Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Upset by 'test drive' through Burger King drive through?

Would you be upset if the Service group 'test drove' your car to the local Burger King?

• Yes

Votes: 87 58.8%
  • No

Votes: 61 41.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I suppose if they needed to drive it to test something I wouldn't care, so long as they didn't spill anything or make it smell like fast food.

But if they just took it to pick up lunch that's not cool.
*Ding, ding, ding!* We have a winner! This is the correct answer.

Put this way. If they drove your car to Burger King, you might be nice enough to to let it go, hey everyone got eat right? But what if your tire hit the curb or your paint got scratched while doing that? Do you get mad or do you think this incident can be avoided so your car will be fixed and back to you asap. Now you have to wait additinal days to fixed the scraping issues. The bottom line is don't give people chance to make mistake. Put your cash filled wallet exposed in a public neighborhood full of rich and educated people. Most likely your wallet will be gone also. So don't even attempt.
If the car is in for repairs and needs a post-repair test drive, why would you possibly care where they drive it? Risks of curbing or scratching the paint are pretty much the same, regardless of where they go.

*Ding, ding, ding!* We have a winner! This is the correct answer.

If the car is in for repairs and needs a post-repair test drive, why would you possibly care where they drive it? Risks of curbing or scratching the paint are pretty much the same, regardless of where they go.

At least you are not as mad if you found out they curbed your car while going to Burger King rather on a testing route.

Last edited:
Test drives are fine, and necessary. Bringing back smelly food that could spill is not. Many Tesla owners are very particular about bringing drinks into their cars. It's a risk Tesla employees should avoid.

I recently had my car serviced and I periodically checked the status in the app.

I noticed that the car was driving into a business not too far from the Service Center; curious to what it could be, I loaded up Maps and found out that it was the drive though at the local Burger King,

Would you be upset by this?

I would be quite annoyed because we have the veggie Ultra White seats. I won't even let my own son eat in the car anymore... let alone a stranger!

I would capture the image and email it to the service manager or one of my contacts elsewhere in Tesla if it happened to me...

PS. Now, if they brought you some takeout from Nobu without an idiot in a Ferrari rear-ending your X, that would be another story! :D

Taking a customer's car through a drive-thru could certainly be considered less than respectful - especially to those owners who don't allow food in their car as a general rule.

Never mind the elevated risk from the curbs and often tight access.

Yeah, that would be pretty offensive several different ways.

Tesla has an opportunity to be different from stealerships - this doesn't help. Not at all.

Disappointing.

I vote yes. My SC always calls me before taking any test drives not already agreed upon. Surprised by this. And SC are usually next door to sales centers. I'm sure they could drum up a demo car if they really needed to make a burger run.

I like my Rocklin service guys and I figure a well fed service guy is a happy service guy. :) If they need to do a test drive to check out the car, not sure I care where they drive it. If something bad happens, its on them, but at the end of the day, I trust my service dept.
I picked up my brand new car right after Thanksgiving holiday. I know that the car arrived before the weekend. When I came to pick up Monday morning I was surprised to find it already had 45mi on the odometer. I can imagine that someone took it during the holiday weekend or it was used for test drives over the weekend.

Just confirmed in trip setting the variance was 40mi between odometer and tripmeter. On the vehicle transfer and reassignment form it shows 50 on the odometer but I think that's standard on all of them and gives them leeway to do as they please prior to handing over the keyfob. My last car (ICE) I bought new from the lot and it had less than 15mi on it and that's after I had taken a test drive. Who knows how many other test drives that's been on. One would think if you ordered your car, it would have less miles upon receipt.

I don't know if anyone knows how factory mode works but I assume it doesn't accumulate miles until they take it out of factory mode.