Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Unusual pickup truck features

Which of these do you expect any of the released versions to include?

• Full length loading - from frunk through cabin to bed

Votes: 26 25.0%
  • Decent campbed for camping mode

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Full length bed

Votes: 39 37.5%
  • Amphibious built in

Votes: 19 18.3%
  • Cabriolet or removable roof section

Votes: 12 11.5%
  • Self inflating / deflating tyres

Votes: 22 21.2%
  • Air suspension drops at rear and rises at front to allow for ramp loading

Votes: 61 58.7%
  • FWB or scissor doors (cyberpunk style)

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • Star link receiver built in

Votes: 24 23.1%
  • Touch screen in rear

Votes: 17 16.3%
  • Built in fridge / cooler

Votes: 30 28.8%
  • Covered bed option that is integrated with the rest of the cabin (AC for camping etc.)

Votes: 49 47.1%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Other:
Locking telescoping frame rails allow adjustable bed length. Long for 10 ft pipe, short for garage.

More likely: bed extends under rear seat for a limit amount of longer items (but is a pain if sonething rolls under there)

I'm guessing they are going after the jeep market and building a medium size vehicle on the model 3 platform. So I don't expect a big bed or a vehicle primarily targeted at the trades.

Jeep is a very profitable international brand.

If Tesla shows a full size pickup they don't intend to build it any time soon, as far as I can tell. They can lengthen the model 3 platform easily enough, but a wider vehicle typically would need new assembly lines. Anyone know the width of Rivian? Is it wider than the model 3?

A Tesla version of the Rivian pickup and SUV would sell very well IMO (sans the kinda ugly front end).

I'm guessing they are going after the jeep market and building a medium size vehicle on the model 3 platform. So I don't expect a big bed or a vehicle primarily targeted at the trades.

Jeep is a very profitable international brand.

If Tesla shows a full size pickup they don't intend to build it any time soon, as far as I can tell. They can lengthen the model 3 platform easily enough, but a wider vehicle typically would need new assembly lines. Anyone know the width of Rivian? Is it wider than the model 3?

A Tesla version of the Rivian pickup and SUV would sell very well IMO (sans the kinda ugly front end).
the pickup is gonna have to have its own

Do most modern pickups nowadays have a bed cam (on top of the cab looking back)?

Seems it would be useful to check if your bed contents were shifting in unwanted fashion or for Sentry Mode...
Given camping mode, a bed cam could be breaking all sorts of privacy laws.... Do we really need to see your junk jiggling?

If it wasn't for the unnervingly low $50k starting price, I would have said 100% yes. Still a good chance though.

There is zero possibility of building the features described into an F150 size vehicle at $50K. If Musk shows such a vehicle it will not be built for years. We will see if Musk is announcing an actual product or an aspirational prototype intended to make Elon feel better about the love directed at Rivian.

AFAIK if it is a real product it is going to be build on the gen 3 assembly line. So six feet wide and 16-17 feet long.

Tesla needs to exploit the gen3 platform. Build a lot of the same production capacity and build a lot of vehicles types with the same base architecture.

There is zero possibility of building the features described into an F150 size vehicle at $50K. If Musk shows such a vehicle it will not be built for years. We will see if Musk is announcing an actual product or an aspirational prototype intended to make Elon feel better about the love directed at Rivian.

AFAIK if it is a real product it is going to be build on the gen 3 assembly line. So six feet wide and 16-17 feet long.

Tesla needs to exploit the gen3 platform. Build a lot of the same production capacity and build a lot of vehicles types with the same base architecture.
A six foot wide truck with a usable bed height would not be able to haul standard 4x8 sheet goods.
3 does not have the frame or suspension capacity to be a usable truck, nor does it fit 6 people (old tweet of Elon's who knows if that is still a design criteria) (Y will, but 3 rows would kill bed space).
As to price, they could have rear wheel drive 2 seater base version for people in nice climates. The 3 starts under $50k now for dual motor. So strip out the cost of rear compartment and front drive unit, add on frame metal and battery capacity and you are still right around $50k.

No reason to burden the 3 assembly lines with a switch over to pickup either.

Reactions: doghousePVD
Well OK, then maybe its a new gen 4 large vehicle platform. Musk would never announce an S/X platform upgrade in advance. But he would announce a pickup. Whatever Tesla is doing here the platform is more important than the specific vehicle. A wider skateboard would be more of a direct competitor to Rivian too.

A new platform and no factory to build it is kind of a bummer. I would like to see a cyberpunk pickup that could be on the market in two years.

All these renders got me thinking. I wanna see a single sliding door on each side that opens up the front and cab at the same time. Some kind of hidden track. 4 doors doesn't fit Teslas ultra progressive mentality when it's suppose to be blade runner.