Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Ultrawhite - modern or cheap looking?

What do you think about the look/feel of the ultra white 'vegan leather' seat?

• Ultra white "vegan leather" looks very modern and cool

Votes: 84 80.8%
  • Nothing against the material, but the color itself just isn't for me

Votes: 15 14.4%
  • I think it looks "cheap". Even if it was offered in other colors, I'd stick to leather

Votes: 5 4.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Archduke. I will be the primary driver and most of the time will be a solo driver. When we go out as a couple or with a friend or two we tend to take my wife's SUV at least half the time. So total time she will spend in any new car I get will be relatively minor.

At the end of the day, it's my decision and she even reluctantly admits that. But she is still trying to convince me to go leather.

I think you are right with regards to the industry having a hand in (at least subtly) pushing consumers to equate leather with luxury.

I even struggle with it a bit myself since I haven't had a non-leather clad car seat in over 15 years. But yes the Ultra White is definitely striking and has me wanting to dump cow hides for once give another material a try.

I love my Ultra White seats. Everyone who's seen my car (even my very old fashioned and "snobby" in-laws) love the white seats. I think it's something that sets Teslas apart from other cars. It's very striking. They're also very soft. (Anecdotally, one of our neighbors mistook them for leather seats. He was pretty surprised when I told him they aren't leather.)

Likely to order a new S next week before they discontinue the 60.

I had totally decided to go with Pearl White with the Ultra white interior. White on white with the all-glass roof.

(nothing against pano but I never open sunroofs, have never used a roof rack in my life...and my current car has XM radio but I cancelled the subscription 2 years back and can't say I miss it).

Likely going with the carbon fiber trim. My thought is that this combination will look very modern/futuristic.

Then...I took my wife to see the Ultra White interior...and she hates it! :eek:

She thinks it looks "cheap" and she says it reminds her of "pleather", popular in the 80s. I told her it wasn't pleather, it was "vegan leather" ;)

Color is up to me, but she has really been trying to talk me out of the Ultra White in favor of anything else. While I have nothing against the tan or black leather, I am still drawn to the Ultra White. (If they still had the grey leather, I might very well get that though).

But my wife got me thinking...do other people who see and feel the "vegan leather" interior ever think this it "looks cheap"? Or is my wife in the very small minority on this? I thought I'd do a poll as well as get your guy's input - both from enthusiasts here who have seen the Ultra White in person as well as any owners of Ultra White who can give insight into any feedback (pro or con) they have received from friends and family regarding the interior.

Lots of money for the car, and while I am of course inclined to get what I like, I am also thinking about future (way down the line, likely) resale value and how the Ultra White may or may not influence overall value based on aesthetic preferences by others (both the material as well as the super bright white color).

Thanks for any feedback
Get ultrawhite. You'll love it. I've spent a week in it as well as other colors - you'll love it.

I have the Ultra-White Vegan Leather seats in my P100D. I love it. It feels like the softest leather I've ever encountered. The color is striking. It's cooler than black leather seats would be. In general, it's easy to keep clean (though I have been noticing some transfer of color from my jeans to the seats that has required a bit of work to keep clean). Best of all, no animals lost their lives for the sake of my seat. I think your wife is wrong.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Just curious about saying no animals lost their lives for the sake of your seats. People eat beef and the animal hides can either go to waste or be put to good use on my shoes, furniture, car seats, and dog raw hide treats. I don't think they're raising cattle just to provide car seat leather. That being said I am a little concerned about the durability of our leather premium upgrade ventilated seats in our X. I do believe Tesla uses inferior quality leather, the durability doesn't seem to match other manufacturers. You don't see worn seats in Mercedes and BMW showrooms. Here is a picture of black leather seats on a brand new X P90D sitting in the showroom. I was going to buy the car and asked if they would replace the excessively worn seat but was told the car was being discounted and therefore as-is, on a $140k car worn seats are not an option I would want.

Last edited:
The Ultra-white seats look great if you like Ultra-White seats... which I Do Not.

I also doubt they will look good after a few years, but without a crystal ball, one can never tell.

Good luck on the resale me thinks....

View attachment 222486 View attachment 222486 Just curious about saying no animals lost their lives for the sake of your seats. People eat beef and the animal hides can either go to waste or be put to good use on my shoes, furniture, car seats, and dog raw hide treats. I don't think they're raising cattle just to provide car seat leather. .

