Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: To disable Autopilot or not?

Should Tesla listen to some media's suggestion to ban Autopilot?

• I am a Tesla owner/reservation holder with Autopilot and I do want a ban on Autopilot.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I am a Tesla owner/reservation holde without Autopilot feature and I do want a ban on Autopilot.

• I am not a Tesla owner/reservation holder and I do want a ban on Autopilot.

• I am a Tesla owner/reservation holder with Autopilot and I am undecided.

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Autopilot used correctly increases highway safety for me.
1. At night the car relaxes me for it sees the road so well.
2. I live in snow country and have found great comfort in being able to set Autopilot at low speeds in fog and whiteout conditions. The car only has to see the lines to keep me on the road and slows down etc. well before I can see the tail lights or car in front of me. Many drivers panic in such conditions & stop right in the lane. My X sees these people for me.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: Roger_wilco and GSP
The entire issue with Autopilot is education... If you want to ban autopilot then you should ban vehicles altogether; when inappropriately used a vehicle is one of the most dangerous things on the planet, autopilot is considerably less dangerous when inappropriately used (but it is still dangerous if not used properly)...

I was giving a speech last night on autonomous driving and it is clear that TESLA's marketing department has done a good job at educating the public that a TESLA has autopilot... It was simultaneously clear that people didn't have any idea how it works and more importantly what the limitations are... When I explained to them that they should think of it more like "an elaborate cruise control feature with lane-keeping" they realized it isn't the "get in the car, take a nap, arrive at destination" type of system they thought it was...

It's all about education, TESLA has done a poor job at educating the consumers about the limitations of and actual capabilities of the present autopilot system. We all know that the future is bright and that the autopilot will evolve to do all the things we conceive it being possible of, but at the same time we need to understand that it simply isn't there yet. The software is still building, deep-learning takes time, the hardware is still maturing, EyeQ revision coming soon, increased processing power, ability to identify more "objects" and scenarios, etc. Autopilot is INCREDIBLE and shouldn't be removed from vehicles, but a push for educating people on what it is genuinely capable of and how it should be safely utilized is ESSENTIAL!

AP is the main feature I'm looking for with Model S or X, planned as a long distance car. But I'm still waiting for better 360 degree coverage.

We have a Model 3 reserved, but might not get AP on that one since it is likely our city driving car.

I answered the poll as a non-owner/reservation holder since I have only driven with AP on a short demo drive.

One accident does not make AP unsafe, we need better stats for that. But it may point out improvements that could be made.

...But I'm still waiting for better 360 degree coverage...

Tesla keeps on evolving all the time. You might as well have a budget to trade up your Tesla every few years just like smart phones.

Current Tesla does have 360 degree coverage from ultrasonic system but it's only limited to 16 feet which is too short of a distance to brake to a stop from a highway speed but it works great for low speed summoning.

Google uses $75,000 Velodyne LIDAR to map a whole block of street in 360 degrees but who would be willing to pay that much of money just for 1 component out of a suite of many other sensors.

Velodyne says it's expensive because it only makes about 500 annually and suspects the price should drop with high volume production.

Its goal is to mass-produce a watered-down version with a price of $100 but that day will be many years away.

Last edited:
AP is the main feature I'm looking for with Model S or X, planned as a long distance car. But I'm still waiting for better 360 degree coverage.

We have a Model 3 reserved, but might not get AP on that one since it is likely our city driving car.

I answered the poll as a non-owner/reservation holder since I have only driven with AP on a short demo drive.

One accident does not make AP unsafe, we need better stats for that. But it may point out improvements that could be made.

You should get autopilot if there is any chance that you might resell it one day. There is no way I would even consider buying a car without it.

I doubt there are many who have more autopilot miles behind them than I do....almost 40k miles in the past year and most with autopilot on (either cruise, lane keeping or both on). Its become like a seat belt in that I do not feel safety is optimized unless it is on. I drive in the middle of my lane, horrified at all the cars I see swerving in and out of the bike lane or all the way off the road in a few cases. On single lane roads, the capability to read speed limit signs and automatically change speeds accordingly has helped me to avoid tickets. On more than one occasion, the shrill warning that I am approaching a car too fast has allowed me to brake way before I otherwise would have. As a convenience on long road trips it is markedly better than the system on my wife's MDX or my daughter's Acura which seem to cause the car to bounce from one side of the lane to the other. If God forbid, I were to dose off while driving, my car would likely eventually come to a stop while theirs would just turn off their autopilot and allow them to careen off the road or into a pedestrian or another car.

It works so well, that I can see how it can lure one into complacency. I think the fatal accident is a wake up call to always be alert since the "perfect storm" of variables coming together requiring immediate human intervention will eventually occur.

I live near Williston FL where the fatal accident occurred, have studied the accident site and just happened to have had an opportunity to talk to a person who was called to the scene who knew I had a Tesla and brought it up. It was a horrific accident that involved the perfect storm of variables coming together.

There has already been another fatal accident at this exact fairly remote intersection. After reviewing the details of the more recent accident, I believe if both drivers had been in vehicles with autopilot technology the accident would probably have been avoided or injuries dramatically mitigated since all of the "perfect storm" variables were not present, especially the elevated trailer with clear space underneath. It seems like every week, there is another accident on the nearby interstate I- 75, many fatal. In almost every situation that I have witnessed, Autopilot tech would have prevented it...cars or trucks running into the back of others, running off the road or drifting outside their lane, hitting an adjacent car and losing control.

When I was shopping for a CPO I put a premium myself of close to $13 for AP. That is I would not by a non AP car unless it is $13K less with other equivalent specs.

Now having driven with AP for over 10k miles and 6 months, it would have been a big mistake if I had bought one with no AP whatever the discount.

Reactions: Tam
It's all about education, TESLA has done a poor job at educating the consumers about the limitations of and actual capabilities of the present autopilot system.

+1

It's a work-in-progress; system capabilities and consumer understanding are both in a state of flux. Hopefully they are converging.

Which means it's a great opportunity for the Tesla community to create videos, slogans, stickers and reminders to assist this process.

I was/am crazy enough to write new lyrics for a very irritating song from the 50s.

Last edited:
What's it matter what we vote? Tesla has already 100% ignored what Elon has stated publicly and decided to cripple AP more and more with each firmware update.
It's quite obvious that they feel that their own best interests are served by listening to all those who don't own Teslas and are clamouring to have it disabled instead of the owners who want them to leave it alone.

• Disagree
Reactions: msnow and ChadS
What's it matter what we vote?

No, it doesn't matter much with votes in here but with some concrete breakdown of numbers, it does give us some insights.

Tesla has already 100% ignored what Elon has stated publicly and decided to cripple AP more and more with each firmware update.

On the downside, it is true that freedom has been restricted more and more but on the other hand, Tesla should also be credited for trying their best to improve the system with the same hardware that owners got since October 2014.

It's quite obvious that they feel that their own best interests are served by listening to all those who don't own Teslas and are clamouring to have it disabled instead of the owners who want them to leave it alone.

I empathize your frustration. I hear you.

However, life is not perfect and Tesla has been very independent and has done what's best for owners.

Particularly, It did not cave in to the media's frenzied demand to immediately disable Autopilot, remove the word Autopilot...