Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone linked to this thread from the MX forums. Just wanted to connect from over there and say that Model X refresh has it as well. I feel it routinely in my '22, just over ~40 MPH, and only when accelerating (even gradually). It's a very low-pitched, subtle rumble that feels/sounds like it's coming from the front motor.

Has anyone here had Tesla acknowledge the problem?
Yes my service center has acknowledged an open case on this issue (with my VIN attached to the case along with others) but they never have any updates on progress or a solution. One time they said Tesla takes this seriously and after it took so long to address the previous generation vibration issues, engineering tends to move more quickly on these things now. I had hope when they told me that but here we are over a year later and no solution. For me it is a small annoyance that I can overlook because the rest of the car/performance is awesome. I'm not letting this issue ruin the car for me. 10k+ happy miles with lots of smiles here and it is easily the best car I've owned, by far. Having said that, I do want a fix for this eventually. I know they could do it with software only.

Yes my service center has acknowledged an open case on this issue (with my VIN attached to the case along with others) but they never have any updates on progress or a solution. One time they said Tesla takes this seriously and after it took so long to address the previous generation vibration issues, engineering tends to move more quickly on these things now. I had hope when they told me that but here we are over a year later and no solution. For me it is a small annoyance that I can overlook because the rest of the car/performance is awesome. I'm not letting this issue ruin the car for me. 10k+ happy miles with lots of smiles here and it is easily the best car I've owned, by far. Having said that, I do want a fix for this eventually. I know they could do it with software only.
Re moving quickly… 🤣

They opened a case for me over a year and a half ago; ZERO updates. Same line of BS offered today as was tabled over a year and a half ago. 🤬

For me it is a small annoyance that I can overlook because the rest of the car/performance is awesome. I'm not letting this issue ruin the car for me. 10k+ happy miles with lots of smiles here and it is easily the best car I've owned, by far. Having said that, I do want a fix for this eventually. I know they could do it with software only.
What evidence leads you to your conclusion “I know they could do it with software only.”

Also curious how many miles on your S and at about how many miles did your car have when you first noticed it?

Has anyone made a video showing and/or discussing this vibration? I’ve searched and have been unable to find one.

I’m debating whether to take delivery of a new S or cancel. I have never experienced this vibration in person so it would be helpful to to see or hear this vibration to determine if it’s barely noticeable or just how noticeable and annoying it is.

Does the vibration get worse over time like the acceleration shudder of the previous S (which I experienced) or does this vibration stay about the same once it surfaces?

For those who experienced both the previous model shudder and this vibration how do they compare in regards to intensity and how frequently you feel this one vs the previous?

Tesla is about to cancel my order since I keep delaying. I have a moderate mileage 2017 S 100D that’s still in great shape (315 miles range at 55k miles) but the longer range of the new S would be helpful on road trips I make regularly.

What evidence leads you to your conclusion “I know they could do it with software only.”

Also curious how many miles on your S and at about how many miles did your car have when you first noticed it?
because you can turn on/off the vibration at will using track mode by sliding the front/rear slider.... so technically it could be a software only fix although that might not be ideal.

Over 10k miles on the car and I noticed it after a couple thousand miles last year. They replaced the half shafts and said it was fixed but I noticed it was still there immediately (within a day).

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Has anyone made a video showing and/or discussing this vibration? I’ve searched and have been unable to find one.

I’m debating whether to take delivery of a new S or cancel. I have never experienced this vibration in person so it would be helpful to to see or hear this vibration to determine if it’s barely noticeable or just how noticeable and annoying it is.

Does the vibration get worse over time like the acceleration shudder of the previous S (which I experienced) or does this vibration stay about the same once it surfaces?

For those who experienced both the previous model shudder and this vibration how do they compare in regards to intensity and how frequently you feel this one vs the previous?

Tesla is about to cancel my order since I keep delaying. I have a moderate mileage 2017 S 100D that’s still in great shape (315 miles range at 55k miles) but the longer range of the new S would be helpful on road trips I make regularly.
Long range S or Plaid? I think it might be more common on the Plaid than the long range S, but no idea why. I have a friend with a long range refresh S that doesn't have the vibration.

Also, if you were planning on lowering the car anyway, that seems to cure almost all of the vibration, if you do end up developing it.

I'm not sure I'd bother upgrading unless you are getting the Plaid for more HP. The service center bullshit just isn't worth it. I have been back seven times after delivery to correct manufacturing issues, and then correct things they broke during service. I still have more trips to make to get the bumper fixed that they dinged at my last service. After seven trips, and about 30 days total without my car, I'm finally down to only TWO major issues. This half-shaft vibration, a severely squeaking suspension that they haven't been able to fix over the last three trips, and my damaged bumper. Ok, three major issues. Down from about 10. It's kind of a *sugar* show.

Reactions: jebinc
This is depressing. I have a 2017 S 75 that I would love to upgrade to a Plaid. Based on the many many threads on this 40 mph vibration issue, I am so reluctant. What is it going to take to get Tesla to address this? Perhaps more drastic attention getting measures are warranted? There seems to be many owners here that would participate. Elon ... help!

This is depressing. I have a 2017 S 75 that I would love to upgrade to a Plaid. Based on the many many threads on this 40 mph vibration issue, I am so reluctant. What is it going to take to get Tesla to address this? Perhaps more drastic attention getting measures are warranted? There seems to be many owners here that would participate. Elon ... help!

As mentioned many times, Tesla doesn't (appear to) care. I suspect we at TMC are in the minority of consumers annoyed to all heck by this.

Pass on the Plaid. Pass on any refreshed S or X. I passed on Tesla and went Rivian. No regrets.

I had a buyback on my 2021, and got a 2022. I guess I never learned. 😅
How about we hire Sandy Munro to document the issue and suggest likely fixes (my theories include too steep universal joint angles and/or un-equal length half-shafts). We send the results to Elon, and if that doesn't work, we gather owners experiencing the issue, and those that have been granted a buyback (a clear admission), and file a class action?

I mean no offense, but I want to buy a Plaid. There is no other comparison. But I cannot risk $150K on a car that seems to have a high chance of failure.

Reactions: andyro
How about we hire Sandy Munro to document the issue and suggest likely fixes (my theories include too steep universal joint angles and/or un-equal length half-shafts). We send the results to Elon, and if that doesn't work, we gather owners experiencing the issue, and those that have been granted a buyback (a clear admission), and file a class action?

I mean no offense, but I want to buy a Plaid. There is no other comparison. But I cannot risk $150K on a car that seems to have a high chance of failure.
Best of luck with all of that; from hiring Sandy to paying $160,000+ for a car Telsa will offer you $95,000 for three months later.

Are there things I like about my Plaid? Sure! Would I do it again knowing what I know? Absolutely not!

Yeah, I'd just wait and buy the tri-motor Taycan or the Lucid Sapphire. There will be options soon.