does not mean better.
No change in AP smoothness or SoC estimates, autowipers still worse than my 20yr old Audi.
Radar removed with all the consequences from that - crazy auto wipers and ridiculous auto high beams when you enable AP; max high speed reduced; min followed distance increased (visual ranging is older technology than radio wave ranging - less accurate and slower); does not see beyond the car in front of you; does not see in fog/heavy snow.
Sound art still not working (why is this so difficult to fix?!).

Last edited:
^^ agree with the above. V11, even long after the "fixes", still has fundamental UI issues.

• Touch target priorities and graphics layers can lose consistency when modal dialogs are active.
  • The "quick access" climate controls - the convenient place for defrost actions - cannot be accessed without changing the current climate temperature.
  • The "auto" seat heaters will still heat the passenger seat, even when the passenger airflow has been disabled because no person is detected.
  • For those with kids, it takes extra steps (a different page of the UI) to see if the rear climate is active.
  • Making single-value changes with a slider is far far far more difficult when driving than a pair of buttons (temps, fan speed) - particularly in the central location on the display where bracing along the bezel isn't possible.
  • The blind spot camera window obscures the red highlighted vehicle when the forward collision warning activates (FCW, which is of urgent importance, doesn't preempt the blind spot camera).
  • UI panes can be closed by swiping, but individual UI items swiped over are still modified when the gesture moves across (such as swiping down across the climate controls)
  • The music system *still* auto-plays immediately when the door is opened, even if music was stopped the last time the car was driven.
  • The new resizable theater mode allows access to other controls, but removes the convenient commonly used quick access controls that were previously available. So changing the temperature while watching a movie is more steps and more disruptive.

Waypoints, blind spot camera, and alternate routes are great features. But the rest, even after the fixes, is still a disaster from a UI perspective.

I know that you dont think it could be considered an improvement, but tbh this is kind of a weak position to still be stuck on at this point.

It’s really not. Vision only objectively is not as good. At least in SoCal where I drive, where it would be expected to perform as good as with radar since the weather is consistently nice and it’s in California. Even if you do not factor in phantom slow downs and braking events– the enabling of auto high beams, auto wipers, max speed of 85mph, and follow distance minimum of 2 are all regressions even if slight, and clearly show that Tesla is not as confident in vision only since none of those limitations are present with vision + radar.

Reactions: Boza
It’s really not. Vision only objectively is not as good. At least in SoCal where I drive, where it would be expected to perform as good as with radar since the weather is consistently nice and it’s in California. Even if you do not factor in phantom slow downs and braking events– the enabling of auto high beams, auto wipers, max speed of 85mph, and follow distance minimum of 2 are all regressions even if slight, and clearly show that Tesla is not as confident in vision only since none of those limitations are present with vision + radar.

They did the same limitations when they switched from Mobileye to AP2 -- of course it means they aren't confident. Don't forget Vision had a 75mph cap initially. Raised to 80, then 85. No doubt it will reach 90 just like Radar AP.

The reliance on ridiculously buggy auto wipers and auto high beams makes the AP useless.

Not much to say here, except the auto high beams appear to have been aggressively worked on in the FSD code.. they are far improved to the point its impressive how well they work sometimes. But they still flicker randomly with no cars around on occasion too.

Wipers -- clean your windshield, man :)

At this point, I am at a loss what kind of cleaner to use. Even tried scented candles and chants. Maybe I should apply the Tesla philosophy and just remove the windshield - it cases too much confusion.

Both are so broken that I never use them. Try them after every update but end up disable them.

I could agree with my very specific route, but just saying that it doesnt do that good a job where you drive is not a wholistic criticism. Its several times better if that than it was when i first got it before it went vision only. Its gonna get better so you might have to just cope with that you are probably going to, in time, end up being wrong.

I could agree with my very specific route, but just saying that it doesnt do that good a job where you drive is not a wholistic criticism. Its several times better if that than it was when i first got it before it went vision only. Its gonna get better so you might have to just cope with that you are probably going to, in time, end up being wrong.

I’d happily be wrong at some point! Why wouldn’t I want vision only to be superior? Of course I do. Right now I’m correct, and I can’t wait until I’m not.