Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: TACC vs. Normal Cruise Control

Are you happy with TACC; do you want Normal Cruise Control?

• TACC is fine, I use it often. NCC not needed.

Votes: 73 62.9%
  • TACC is flawed, I use it but NCC would be welcome.

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • TACC is unusable, I need NCC.

Votes: 6 5.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just took a long road trip from WI to FL (and back) and used TACC almost exclusively. In general it worked quite well when cruising at high speed on the freeway. I used it in slow, heavy traffic as well and it worked quite well. On 5 occasions - when the car was cruising along normally at say 75 mph, the car would suddenly change the cruise control speed to say 45 mph (even though the speed limit symbol in the upper right corner remained 70 mph) and then rapidly decelerate. It happened on three consecutive off ramps the first time and on two consecutive off ramps the second time. In all cases, it happened as the car was just passing an exit ramp (it happened whether I was in the slow lane or in the fast lane). Any idea why the TACC is reacting this way ? We did experience a number of brief phantom braking episodes with no apparent obstacle and the slow response of TACC to accelerate after moving over to pass a slower car required accelerator input to re-accelerate back up to speed. Having to re-engage auto-steer every time you made a lane change got tiresome too (hopefully the column stalk switch is good for millions of toggles). Hopefully Tesla is reviewing these logs and making fixes.

Interesting comparing the comments in this thread and contrast to the voting (at least as of the time of this post). The posts would seem to indicate that it is a rarely used feature, but 60%+ of the votes are for "TACC is fine, I use it often. NCC not needed."

Right now, AP is (IMO) about 98% on the highway. It took a little bit of dip in reliability with 2019.50.40.X (I might get phantom braking every couple of days whereas before it was rare if ever). Hopefully that get's reversed on future iterations.

This is common for any sort of "complaint vs. everything is fine" discussion. But I think something we need to account for in the poll is there is a disproportionate amount of Teslas in California. These are generally stuck in slower-moving highway traffic (to my understanding) more than the rest of the Tesla fleet. Here, TACC actually works fairly well IMO. It's where you're not expecting any slowdown that TACC is sometimes annoying due to the "phantom braking" issues. This is where "normal" cruise would be nice. Also for the reason another pointed out, it's just nicer for passing since the car will always slow down as if you're going to be locked behind the car in front.

And as a reminder, from the Owner's Manual (page 78):

and (emphasis mine)

So don't complain that it doesn't work perfectly on surface streets - it is not intended to.

Like another said, then Tesla should give us a non-beta option that's been around for decades. Beta or nothing is an odd approach when a perfectly functioning alternative exists in nearly every other vehicle, from econoboxes to luxury vehicles.

Just took a long road trip from WI to FL (and back) and used TACC almost exclusively. In general it worked quite well when cruising at high speed on the freeway. I used it in slow, heavy traffic as well and it worked quite well. On 5 occasions - when the car was cruising along normally at say 75 mph, the car would suddenly change the cruise control speed to say 45 mph (even though the speed limit symbol in the upper right corner remained 70 mph) and then rapidly decelerate. It happened on three consecutive off ramps the first time and on two consecutive off ramps the second time. In all cases, it happened as the car was just passing an exit ramp (it happened whether I was in the slow lane or in the fast lane). Any idea why the TACC is reacting this way ? We did experience a number of brief phantom braking episodes with no apparent obstacle and the slow response of TACC to accelerate after moving over to pass a slower car required accelerator input to re-accelerate back up to speed. Having to re-engage auto-steer every time you made a lane change got tiresome too (hopefully the column stalk switch is good for millions of toggles). Hopefully Tesla is reviewing these logs and making fixes.

I haven't seen someone describe exactly this, so this is interesting. If I were to guess, it's the "feature" that slows the car around exit ramps to let people in or it's the newer feature of slowing down if there's slower moving traffic beside you. When I read that release note, I figured we'd see more phantom braking episodes.

Reactions: Tres_Azul
That's essentially how TACC works: the speed you set (which you can adjust after setting) and it the maximum your car will go. While it is not as "hard" of a limit as you reference, it takes a deliberate act by the driver to exceed it.

On my morning commute, I get into the HOV lane, set AP with the maximum speed I am willing to go (though I rarely get there with traffic) and then enjoy a far less stressful commute.
TACC is nothing like a speed limiter cruise control.

With speed limiter cruise control, when you are traveling below the set speed, the car behaves exactly as if cruise control was turned off. If you want to go faster you push the pedal down, if you want to go slower you let the paddle up.

With speed limiter cruise control you can make it act like regular cruise control by pushing the pedal all the way down (car will travel steady speed at set point), but instead of pressing the brake to deactivate you just let off the gas pedal.

There is a maximum speed setting on Tesla, which does behave essentially like speed limiter cruise control. The problem is it is very difficult to adjust the max speed setting while you are driving, and I'm not sure if you can set the maximum speed to a low-value like 30 mph.

The goal here is that you are fully in control of the speed. The car just won't let you break the speed limit(or whatever it is you set as the max).

