Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And that's all. They didn't have any solution. I'm just amazed they proactively reached out. I'll post if it goes anywhere. I sent them the various threads and explained how it goes away in track mode with rear torque bias.

I also mentioned my creaking front suspension that I'd like fixed. I've brought it in three times for that and they haven't fixed it.

Last thing was creaking driver's seat. They tightened some bolts, but it just came back again right away.

Any idea whether the initial vibration that disappears quickly is related to the more persistent vibration that has been reported around 40 miles an hour?
I think it's related, as it feels very similar to me. This would, of course, negate the idea that it's related to half shafts. My 40mph vibration I can now feel around 33mph and up. It gets very subtle above 50mph, but if you're sensitive to it, then you know. With Track Mode enabled, with full power moved to the rear only, there's no vibration at all. Actually, I should maybe test Track Mode from cold and see if that initial vibration goes away. If it does... that would be interesting.

Reactions: kskog
Has anybody eliminated this vibration when swapping tires? There's a known issue where foam lined tires can end up bunching the foam up in one location that will cause vibration and certain speeds.

Also, has anyone had half-shafts replaced on a Plaid? Curious. I don't have this vibration in the Palladium but definitely did in the Raven.

Has anybody eliminated this vibration when swapping tires?

Also, has anyone had half-shafts replaced on a Plaid? Curious. I don't have this vibration in the Palladium but definitely did in the Raven.
Others have said the tires don't change the vibrations.

Tesla replaced my half shafts twice. The vibration goes away for a few days and then comes right back.

Reactions: xEvoLveDx
Has anybody eliminated this vibration when swapping tires? There's a known issue where foam lined tires can end up bunching the foam up in one location that will cause vibration and certain speeds.

Established many times it's nothing to do with wheels or tires. I have the exact same vibration with my winter wheel/tire set as I do with my summer wheel/tire set.

And, yet, if you put your car into Track Mode, and set the power to full rear (do NOT gun it like this, you can lose the rear end pretty quickly), vibration gone! So annoying...
And more amazing - when my pos was at the SC, they told me they disabled the front DU and it still vibrated like a mofo. They were ruling out the DU and inverter at that time. I was the first in this SC to report the vibration a year and a half+ ago. It spent a week+ there getting all sorts of engineering assessments and tests. I happen to be “patient zero”. No fixes on the horizon.

I think it's related, as it feels very similar to me. This would, of course, negate the idea that it's related to half shafts. My 40mph vibration I can now feel around 33mph and up. It gets very subtle above 50mph, but if you're sensitive to it, then you know. With Track Mode enabled, with full power moved to the rear only, there's no vibration at all. Actually, I should maybe test Track Mode from cold and see if that initial vibration goes away. If it does... that would be interesting.
Um, when in track road, I don’t think sliding all the way to “rear bias” makes it a rear wheel drive only. It just changes the balance when nailing it coming out of a curve - or that was the intent for “track use”. Anyone know for sure? I’m fairly certain that the front DU is still very much active.

Someone with a lift - test it out. Do the fronts spin when in this mode?

• Informative
Reactions: WilliamG
Um, when in track road, I don’t think sliding all the way to “rear bias” makes it a rear wheel drive only. It just changes the balance when nailing it coming out of a curve - or that was the intent for “track use”. Anyone know for sure? I’m fairly certain that the front DU is still very much active.

Someone with a lift - test it out. Do the fronts spin when in this mode?
Yes, I wasn't under the impression that it's full disabling of the front motor (thus the choice of bias in terminology), but I'm not sure. It's kind of amazing it's 2023 and we still have no further clarity on the root problem, and Tesla has swept it under the rug, shipping these same issues to Europe now.

Any idea whether the initial vibration that disappears quickly is related to the more persistent vibration that has been reported around 40 miles an hour?

Just did a quick test on my car tonight. Got in, put it straight into Track Mode, rear bias. NO initial vibration. Not saying this will be true every time, but for my single test, - yes, Track Mode solves the startup vibration present in 2022 and 2023 Model S (this does NOT affect 2021 Model S, bizarrely).

So, what does this mean? That rules out shafts, no? I'm at a bit of a loss...

*EDIT*

Please don't take this as FACT. I need to re-run these tests next time I'm out.

Last edited: