Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
@Duke846 Well, it is. Got a call at 5pm pacific, as promised. Everything is as I expected; that being,

1. They were able to find this, not within spec, vibration on my car and the mothership gave them a test parameter set to test everything in the front end, from DU to suspension.
2. Tesla has my service center using my car now as a test bed as more and more of these cars are being reported as having this issue.
3. Might actually be a manufacturing or design defect; hence why more testing is needed.
4. They plan to expand testing to new cars arriving at the SC to see if current vins are affected. SC told me they have seen this on new Plaids this summer as they were moving cars around for delivery.

So, I’m left with three options, it seems -

1. Let them continue the testing for the benefit of the community, and then take my car back until a fleet wide fix is available. Currently driving a 2020 Loaner S, so no issue with that.

2. Pursue buy back of car; basically a refund (requires approval)

3. Pursue buy back and replacement (also requires approval). Meaning order a new one; and Tesla pays for it and keeps mine for testing or whatever. Of course, I would inspect the replacement to insure it had less visible issues than the one I would be returning. If it didn’t, I would just leave with mine and reject the replacement. $250 deposit refunded.

Currently, I have actions in place, and good support from the sr SC manager, to protect all three options/paths.

Worst case, I get my car back, or a new 2022 Plaid that both have the vibration, or a full refund. Not the end of the world as I like options and have time to play around with this (being retired).

All good.

@WilliamG
Any hint to what it may be?
take the 2022 and offer your full support and information on weather the 2022’s have this same issue.
the wait on the new Plaids leads me to believe the backlogs are definitely almost caught up. I am on the fence weather I am now getting this car because I believe It’s a little more than a software update fix for sure.

Reactions: jebinc
I like your options. Now you can get white seats. Total upgrade.
@impastu @Duke846 Yes, I’m torn on interior color, now that wood is no longer an option. I would stick with MSM, but white (Jan EDD) or cream (Dec EDD) w/CF? Both look good, to me, and I have a MYP white on white already, and had an MSM/white 3, so my tentative Plaidreplacement order option #3 is MSM, cream w/CF and yes, 19s again (with All Season Contis)! Hopefully, my “test bed” helps to solve the mystery root cause.

Being retired, and a problem solver by nature, managing these three options/paths is somewhat enjoyable. Any one of which can turn out! Enjoy the journey along with me, if you all would like!
@WilliamG

take the 2022 and offer your full support and information on weather the 2022’s have this same issue.
the wait on the new Plaids leads me to believe the backlogs are definitely almost caught up. I am on the fence weather I am now getting this car because I believe It’s a little more than a software update fix for sure.
@Duke846 Yes, I’m leaning that way now, but plan to protect all three options/paths to the very end!

Definitely, and while your at it the new brakes also!! Ha
@Duke846 Seen/unseen, known/unknown, I’m sure there are manufacturing differences, changes and improvements between my early build VIN and the ones leaving the factory now, so I would hope a replacement would look tighter and have less issues. Inspection would determine. Might even have a dormant tilting display motor and other provisions. Who knows. 🤣

@Duke846 Root cause not yet determined. More testing next week. Yes, I could order and receive a Plaid in weeks, here in Seattle. Then again, it only took me 13 days when I ordered this one at the end of July. White interior is January.

Last edited:
@impastu @Duke846 Yes, I’m torn on interior color, now that wood is no longer an option. I would stick with MSM, but white (Jan EDD) or cream (Dec EDD) w/CF? Both look good, to me, and I have a MYP white on white already, and had an MSM/white 3, so my tentative Plaidreplacement order option #3 is MSM, cream w/CF and yes, 19s again (with All Season Contis)! Hopefully, my “test bed” helps to solve the mystery root cause.

Being retired, and a problem solver by nature, managing these three options/paths is somewhat enjoyable. Any one of which can turn out! Enjoy the journey along with me, if you all would like!
@WilliamG
I have a LR model S coming in 4 weeks with wood interior. I’ve already acquired an entire carbon fiber interior set I’ll be swapping out. Want to buy my wood interior?

