TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll: Type of Cars in Your Household

Discussion in 'Energy, Environment, and Policy' started by SageBrush, Aug 12, 2018.

?

What Type of Cars are in Your Household ?

1. EV Only

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  2. EV+Hybrid

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  3. EV+PHEV

2 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. EV+ICE

19 vote(s)
    45.2%
  1. SageBrush

SageBrush 2018: Drain the Sewer

I thought it will be interesting to trend the transition to an EV only household in the forum. Personally I expected to keep an EV and PHEV (and certainly that was my wife's preference) but a LEAF+Tesla worked out to be an economical and practical choice that let me discard the ICE entirely.

Please respond as if this is the end of 2018 so that if you are waiting for a definite change in cars, consider it a done deal.
    I suggest not counting a car if it is used less than 1000 miles a year.
    If the household has more than two technologies, please choose the most recent two cars.

Thanks for the participation !

2. jbcarioca

jbcarioca Active Member

You might want to add to you options EV+ICE (EV ordered to replace the ICE). I am one of those, I suspect there are many of us. For me, perhaps for others, my ICE lives in a country with no BEV's now available for repair sale, but with a Model 3 reserved with an "early 2019" nominal delivery date.

3. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Well-Known Member

#3 ItsNotAboutTheMoney, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Thanks for not letting all of us participate.

PHEV+HEV.

The most important trend is outside the current BEV ownership group.

If something magical happened I would be BEV+PHEV, but that'll take a couple of years now that the SR won't be available until next year.

If my Prius were written off by a freak accident...
    - on Monday, I'd probably put up extra money and get a 3LR, and go BEV+PHEV
    - in a few months time or later, I'd have more of a dilemma: I might prefer to get a 2019 Volt while there's still a $7.5k tax credit on GM vehicles and go EREV+PHEV. (2019 Volt ERDTT apparently goes down to -13F which would basically eliminate it for us.) Since I don't see us going BEV+BEV, and since the signs are that the Volt will be replaced by a boxier hatchback style, might just want to get a Gen 2 Volt while they're not hot, and then go BEV+EREV in 2023 when the BEV market should be better, wider and deeper, hoping that Tesla will, by then, have base 3 with a cheaper heated mirrors+seats option.

(I'm actually hoping to X+Y, where X and Y are mostly BEV, but vary depending on what the autonomous ride-sharing service has available)

4. AviP

AviP Member

ICE only. Lots of ICE, ICE baby! Hence the need to BEV. I just replaced the fuel pump on my 11-year old Ram 1500 guzzler. It was a PITA and I can't wait for the BEV Pickup.

5. seattlite2004

seattlite2004 Member

#5 seattlite2004, Aug 12, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2018
    Maybe you need another selection....we got ICE+Hybrid+EV. Not getting rid of the ICE...but will prob get rid of the Hybrid for an PHEV.

6. Az_Rael

Az_Rael Supporting Member

We own two EVs as daily drivers and one ICE fun desert offroad truck. It will be a while before there is a good EV option for the truck I think (one with the ability to range far into the backcountry with no charging available).

7. cpa

cpa Active Member

I did not vote because we have both a Model S and a Model 3. Those are our daily drivers and road trip vehicles.

We also have our 1967 Mercury Cougar with three-by-the-knee purchased new in November of '67. I drive that car one-two times per month on short errands or just to give the engine some work. I put 110 miles on the car in 2017.

8. BerTX

BerTX Active Member

2001 ICE SUV used exclusively to take trash to the dump. And for nearby places where l need to park all day.

9. DriveMe

DriveMe Member

I voted EV only, though it might be a wishful thinking for me to expect the Standard Range Model 3 before the end of the year...

10. dkemme

dkemme Supporting Member

We were a 3 EV family, 2 Model S and my old LEAF but my wife developed a severe case of range anxiety and SUV withdrawal and my lovely LEAF was replaced by an awful ICE.

11. Lasairfion

Lasairfion Member

I think it would be interesting to see how many people are still ICE only.

12. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

I would like to be an EV only but still need a truck, only drive it 1500 miles a year. Cannot wait for a Tesla truck if it is not to expensive.