Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to this thread, when slightly pressing the accelerator while at speeds between approximately 35-70 MPH, there appears to be a mild vibration felt in the front of the car. Apparently can be felt in one or more places, including the yoke, pedal, and center console. Vibration seems to be strongest when the suspension is in its lowest drive height. Also, the vibration possibly is becoming more pronounced as more miles are put on the car.

According to @smf72 who brought in his car to service the issue, Tesla says the issue impacts most Plaid and LR, and Tesla engineering hasn't been able to identify a solution. That said, trying to determine how widespread the issue is via an unscientific poll of refresh owners here on TMC.

Reactions: Jelger and thinger
I have been feeling some weird vibes infrequently but I just blamed it on the pavement. Will keep a closer eye on it

@Tigers posted asking me if I felt it. And damn him, I thought I did not have it but thanks to him, I started looking for it. Not sure if it is the pavement/tires but between 35-45 there does seem to be something but not all the time. Above that window, it appears to be nothing. I will mention it to service when I am there next week.

This is probably the wrong thread for it, and likely deserves its own poll... But I *do* think I'm suffering from a slightly loose/vibrating drivers side mirror. I've seen this mentioned before, so it may also be a somewhat widespread issue. In my case I think it is the mirror itself, not the mirror housing, that is vibrating.

This is probably the wrong thread for it, and likely deserves its own poll... But I *do* think I'm suffering from a slightly loose/vibrating drivers side mirror. I've seen this mentioned before, so it may also be a somewhat widespread issue. In my case I think it is the mirror itself, not the mirror housing, that is vibrating.
Yeah, that appears to be a common issue on the early builds.

Reactions: nilesborg
While at the SC I asked to take a tech out to see if he felt the vibration. He did and said it felt like the half shafts maybe. He looked up to see that Tesla is aware and Engineering is working on it. So they really could do nothing until Engineering gives them direction.

If you have it, report it so Engineering will see the true scope of the issue.

This issue is something that can be easily seen as rough pavement and I thought that for the first 100 miles or so. I thought the wider tires were picking up more road imperfections, but then I looked it up and there were plenty of threads about it here. My driver side mirror also vibrates more than it should.. Not a big deal but one of the pitfalls of being an early adopter.

Reactions: nilesborg
I also experience this issue, primarily when accelerating from 50-60 to 80-90 mph. Mine comes from passenger side rear tire. Took a technician out for a drive and he noticed it too. Not always reproducible which is odd. When I do drag stop mode I don’t feel it. Service appointment on September 2. Probably waste of time but I’ll see what they have to say.

Well, finally felt the vibration noise 'subtle' at 35-45 miles per hour. Feels like running over light ribs on side of road, but the road is smooth as silk. It is an issue that needs resolution for sure. Not our imagination.
If people don't bring their cars to service centers we will never have a solution. Please everyone with the issue make an appointment and report back.

For most people checking this thread I’d recommend taking your car to a shop with a road force machine that actually cares and knows how to use it. Tire balancing is very easy but it’s truly amazing how many places just don’t care. Case in point, Tesla. My plaid came from Fremont with an awesome steering wheel shake at highway speeds. I’d guess it was about 1-2 oz out. Took it to the local service center, who upgraded the cruising experience from miserable to just bad. Finally I took it to a competent shop and the front passenger wheel was still a half ounce out. Smooth as silk now. Your final roadforce numbers should be under 10 for a good balance.

Anyway, that being said I do have a *very* subtle vibration under light low speed acceleration. It’s not enough for me to worry about now but something to keep an eye on. The workaround is easy though…more right pedal!

• Informative
Reactions: smf72
The best way I can describe the vibration: Just like a lane departure warning from a standard car, but coming out of the pedals at your feet and steering wheel at 42 mph. Same exact frequency of vibration at higher speeds when turning lightly and accelerating lightly. Hard vibration when accelerating hard while in a light turn through the power band.

Reactions: Demonhunter