TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll: to lower suspension or not

Discussion in 'Model S: Driving Dynamics' started by Kraken, Nov 17, 2013.

?

Would you accept the risk of road debris damage and keep the auto lowering suspension

1. Yes, I prefer the auto lowering suspension

79 vote(s)
    87.8%
  2. No, auto lowering isn't worth the risk of debris damage/fire

11 vote(s)
    12.2%
  1. Kraken

Kraken Member

Obviously the merits of changing the suspension without communicating with current owners is another topic all together, as is whether or not they can/should remove this since people paid for it. Further, I know there are other options like being able to turn the lowering suspension on/off or having it manual instead of automatic.

none of those are the point of this poll though, although a poll with all of the possible configuration options (automatic lowering vs manual lowering vs not at all vs any combination of those) being choices is welcome in my mind.

This poll is purely the question of whether you would rather accept the risk of debris strike with the car auto lowering the suspension from standard to low or if you would prefer it to be turned off as it currently is in 5.8 where it is stuck in standard thus (theoretically) lowering the road debris risk.

- - - Updated - - -

I did, evidently it was a two step process... First to make a thread, then to write the poll. I had to go to the thread to be presented the second step.

2. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

3. GBoar

GBoar Member

I voted yes..
    for two reasons
    -the events related to debris are rare
    -the difference in height is 20 mm(0.75 inch), so keeping the standard height would not eliminate the risk completely
    The benefits of air suspension/auto lowering out weigh the risks IMO.
    ( however, I am not against Tesla making short term fixes with proper notifications)

4. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

Ack! Did this on my phone and I think I said No when I meant Yes......

5. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

As long as there is control over the behaviour (like creep) having it not auto-lower would be fine. I want my car to auto-lower. That's one of the nifty things about the Model S.

6. xhawk101

xhawk101 Active Member

Where is the poll?

7. Kraken

Kraken Member

Shows up at the top for me.

8. NigelM

NigelM Recovering Member

9. rlcordeiro

rlcordeiro Member

Maybe they didn't! TM needs to address this matter and let us know which it is.

10. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin Model S Perf Sig 1055

#10 Larry Chanin, Nov 17, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
    I agree, but some would argue that there's no problem at all. All you have to do is travel at over 100 mph and everything works fine and the car lowers itself. Do you think that Tesla designed this new functionality for safety reasons because everyone knows if you hit debris at over 100 mph its perfectly safe? :biggrin:

Larry

11. kendallpb

kendallpb Model S: P 8061

Your poll phrasing is very leading (and misleading, at that...sigh), but I'm happy to vote in your poll (yes, of course). ;-)

12. Kaivball

Kaivball Member

The answer should be in the data.

Provide energy consumption at standard height and lower height at 65 mph.

13. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I asked in another topic if anyone had that data. No responses yet.

I doubt the difference is significant, but it is probably measurable.

14. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

I didn't see an option for "How do I create another thread to talk about the same topic?" so I didn't know what to click.

15. Kraken

Kraken Member

Sorry for the extra thread on the same topic. I just thought it would be good to get the statistic recorded and it says a lot that the owners actually don't want this fix. It would be really hard to get the same sentiment just by reading the other thread because you never know if there's a silent majority. You never know who in tesla and the media might see this and the other threads and notice what the mindset of current owners actually is.

i remember in the fire thread it felt like this exact fix was recommended and everyone that commented loved the idea. Evidently there was a silent majority who didnt care enough to speak up because they figured tesla would never be as absurd to go through with getting rid of the lowering of the suspension.

I tried to be as not leading with the wording as I could be.