Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: Tracking Model S's Issues - Major, Minor and None

Which option best describes your experience regarding issues with your new Model S?:

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had the car for exactly one month. Has 800+ miles on it. I had intermittent turn signal issue that was solved through 4.3 upgrade. Absolutely no other issues and LOVE the car! It is also so much fun to not only drive but I seem to make more friends with it and head turns. I am so glad to own this car!!!

I voted minor issues, but I'd like to make it clear that the only problem I've had which qualifies as a "minor issue" by your definition is the defroster vents (which are fixed on all new cars), and mine is already scheduled to be fixed, just hasn't happened yet.

I've had a number of issues that have eventually been fixed. However, the one ongoing issue that just annoys the He!! out of me is that as I open the car door and get in during a rain, the damn wiper takes a big swipe and dumps all the water on me and the inside of the car. I'm just amazed that Tesla engineers haven't already fixed this problem. It should be an easy software fix to have the wiper wait until the door is closed (or foot hits the brake pedal) to do its first swipe. Yeah, I know that if I always remember to turn off the wipers before getting out, I won't have the problem. But realistically, that's just not a natural thing to do. At least not for me.

I I expect such a high end sound system to give sound studeo stereo sound, like you've got headphones all over your body.

I want the sound to be up front the way you hear music in a concert or from a home audio system, rather than sounding manipulated the way it does in headphones. In my opinion Tesla has done it right.

I voted minor issues, but I'd like to make it clear that the only problem I've had which qualifies as a "minor issue" by your definition is the defroster vents (which are fixed on all new cars), and mine is already scheduled to be fixed, just hasn't happened yet.

Of course many of the issues I'm asking to be classified as minor are very major to people, and understandably. But this is a classification, and things are being weighed against each other for the purposes of tabulation. I think everyone would agree that a door popping open once or twice is less 'major' an issue than, say, a non-charging 12v battery that renders the car undriveable? Those're the distinctions I'm trying to make. It's a matter of relative degree of severity, not personal or emotional impact. For this poll. Now there certainly could be a poll that asks how good or bad do you feel about your car at any given moment. But I was more interested in the concrete breakdown of mechanical issues owners are experiencing.

Last edited:
Can't vote yet as I am only a prospective owner with my car on order but I am very encouraged by the responses to the poll here as well as the overall build quality of the MS. Do others feel the same way? Can't help but wonder how a similar poll among owners of an ICE (BMW, Audi, Merc) would fare?

Have had a few minor issues; but will have to drive vehicle more before taking it to service center. Most of the issues have been reported by others (windshield wipers are 1/4 visible, driver side dome light switch does not work when pressed, charge port does not open when approached with charger cable, AM/FM radio reception not clear in some areas).

Biggest issue is self-inflicted and that is charging on 112v, which translates to a 2-4 mph/charge :crying: