Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: "Systems are powering up" error message

Do you get an error message “Systems are powering up. Please press brake when this message clears"

• I do not get this error message

Votes: 13 6.2%
  • I rarely get this error message on occasion, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 68 32.2%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it passes quickly.

Votes: 33 15.6%
  • I get this error message frequently, and it can take 15-30 seconds or more to clear.

Votes: 97 46.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Re: long hesitation at waking up-- I have my fingers crossed. Since downloading 12.1.2 the car has been bright eyed and attentive when I walk into the garage in the morning. The handles extend and the power receptacle responds. Also the rear camera hasn't been blank on awakening which had been happening a lot.

My car (April '16 S 75D) started doing this several months ago. Lately it happens almost every single time I get in the car and it always takes 20 to 30 seconds to clear. Very annoying. I do not have energy savings turned on.
So I tried turning on energy savings mode for a day which didn't help. But then after I turned it back off, it hasn't given me the "systems powering up" since. That seems to have fixed it for me - something in the system thought it was on?? but the display indicated it was off. Anyway it's working well for me now. My car has 2019.12.1.1 4b1dd29.

MCU2 cars don't seem to have an "energy savings mode" or a "keep awake mode" unlike the earlier cars. Probably just Intel trying to show they can be as energy efficient as Nvidia (as I understand it, Intel has always been poor at energy efficiency compared to any of its competitors, imbedded or not). It really is annoying and potentially unsafe, on both my new(er) S100D and my wife's 3; much more so than my P85D. Unsafe? Can't get the car to respond for ~ 15 seconds sometimes; if I was ever in a dark and lonely parking lot after dark, can't get in and go.

Reactions: 4SUPER9
...It really is annoying and potentially unsafe, on both my new(er) S100D and my wife's 3; much more so than my P85D. Unsafe? Can't get the car to respond for ~ 15 seconds sometimes; if I was ever in a dark and lonely parking lot after dark, can't get in and go.
Could not agree more. I can't count how many times I needed to get going quickly, only to have that message stop me dead in my tracks. Honestly, I cannot believe there isn't more of an uproar about this. It is a flagrant flaw and is totally inexcusable.

I thought it was gone but it came back for me last week. Was away on a 5 day trip, car parked at airport (not plugged in). I did NOT shut down the apps on my phone or do anything differently. Checked car about daily. Three days into trip, app failed to be able to connect to car. Landed back home, could not connect to car or start climate to cool it down. Got to car. Walk up entry did not work. I had to use keyfob double press to unlock it (doors then all presented). Got in car and got the "systems are powering up message". Waited 3 minutes then gave up and did the "brake + scroll wheel press to reset MCU" and that got things working again.

I thought it was gone but it came back for me last week. Was away on a 5 day trip, car parked at airport (not plugged in). I did NOT shut down the apps on my phone or do anything differently. Checked car about daily. Three days into trip, app failed to be able to connect to car. Landed back home, could not connect to car or start climate to cool it down. Got to car. Walk up entry did not work. I had to use keyfob double press to unlock it (doors then all presented). Got in car and got the "systems are powering up message". Waited 3 minutes then gave up and did the "brake + scroll wheel press to reset MCU" and that got things working again.
This sounds like a similar but different issue, given that you needed a reboot to fix the problem. Having that happen on a rare occasion is understandable (though still annoying). What about on daily driving? I am interested to see if others who have updated are seeing an improvement.

This sounds like a similar but different issue, given that you needed a reboot to fix the problem. Having that happen on a rare occasion is understandable (though still annoying). What about on daily driving? I am interested to see if others who have updated are seeing an improvement.

It was happening to me every morning and after a wait of at least a minute with nothing happening, it took a reboot to bring up the dash and the screen. I was also often losing the back-up camera display. I seem to be behind the curve, because I haven't had an upgrade since 19.12.1.2, but after that, there have been no delays in powering up. i am keeping my fingers crossed. Once, the back-up camera failed to come up, but a soft boot in transit brought it back.

Got message last night in my 2017 Model X 75D. I'm up to date on all the software updates, think it updated like 2 days ago. Message didn't go away after 5 minutes so I did a soft and hard reboot. It still didn't go away and I had to wait like 10-15 minutes before it went away on it's own. I've had the message before in my 2014 Model S but it usually goes away pretty quick. 10-15 minutes this time in a newer vehicle is horrible.

It's an ongoing issue. If you get it and wait more than 15 seconds, do a scroll wheel reset with brake depressed. It will clear things and reboot the computer. That's been my solution for the last two years...
You are still having this? I have not for awhile. I am on FW 2019.28 (with a new update pending). It improved to always less than 5 seconds before this one. I have not had even a split second of delay since this FW