Last edited:
Reactions: holmgang
With speed limiter cruise control, when you are traveling below the set speed, the car behaves exactly as if cruise control was turned off. If you want to go faster you push the pedal down, if you want to go slower you let the paddle up.

With speed limiter cruise control you can make it act like regular cruise control by pushing the pedal all the way down (car will travel steady speed at set point), but instead of pressing the brake to deactivate you just let off the gas pedal.

There is a maximum speed setting on Tesla, which does behave essentially like speed limiter cruise control. The problem is it is very difficult to adjust the max speed setting while you are driving, and I'm not sure if you can set the maximum speed to a low-value like 30 mph.

The goal here is that you are fully in control of the speed. The car just won't let you break the speed limit(or whatever it is you set as the max).
Trying to understand this. If I am reading this correctly, what you want is a speed limiter - something that prevents you from driving any faster than X-MPH? If so, I am not sure why you are tacking on "cruise control?" Not challenging you; just trying to understand.

As for setting the max speed, having you tried using voice control? "Set maximum speed to 30 miles per hour" for example. I am learning that there are lot of as yet undocumented controls available and this may very well be one of them.

Trying to understand this. If I am reading this correctly, what you want is a speed limiter - something that prevents you from driving any faster than X-MPH? If so, I am not sure why you are tacking on "cruise control?" Not challenging you; just trying to understand.

As for setting the max speed, having you tried using voice control? "Set maximum speed to 30 miles per hour" for example. I am learning that there are lot of as yet undocumented controls available and this may very well be one of them.
Because on a lot of (most?) other cars it is part of the cruise control system. On the cruise control stick / panel there are two buttons. Press one of them and it activates cruise control as a speed minimum, press the other and it activates cruise control as a speed maximum.

On 5 occasions - when the car was cruising along normally at say 75 mph, the car would suddenly change the cruise control speed to say 45 mph (even though the speed limit symbol in the upper right corner remained 70 mph) and then rapidly decelerate.
I haven't seen someone describe exactly this, so this is interesting. If I were to guess, it's the "feature" that slows the car around exit ramps to let people in or it's the newer feature of slowing down if there's slower moving traffic beside you. When I read that release note, I figured we'd see more phantom braking episodes.
I too have experienced this a couple of times since 2020.4.X. The second time this morning just before the merging of two lanes (there was still a concrete barrier present) and the adjacent traffic wasn't going much, if any, slower. Not as dramatic of a speed reduction, maybe 5-10 MPH, but I noticed it. I will be paying attention more to this phenomenon.

Happens to me all of teh time. Going from a 55 zone to a 45, and the cruise is set for 68 or so, usually with most traffic, but slower than some, when I hit the 45, it drops to 50 (rather tahn 54, not sure why), and needs to get there NOW. So I know and am prepared for that, so I cancel cruise before I get there, and slow down a bit less harshly. Important because most of the drivers around me do not slow down for the change in speed limit, particularly at 4:45AM when I hit this spot daily.

Another time it happens is when I go from one interstate to another, and the maps speed limit is wrong (actual is 65, maps reads 55). I'm gokng about 74, get onto the exit ramp to go from I-40 to I-140, and it drops my set speed, and rather than coasting down, hits teh brakes harshly.

I can anticipate most of this stuff, and do, but it is pretty preposterous, and dangerous, for the car to automatically brake hard in these scenarios.

Reactions: Tres_Azul
I can honestly say I have never seen that.

Here's what it looks like on a Hyundai.
Top left, normal cruise control. Bottom left speed limiter.
hqdefault.jpg

Ford - button is labeled Lim
images.jpeg

images.jpeg

@camalaio is very close to my opinion too. Now I don't quite want a dumb cruise, I want a cruise that will use the radar without using the fancy cameras. Keep the cameras for autopilot, which I also like in heavy stop-go traffic. A dumb cruise with radar would slow for a front vehicle but wouldn't slow down just because it can't see past a crest, or brake heavily because of a (supposedly) speed limit change in the database. Let me set my speed, just make sure I don't hit anyone in front, follow traffic.

To add another annoyance:
Last week it was mildly snowing. Tesla disabled TACC because the radar was blocked. Which left me with nothing but my right foot.

Yep. Granted, most of the time when it snows, the roads are slippery enough where it is advisable to not use cruise. But we often get snow when it s above freezing, so the traction isn't limited, and I have had that happen, as well.

I changed my vote from unusable to annoying, but usable. I generally know where it is going to slow at an appropriate level, and where it is going to do a hard brake check based on conditions, and I give enough pressure on teh throttle to preventatively override. Still can't help it if I'm in an unfamiliar area and it reacts to something like a shadow that I don't anticipate. But I've learned how to deal with its flaws for the msot part.

2021 model 3 / LR AWD/ 19's

I don't think we need NCC. TACC works great for all of the driving entities in front of me. Then it does stupid things related to stuff to the side. Like braking for someone walking on the side of the road or cyclists approaching a stop line on the right.

The answer is simple. Don't include functionality that doesn't work. The commercial version of TACC should be limited to the forward logic until the peripheral features work. Don't make me drive a prototype.

Blue

Reactions: sparty96