Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: stay on v10 or download v11?

v10 or v11?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I’m still on v10 on my 2018 M3 AWD with the newer MCU computer (to allow FSD).

Wondering if I should download the v11 or stick with v10.

I know service upgrades require the latest software downloaded, but I’m holding out till/if that happens.

I’ve tried FSD on a friend’s M3, and it was cool. However I prefer the v10 layout.

What’s your preference? Feel free to vote on the poll.

Slipstream

Last edited:
Hi all,

I know service upgrades require the latest software downloaded, but I’m holding out till/if that happens.
I’ve tried FSD on a friend’s M3, and it was cool. However I prefer the v10 layout.
Slipstream
You don't really have a choice. When V11 is released (it hasn't been yet AFAIK). You can decline it or schedule it for some time in the future, but you will continually be nagged to install the software. It almost always brings substantial improvements (and boy do we need them on palladium X & S).

Hi all,

Slipstream
Is there a particular reason that you are holding off on updating? If not you should definitely update. They are constantly improving things especially autopilot.

The v10 layout is something that i miss a little but in time it wont be better than the features they are adding. One in particular is the option i just got to apply the physical brakes when regen is limited, so that way you can actually drive the same way with 1 pedal no matter the SOC or battery temp.

Reactions: pilotSteve
You don't really have a choice. When V11 is released (it hasn't been yet AFAIK). You can decline it or schedule it for some time in the future, but you will continually be nagged to install the software. It almost always brings substantial improvements (and boy do we need them on palladium X & S).
V11 was released in December 2021 (Elon's Holiday Update lump of coal to us all). Also, you can decline for quite some time unless Tesla decides an update is critical for your specific car hardware config. I am still on the last V9 build from December 2021 in fact! It will bug you for a week or two when it downloads a new update, but that goes away eventually unless you accept to schedule installing it (be very careful where you tap).

Reactions: Mikecm1
It would be slightly disappointing to have a battery warranty claim denied due to not having complied with the requirement to install software updates.

Usually, when this comes up, people on the "I am waiting" side say something to the effect of "Those warranty exclusions dont apply to me" or "Tesla cant do that" even though its spelled out fairly clearly in Teslas warranty document. So, people waiting think the following doesnt apply. Dont know if anyone has tested it yet, legally. The warranty document, along with the relevant part, below:

=====================================================

Tesla warranty a.png

Tesla warranty b.png

V11 was released in December 2021 (Elon's Holiday Update lump of coal to us all). Also, you can decline for quite some time unless Tesla decides an update is critical for your specific car hardware config. I am still on the last V9 build from December 2021 in fact! It will bug you for a week or two when it downloads a new update, but that goes away eventually unless you accept to schedule installing it (be very careful where you tap).
You can tap anywhere outside the popup to dismiss it. It's totally muscle memory for me now, like putting on a seat belt of checking the mirrors.

• Informative
He's talking about the MCU software v11.. which came out last December as the holiday update and had the massive UI changes.

Usually, when this comes up, people on the "I am waiting" side say something to the effect of "Those warranty exclusions dont apply to me" or "Tesla cant do that" even though its spelled out fairly clearly in Teslas warranty document. So, people waiting think the following doesnt apply. Dont know if anyone has tested it yet, legally. The warranty document, along with the relevant part, below:

=====================================================

View attachment 857493

View attachment 857494

Doesn’t give a timeframe though. Just says “after”. So if you have a battery problem, install the update. There, you did it after like they have in writing.

Doesn’t give a timeframe though. Just says “after”. So if you have a battery problem, install the update. There, you did it after like they have in writing.

These are the most connected cars in the world. The install time / date of the updates will be readily apparent to anyone in tesla that looks, so what you propose will not change anything at all related to the requirement stated above.

These are the most connected cars in the world. The install time / date of the updates will be readily apparent to anyone in tesla that looks, so what you propose will not change anything at all related to the requirement stated above.

I know that. But the verbiage literally says “Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available”.

They don’t say how long after. After is after whether it’s 10 seconds or 10 years. Do they have an exact timeframe written somewhere in the warranty terms? If not, that’s a simple slam dunk for any lawyer. Contracts need to be specific.

I know that. But the verbiage literally says “Installing the vehicle's software updates after notification that there is an update available”.

They don’t say how long after. After is after whether it’s 10 seconds or 10 years. Do they have an exact timeframe written somewhere in the warranty terms? If not, that’s a simple slam dunk for any lawyer. Contracts need to be specific.

I agree, and I am not a lawyer so I have no idea how this would work.

With that being said, if someone goes all the way to court over something like this, and then Tesla says:

"your honor, our records show that the plaintiff did not even attempt to install the updates required by our warranty until after problem X occured, and in fact cleared / refused the updates on these dates (show list of dates updates were presented to the vehicle and not installed / declined)"

it seems to me that some response other than "well I did it after I saw the problem and the contract says "after" would be needed. Perhaps not, though.

I would suggest holding off for as long as you can. V11 did not bring any improvements (just moved things around in the UI) and arguably made things worse - removed the radar and the UI is more cumbersome. Unless you care about Sonic the Hedgehog.
Unfortunately, you cannot hold off forever. Either a service center visit will update or the update will install itself eventually.

• Informative
For v11, as of the state on Christmas Eve when it was originally released, it made sense to hold off and stay with v10. However, with today's state, there is no point to still get yourself stuck with v10. V11 has already addressed the most complained inconveniences in the UI. And it is obvious to me how v11 has been improving the algorithms on everything, like AP's smoothness, auto wiper, SoC estimation for trips, etc.

Reactions: Hayseed_MS