Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll Survey: Your Choice of Model X Tires

Select the responses(s) below that best match your choice of Model X tires

• 20" - Stock Continental CrossContact LX Sport tires.

Votes: 4 19.0%
  • 20" - Other Continental Tires (model?)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 20" - Michelin Tires (model?)

Votes: 5 23.8%
  • 20" - Nitto Tires (model?)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • 20" - Goodyear Tires (model?)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 20" - Yokohama Tires (model?)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 20" - Bridgestone Tires (brand/model?)

• 20" - Other Tires (brand/model?)

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 19" - Stock or Other Tires (brand/model?)

Votes: 2 9.5%
  • 22" - Stock Pirelli Scorpion Tires

Votes: 3 14.3%
  • 22" - Other Tires (brand/model?)

Votes: 1 4.8%
  • None of the above (size/brand/model?)

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

tps5352

Supporting Member
I meant to include this poll with my previous Post ("New" vs. "Old" Model X Tires).

Feel free to elaborate in your comments.

When it comes to choosing tires, was your major concern:
  1. Staying with the stock, OEM, Tesla-approved tire model?
  2. Mileage?
  3. Cost?
  4. Ride comfort?
  5. Performance (handling/speed)?
  6. Safety?
  7. Inclement weather (rain, ice, snow)?
  8. Other?
Lastly, are your current wheels/tires still staggered (w/slightly wider rear wheels)?

Last edited:
My Model X is relatively new and I am a first-time Tesla owner. So for now I'm cautiously sticking with Tesla-approved stock OEM tires. That said, my Long Range Plus Model X was an inventory car and came with (the beautiful) black 22-inch wheels and (Pirelli Scorpion) tires. For better mileage and comfort I immediately swapped those out for new, staggered, 20" Slipstream wheels and Continental tires (from another Model X owner who had done the opposite). I'm building a second, back-up wheel-set, and it too will consist of stock 20" rims, TPMS sensors, and tires (albeit with possibly a different rim color).

Last edited:
So, an interesting development if you find mind-numbingly esoteric tire minutia interesting:

Continental just superseded the Tesla-spec "T0" Model X tires with a "T1". Same size, model, and apparent tread pattern, still made in Portugal. I only caught on to this because I had to replace one tire and noticed it had a different OE tire code than the other three. My fronts and right rear are T0 spec made mid-2020 according to the DOT code on the sidewall. My 18th week of 2021 production left rear is a T1 spec.

Also, didn't the old spec get molded at 8.5/32"? The new spec is molded at 9/32" according to Tire Rack. Wonder what, if any, changes there are under the proverbial skin.

Anyway, knowing what can go on behind the scenes with purportedly the "same" tires, and knowing that I'm lazy and need new fronts soon anyway, I'lm going to stick with the contis for now. Other than wear I'm pretty happy with them, and the wear is really more of an alignment problem.

• Helpful
Reactions: tps5352
So, an interesting development if you find mind-numbingly esoteric tire minutia interesting:

Continental just superseded the Tesla-spec "T0" Model X tires with a "T1"...

Ha, ha. Yes, guilty as charged.

Right. I talk about the new replacement tire in my previous post ("New" vs. "Old" Model X Tires).

Right now I am married to the stock tire, not knowing any better. But in, say, five years (or sooner) maybe I'll want to try another brand?

My first choice would be what ever Pirelli makes that fits. I replaced my Model 3 18” Michelin with 19” Pirelli and loved them. I run 19” (Square Setup) Pirelli Snows (OEM Tesla) and like those more than the Summer Staggered 20” Continentals. Can’t wait until they wear out.
Oh both Pirelli’s had no foam and replaced tires with foam and they are both quieter.

• Informative
Am I imagining things or was the old part number 8.5/32" and the new one is listed at 9/32"?

Don't think so, but not 100% certain. As far as I know new tread depth has been 9/32 of an inch. However, I've also seen new tread depth listed as 10/32" on some company sites. My inexpensive depth meter has always registered it as 9/32" in "old" new tires. I will check the "new" new tires.

I just replaced all my MX 20" tires with Michelin Cross Climate tires, which carry a 40,000 mile warranty as opposed to the OE Continentals. The Michelins have exhibited great handling and are very quiet, just as quiet as the OE Continentals, and are rated as snow tires, not just all-season.

Am I imagining things or was the old part number 8.5/32" and the new one is listed at 9/32"?

...I will check the "new" new tires.

My cheap mechanical tire tread gauge registers ~9/32" for both the T0 new tire and the T1 new tire. But It's very possible that using this simple device tread depth measurements vary slightly as you move around the circumference of the tire and sample from groove to groove. Maybe new tread depth can vary from point to point, say from 17/64" to 19/64", or something? Does air temperature affect tread depth?

Actually, I am amazed by the whole tire production thing--how they can pour molten rubber into a mold and achieve such accuracy and precision--plus with the the belts and the ply--over and over for hundreds of thousands of tires or more? Then take into account all the different present and past models and variations of cars, plus custom wheels, not to mention tires for farm equipment, lawnmowers, motorcycles, ATVs, bicycles, forklifts, airplanes, and historic vehicles of all kinds--it's mind boggling. Where does all the rubber come from? (I know; southeast Asia. But still.) What a shame that so many used tires still end up wasted (not recycled). And auto tire production demands may actually increase with tire-eating electric cars, like the Model X.

Just Pirelli supplying the ten F1 Formula 1 racing teams with (this year) five different tire compounds (soft to hard) and three tire types (slick, intermediate, and wet-weather tires) seems like an incredible task, and that is just a tiny, tiny portion of Pirelli's overall tire production.

Last edited:
tire manufacturing is in a stealthy golden age right now from a technological perspective. Advancements in tire tech coupled with driver aids have made what would have looked like insane performance just 20 years ago pretty ho-hum and commonplace bexause the tires can a) stand up to the demands and b) Can be safely exploited much more fully with stability control running in the background

• Informative
Reactions: Harvey Danger
I’m on Nokian WR G3 - 265 45r20 SUV .(square) -now obsolete with the G4 tires out. I have about about 7k miles on them and perfectly satisfied with the tires. This is daily driving, not Nurburgring. They have great grip, top priority for me. As far as rolling resistance, most of my miles are under 60mph on the island and I run 290-305Wh/m. Off island on the freeway more like 375Wh/m or more.
The noise is no worse than the 22” Pirellis it came with. The 22’s look amazing but I don’t like the ride and risk of damage- surface streets in Seattle are garbage and getting worse every day.

• Informative
With 32 k on my 2019 X with Continental Cross Contact 20 inch tires. The rears had funny wear on the inside and one had a screw in one that Costco tire shop said they couldn’t repair. I had it aligned at Tesla about a month ago. I Was going to install Michelin Crossclimate at Costco but fortunately, I saw them on another X and didn’t like how they looked.
Went to Big O tires at San Mateo and got Continental Extreme Contact Plus installed with three year road hazard and free flat repair (they can repair these at Big O) 1500. for all. These tires look great, ride great, and are quiet too; I hope I get more miles from these! Tesla service man said many don’t make 25k on original tires! Hope this information is useful to some.

• Informative
Reactions: X-Man and tps5352
...The rears had funny wear on the inside...

I heard that that can happen from running the suspension too often (whatever that means exactly) in a "low" position. Or would it be expected for all four tires? (So, anyway, I've been keeping my suspension in the default setting.) If true, that is kind of disheartening. Why offer manual suspension change if it is going to unduly damage tires? (I guess that a low setting is attractive for performance?)