Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I may try it again as well. Problem is, I’ve quit caring about it. I could have sworn the vibration changes with weather as well.
Agreed. The weather got quite cold here in Seattle, and the vibration was certainly worse. Or it's just that more miles = more vibration. I'll get a better sense as it warms up. I've only got 2500 miles on my Plaid.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
Has any one looked at the EPC and examined the mounting of the front motor?

Elastomeric mounts change behavior significantly with temperature.

It could be everything everyone has said about this issue is true, but under certain conditions, the mounting of the motor is not sufficient to dampen normal vibrations.

Think of a bad shock absorber in a average coil over suspension. Nothing wrong with the springs or drive line, but a worn, or poorly sized shock, and you think the car is coming apart...

• Informative
Reactions: jebinc and WilliamG
Just checking in to see if there are any breakthroughs from Tesla, re our “normal” vibration. Anyone?
Just a new, personal experience, re: mitigating the vibration... So here goes!

First, and also last, thank you to @jebinc for being an awesome friend and helping (well, he basically did it himself) install n2itive's lowering links on the front of my 2022 Model S Plaid. This has been an interesting journey.

But let's recap:

Mid-2021, I picked up my first Model S Plaid. It did not exhibit any driveline vibration until 1,500 miles. I knew what the vibration felt like since I had driven @jebinc's. I drove his car back in 2021, and he drove mine. We both agreed mine had none, but his was... not good at all. Ironically, my car vibrated on the way home from him, and never stopped until the day it was bought back (for... so many issue I'm not going back over).

Mid-2022, I picked up my new Model S Plaid. This one vibrated from day 1. It wasn't terrible at first, but it's gotten worse as the winter has dragged on. Whether this is temperature related or mileage related, I can't say. I'm at 2500 miles now and the vibration is bad. In fact, while it started bad from around 37mph upwards, as time has gone on it's become bad from around 31-32mph and up. Peak vibration around 41-43mph, and then tapering off toward 50mph and upwards (though never fully gone). As with the 2021, putting the car into Track Mode with fully rear bias completely removes the vibration.

Now, and @jebinc will correct me if I'm wrong, - some time ago he had installed the n2itive links on the front and rear to try and tame the vibration. He ended up removing the rears, leaving just the front lowering links on. So, on his car, just the fronts, set to 2.4mm = a significant reduction in vibration, so much so that it's not even really bothersome anymore unless you really look for it. If it was 100% vibration before the links, it's now 15% after. I confirmed this by driving his car before and after, last year.

Now, lowering even further might help more, but these cars - for many of us - need to be daily drivable, especially up steeper driveways.

That brings us to today, February 8. I popped over to @jebinc to install his 2x spare lowering links on the front of my car. He drove my car first, so he could experience the stock vibration, and yep - he agreed it's bad. Front links installed, again at 2.4mm, we went for a drive, with both of us taking turns driving. What. A. Difference. Once again, if it was 100% vibration before the links, it's 15% after. Not gone, but actually not insanity-making like it used to be for me. We went out for lunch, to give the car a break, - and again, vibration did not change from its great reduction. I then drove the 40 minutes home, and - again - such a dream compared to what it was.

Note: The car needs to be left in Low suspension setting for the links to make themselves known. I did test this extensively on the way home. If you are cruising at slight load at ~40mph in Low, and switch to Medium, the vibration makes itself known immediately. So it's clear having the car very slightly lower than factory Low in the front is the key to unlocking a less stressful ride. This small amount of lowering is something I believe Tesla could pretty easily offer in software to mitigate the vibration, but thus far they don't seem interested in doing so. We know they can, because in Cheetah stance the car lowers itself in the front even lower than what the links offer. I should have taken a picture of the car before swapping in the links, but... I didn't. In any case...

Here's the car in Very High, with front n2itive links installed:

1675903759910.jpeg

Here's the car in Low, with front n2itive links installed:

1675903801647.jpeg

Here's the car in Cheetah Stance, with front n2itive links installed:

1675903945609.jpeg

So, for right now - and for today, results are very positive. I'll be monitoring over the coming days. Thanks again, @jebinc . You're a real pal.

Just a new, personal experience, re: mitigating the vibration... So here goes!

First, and also last, thank you to @jebinc for being an awesome friend and helping (well, he basically did it himself) install n2itive's lowering links on the front of my 2022 Model S Plaid. This has been an interesting journey.

But let's recap:

Mid-2021, I picked up my first Model S Plaid. It did not exhibit any driveline vibration until 1,500 miles. I knew what the vibration felt like since I had driven @jebinc's. I drove his car back in 2021, and he drove mine. We both agreed mine had none, but his was... not good at all. Ironically, my car vibrated on the way home from him, and never stopped until the day it was bought back (for... so many issue I'm not going back over).

Mid-2022, I picked up my new Model S Plaid. This one vibrated from day 1. It wasn't terrible at first, but it's gotten worse as the winter has dragged on. Whether this is temperature related or mileage related, I can't say. I'm at 2500 miles now and the vibration is bad. In fact, while it started bad from around 37mph upwards, as time has gone on it's become bad from around 31-32mph and up. Peak vibration around 41-43mph, and then tapering off toward 50mph and upwards (though never fully gone). As with the 2021, putting the car into Track Mode with fully rear bias completely removes the vibration.

Now, and @jebinc will correct me if I'm wrong, - some time ago he had installed the n2itive links on the front and rear to try and tame the vibration. He ended up removing the rears, leaving just the front lowering links on. So, on his car, just the fronts, set to 2.4mm = a significant reduction in vibration, so much so that it's not even really bothersome anymore unless you really look for it. If it was 100% vibration before the links, it's now 15% after. I confirmed this by driving his car before and after, last year.

Now, lowering even further might help more, but these cars - for many of us - need to be daily drivable, especially up steeper driveways.

That brings us to today, February 8. I popped over to @jebinc to install his 2x spare lowering links on the front of my car. He drove my car first, so he could experience the stock vibration, and yep - he agreed it's bad. Front links installed, again at 2.4mm, we went for a drive, with both of us taking turns driving. What. A. Difference. Once again, if it was 100% vibration before the links, it's 15% after. Not gone, but actually not insanity-making like it used to be for me. We went out for lunch, to give the car a break, - and again, vibration did not change from its great reduction. I then drove the 40 minutes home, and - again - such a dream compared to what it was.

Note: The car needs to be left in Low suspension setting for the links to make themselves known. I did test this extensively on the way home. If you are cruising at slight load at ~40mph in Low, and switch to Medium, the vibration makes itself known immediately. So it's clear having the car very slightly lower than factory Low in the front is the key to unlocking a less stressful ride. This small amount of lowering is something I believe Tesla could pretty easily offer in software to mitigate the vibration, but thus far they don't seem interested in doing so. We know they can, because in Cheetah stance the car lowers itself in the front even lower than what the links offer. I should have taken a picture of the car before swapping in the links, but... I didn't. In any case...

Here's the car in Very High, with front n2itive links installed:

View attachment 904871

Here's the car in Low, with front n2itive links installed:

View attachment 904873

Here's the car in Cheetah Stance, with front n2itive links installed:

View attachment 904875

So, for right now - and for today, results are very positive. I'll be monitoring over the coming days. Thanks again, @jebinc . You're a real pal.
Glad to hear Don’s @N2itive links could help out! But how about those rear camber arms!?