Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Type of Cars in Your Household

What Type of Cars are in Your Household ?

• EV Only

Votes: 19 44.2%
  • EV+Hybrid

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • EV+PHEV

Votes: 2 4.7%
  • EV+ICE

Votes: 20 46.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SageBrush

REJECT Fascism
May 7, 2015
New Mexico
I thought it will be interesting to trend the transition to an EV only household in the forum. Personally I expected to keep an EV and PHEV (and certainly that was my wife's preference) but a LEAF+Tesla worked out to be an economical and practical choice that let me discard the ICE entirely.

Please respond as if this is the end of 2018 so that if you are waiting for a definite change in cars, consider it a done deal.
I suggest not counting a car if it is used less than 1000 miles a year.
If the household has more than two technologies, please choose the most recent two cars.

Thanks for the participation !

You might want to add to you options EV+ICE (EV ordered to replace the ICE). I am one of those, I suspect there are many of us. For me, perhaps for others, my ICE lives in a country with no BEV's now available for repair sale, but with a Model 3 reserved with an "early 2019" nominal delivery date.

Thanks for not letting all of us participate.

PHEV+HEV.

The most important trend is outside the current BEV ownership group.

If something magical happened I would be BEV+PHEV, but that'll take a couple of years now that the SR won't be available until next year.

If my Prius were written off by a freak accident...
- on Monday, I'd probably put up extra money and get a 3LR, and go BEV+PHEV
- in a few months time or later, I'd have more of a dilemma: I might prefer to get a 2019 Volt while there's still a $7.5k tax credit on GM vehicles and go EREV+PHEV. (2019 Volt ERDTT apparently goes down to -13F which would basically eliminate it for us.) Since I don't see us going BEV+BEV, and since the signs are that the Volt will be replaced by a boxier hatchback style, might just want to get a Gen 2 Volt while they're not hot, and then go BEV+EREV in 2023 when the BEV market should be better, wider and deeper, hoping that Tesla will, by then, have base 3 with a cheaper heated mirrors+seats option.

(I'm actually hoping to X+Y, where X and Y are mostly BEV, but vary depending on what the autonomous ride-sharing service has available)

Last edited:
We own two EVs as daily drivers and one ICE fun desert offroad truck. It will be a while before there is a good EV option for the truck I think (one with the ability to range far into the backcountry with no charging available).

I did not vote because we have both a Model S and a Model 3. Those are our daily drivers and road trip vehicles.

We also have our 1967 Mercury Cougar with three-by-the-knee purchased new in November of '67. I drive that car one-two times per month on short errands or just to give the engine some work. I put 110 miles on the car in 2017.