I haven't eaten beef in 30 years. I don't own any leather furniture. The only leather goods I consume are shoes/boots, and I look for alternatives whenever/wherever I can find them. Cattle farming contributes to greenhouse gasses from the methane produced by the cows and is very, very, very water intensive. I live in California where we have a perpetual drought. Dumping beef and leather is a good thing for many reasons. I say all this as someone whose father owns a dairy operation, so I know a thing or two about cows. And...no...I'm not being a hypocrite. The dairy does not belong to me, and I wouldn't want to own it.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xolt
I haven't eaten beef in 30 years. I don't own any leather furniture. The only leather goods I consume are shoes/boots, and I look for alternatives whenever/wherever I can find them. Cattle farming contributes to greenhouse gasses from the methane produced by the cows and is very, very, very water intensive. I live in California where we have a perpetual drought. Dumping beef and leather is a good thing for many reasons. I say all this as someone whose father owns a dairy operation, so I know a thing or two about cows. And...no...I'm not being a hypocrite. The dairy does not belong to me, and I wouldn't want to own it.
People produce methane gas, as well as every other animal, should we get rid of those too? Does saying "very" three times in a row make the water consumption worse? If the cattle was raised in an area with plentiful water and delivered to you would you eat it then? Should people leave California so as not to consume the scarce water? Go eat a tasty burger, forgive your father for earning an honest living and enjoy your life. The White Pleather seats are very nice but not because of their lack of leather but rather because the look and feel nice. Calling them Vegan is just an obvious marketing ploy to help sell them to people that think they would be helping the environment by not using leather

Last edited:
People produce methane gas, as well as every other animal, should we get rid of those too? Does saying "very" three times in a row make the water consumption worse? If the cattle was raised in an area with plentiful water and delivered to you would you eat it then? Should people leave California so as not to consume the scarce water? Go eat a tasty burger, forgive your father for earning an honest living and enjoy your life. The White Pleather seats are very nice but not because of their lack of leather but rather because the look and feel nice. Calling them Vegan is just an obvious marketing ploy to help sell them to people that think they would be helping the environment by not using leather

I do have to admit that I occasionally run across someone I wish I could legally strangle. At this very moment, it's you for suggesting I have anything but total respect and admiration for my father. You're an ass.

Does anybody know if the ultra white seats are petroleum based? I know they are polyurethane, but there are apparently some sources that aren't petroleum based. I didn't order them for some ethical reason (I ordered them because they look awesome), but this discussion about saving the cows has me curious. Are people in fact saving cows by endorsing drilling for oil?

How come no one mentions the amount of methane gas released by cows is a powerful greenhouse gas? If Elon really wanted to reduce greenhouse gases would that also mean to offer more vegan choices? Or is the market too set on leather = luxury mindset.

I remember pictures of the perforated UW seats with tears near the stitching. Seems like the material is easy to tear since it's so soft and supple.

Reactions: Archduke
How come no one mentions the amount of methane gas released by cows is a powerful greenhouse gas? If Elon really wanted to reduce greenhouse gases would that also mean to offer more vegan choices? Or is the market too set on leather = luxury mindset.

I remember pictures of the perforated UW seats with tears near the stitching. Seems like the material is easy to tear since it's so soft and supple.

Those pictures are the reason I did not want perforated seats from Tesla in any material, but the solid ultra white seems very durable

I do have to admit that I occasionally run across someone I wish I could legally strangle. At this very moment, it's you for suggesting I have anything but total respect and admiration for my father. You're an ass.
Go lay down tough guy, your the one criticizing your family business. Go find some other "causes" to pursue. You obviously have no clue how dumb you sound to the rest of the world.

• Disagree
Reactions: Archduke
At no point have I criticized any part of my father's dairy operation. I merely stated that cows produce methane gas which is harmful to the environment. That's a fact. To put a finer point on it, the amount of methane produced annually by one cow is equivalent in terms of contribution to global warming to driving 6,254 miles in a car that gets 23.6 MPG, the average MPG for American cars. Obviously, a reduction in demand for beef, leather, and, yes, dairy would have a beneficial effect on global warming. Fact, not criticism.

And if being concerned about the welfare of animals as well as other causes of global warming in addition to internal combustion engines makes me seem dumb to the rest of the world, then I'm okay with that. I think you sound like a troglodyte.

• Disagree
Reactions: Xolt
At no point have I criticized any part of my father's dairy operation. I merely stated that cows produce methane gas which is harmful to the environment. That's a fact. To put a finer point on it, the amount of methane produced annually by one cow is equivalent in terms of contribution to global warming to driving 6,254 miles in a car that gets 23.6 MPG, the average MPG for American cars. Obviously, a reduction in demand for beef, leather, and, yes, dairy would have a beneficial effect on global warming. Fact, not criticism.

And if being concerned about the welfare of animals as well as other causes of global warming in addition to internal combustion engines makes me seem dumb to the rest of the world, then I'm okay with that. I think you sound like a troglodyte.
Termites alone produce almost 50% of the methane that the entire livestock industry produces. That's a fact, but it's not trendy to worry about that. We should stop enjoying beef and consuming dairy and that will solve the worlds problems. If I read too much into you reciting the evils of the cattle and dairy industry and you saying you wouldn't want to own your family dairy business, that I can appoligise for. I guess we can all go back and live in my caves.