I have a LR model S coming in 4 weeks with wood interior. I’ve already acquired an entire carbon fiber interior set I’ll be swapping out. Want to buy my wood interior?
@KyleDay I understand swapping out trim in the refreshed S is a real PITA - especially the rear and console. I've read somewhere that the entire rear seat console needs to be replaced, so you not only need to match trim, but interior colors as well. PM me with your proposal.

Reactions: EndlessPlaid
@Duke846 Tell us more about the rental PoS and why it sucks!
vs model 3 Performance with Nokian wrg4’s ( model s LR 2021 467 miles driven in two days on turo)
1. Air suspension = bounce house for kids. Yes I did try all the modes
2. road noise = little louder than my 3 (this one shocked me)
3. UI….. nothing to argue here ugh
4. vibration, yes it definitely has it.
5. seating to high, cannot lower it anymore. Wtf?
6. sound system audio same settings and playing Apple Music definitely not as good as my 3.
7. Hepatic touch lag much wow!! To finish this off on the doors As well as the yoke, Really?
8. ohhhh the Yoke, I could probably live with the yoke if they didn’t make it 3 feet wide! It‘s soooo wide it blocks the screen on the right.WOW 😮.
9. Best money I ever spent was on this turo. It’s saving me 135k !!
10. fit And finish horrible, renter waiting for fixes. The major one being the driver side door hard to open and shut.
11. take control warning and phantom braking 4 times during 467 miles. I have plenty of experience with teslas on the highway this car has some issues.
12. small window whistles at highway speeds.
13.frunk not lined up, trunk not lined up Frunk very hard to shut
14. wrinkles in seating pleather.
15. mirror vibration
16. guess you direction when leaving a parking space was less than 50% correct. How how how does it not at least get it right 50% of the time? this was definitely rushed.
17. autopilot and distance following in not on the scroll wheels? I use this all the time. And the scroll wheels on my 3 are a nice soft grippy rubber. New one is hard plastic. wow thanks.
18. Brakes? Hard to see them behind the amazing looking hubcaps. We all know the brakes suck.
Everything on the car feels like it was done to save the maximum amount of money and look good. How many pairs of good jeans were ruined while making the door panels?

I am guessing this car will take a monster hit on depredation. I mean wow 220 Plaid’s alone on the carguru today.
My opinion and just mine, yours may differ. This turo was rented because Tesla refuses to answer a simple question. can I expect a test drive.

• Funny
  • Informative
Reactions: bhzmark and jebinc
vs model 3 Performance with Nokian wrg4’s ( model s LR 2021 467 miles driven in two days on turo)
6. sound system audio same settings and playing Apple Music definitely not as good as my 3.
7. Hepatic touch lag much wow!! To finish this off on the doors As well as the yoke, Really?
8. ohhhh the Yoke, I could probably live with the yoke if they didn’t make it 3 feet wide! It‘s soooo wide it blocks the screen on the right.WOW 😮.
10. fit And finish horrible, renter waiting for fixes. The major one being the driver side door hard to open and shut.
11. take control warning and phantom braking 4 times during 467 miles. I have plenty of experience with teslas on the highway this car has some issues.
15. mirror vibration
16. guess you direction when leaving a parking space was less than 50% correct. How how how does it not at least get it right 50% of the time? this was definitely rushed.
17. autopilot and distance following in not on the scroll wheels? I use this all the time. And the scroll wheels on my 3 are a nice soft grippy rubber. New one is hard plastic. wow thanks.
18. Brakes? Hard to see them behind the amazing looking hubcaps. We all know the brakes suck.
Everything on the car feels like it was done to save the maximum amount of money and look good. How many pairs of good jeans were ruined while making the door panels?

I am guessing this car will take a monster hit on depredation. I mean wow 220 Plaid’s alone on the carguru today.
My opinion and just mine, yours may differ. This turo was rented because Tesla refuses to answer a simple question. can I expect a test drive.

This clearly isn't the car for you.

15. mirror vibration

@Duke846 Thanks! Did you happen to notice the vin?

Reactions: EndlessPlaid

Attachments

• C462A153-8C95-4419-8378-928F4F77F202.jpeg
    C462A153-8C95-4419-8378-928F4F77F202.jpeg
    420.5 KB · Views: 77
  • Informative
Reactions: jebinc