Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It's a different speed, so a vibration or resonance at a different, much higher frequency. Also, it's a different part number for the half shafts. But, the root cause could be related.
Also, the original problem triggered by and gets worse with the application of power. New problem triggered at basically the transition from no load to load at very small throttle position and disappearing as power is increased.

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc
Unless I misread something, it seems that my issue is exactly as per the opening post. The symptoms as well as the speed at which it occurs.

2C37D1FA-B170-4FD5-97CF-7CA7CF363CB7.jpeg

44D48D1B-4D16-449B-B785-2A8CEAF72F76.jpeg

It seems in this topic/thread multiple issues that feel the same but have different symptoms have been mentioned.

Unless I misread something, it seems that my issue is exactly as per the opening post. The symptoms as well as the speed at which it occurs.

View attachment 782145

View attachment 782148

It seems in this topic/thread multiple issues that feel the same but have different symptoms have been mentioned.
Be sure to report it to you SC! Only that way, if we all report the issue, may we hope for a fix.

I finally felt the vibration….. in a loaner Model X, dec 2018 build, 25,000mi. At 52mph. Man, that would upset me if my Plaid did that. Also, the driver window won’t roll up.

@lbowroom I fear your day WILL come, where you experience the vibration in your beloved Plaid. I hope not, but trending data and statements from Tesla would indicate so...

Annoying as F, right?

@WilliamG @n2mb_racing

@lbowroom I fear your day WILL come, where you experience the vibration in your beloved Plaid. I hope not, but trending data and statements from Tesla would indicate so...

Annoying as F, right?

@WilliamG @n2mb_racing
Oh yeah. It's not good. Overall though, a 2018 X feels like a lump a dump pile of poo anyway, to me at least.

Just FYI, I have about 200 miles on my Plaid and almost from day one I have detected (barely), the vibration around 35-38 mph. I can only feel it on very smooth asphalt. It is barely detectable but the car is so quiet and smooth, when combined with the smooth road, any slight things can be felt and heard. For that matter, I could also hear it. My car is in the lowest setting (I have not tried it higher). But I will offer my thoughts as an engineer and car "wrencher" for almost forty years now- at that speed, nothing is turning fast enough to create a vibration at that frequency. With the exception of the tire tread. If I had to guess, the very slight vibration is the tires on that surface at that speed. I cannot speak to the higher speed vibrations. Personally, I don't think anything of it. When it comes, it comes and goes fast and it is sooooo slight. A real testimony to the smoothness and quiet of these cars.

Just FYI, I have about 200 miles on my Plaid and almost from day one I have detected (barely), the vibration around 35-38 mph. I can only feel it on very smooth asphalt. It is barely detectable but the car is so quiet and smooth, when combined with the smooth road, any slight things can be felt and heard. For that matter, I could also hear it. My car is in the lowest setting (I have not tried it higher). But I will offer my thoughts as an engineer and car "wrencher" for almost forty years now- at that speed, nothing is turning fast enough to create a vibration at that frequency. With the exception of the tire tread. If I had to guess, the very slight vibration is the tires on that surface at that speed. I cannot speak to the higher speed vibrations. Personally, I don't think anything of it. When it comes, it comes and goes fast and it is sooooo slight. A real testimony to the smoothness and quiet of these cars.

Same background, experience and education.

I’m going to say it’s not the tires as cars with many different tires and rims, including aftermarket, still have the vibration. I’ve tried stock 21s, stock 19s, aftermarket 19s, Continental, Michelin and Pirelli tires on mine and all combinations have the vibration.

Yeah, it was barely perceptible on my car too. It doesn't get bad until after 1k miles or so. It will get stronger over time.

Also, at least in my case, it comes with slighly applying power. If it is tyre related Inwould expect the symptoms at a certain rotational speed of the tyre and not related to slight application of power.
Yeah, exactly. As soon as you let off the accelerator, it goes away. Also, using track mode to bias the torque to the rear wheels makes it go away as well.

For someone else that asked, the '22 LR model S I drove had 2500 miles on it. So, it should have developed it by now... Strange that it hasn't.

I have had my plaid for 5 days now and definitely notice the startup shudder that lasts about 1 mile of driving. After that the shudder is completely gone. I have not tried preconditioning yet but others have found it unhelpful. As long as it is not something structural, I'm completely fine with it.

I have had my plaid for 5 days now and definitely notice the startup shudder that lasts about 1 mile of driving. After that the shudder is completely gone. I have not tried preconditioning yet but others have found it unhelpful. As long as it is not something structural, I'm completely fine with it.
That seems different. The one we have is consistent, always vibrating under light acceleration between 40-50 mph. Also occasional vibrations on the highway.