Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: vibration felt when slightly accelerating refresh Mode S Plaid or LR

Are you experiencing this issue with your Plaid or LR refresh?

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
so no real solution yet. i have noticed the vibration has got more obvious as the miles have increased now at 6k it is obvious every drive in the morning at low speeds in the neighborhood

I see no point in going into a service center they know less the most on this thread.

so no real solution yet. i have noticed the vibration has got more obvious as the miles have increased now at 6k it is obvious every drive in the morning at low speeds in the neighborhood

I see no point in going into a service center they know less the most on this thread.
Yup. No solution yet, other than lowering the car to make it go away. I would do that, except I am also trying to get my SC to fix my squeaking suspension first, and I'm sure they won't do that once I have lowered the car.

I'll keep everyone posted in the next few weeks when they try the new half shafts in my car.

Reactions: WilliamG
The only way at this point after all these reports by users Tesla will fix this problem is by a class action lawsuit forcing them to act. No guarantee there either but if there is a class action lawsuit it would not surprise me

The only way at this point after all these reports by users Tesla will fix this problem is by a class action lawsuit forcing them to act. No guarantee there either but if there is a class action lawsuit it would not surprise me
I think eventually they might fix it, through a revised half shaft design. Or they could just fix it in software. It would be an easy software fix to reduce the front motor torque under light acceleration. Although, we would lose some range and people would complain.

I think eventually they might fix it, through a revised half shaft design. Or they could just fix it in software. It would be an easy software fix to reduce the front motor torque under light acceleration. Although, we would lose some range and people would complain.
Hard to say exactly what would happen, but potentially there would be a slight range reduction, but also perhaps a traction reduction, too…

Hard to say exactly what would happen, but potentially there would be a slight range reduction, but also perhaps a traction reduction, too…

I don't think they have any interest in solving this problem, from all the excuses I have heard and even discussions i have had with the SC reps. If they do anything it will be the latter, remember the HVAC whistle vent issue b/c of poor design. They just updated the SW so you can't turn off the passenger vent. The Tesla way is to half ass fixes via SW rather than addressing the underlying issue.

In this case the half shaft design would require a significant investment into the problem to design a replacement and they have historically avoided this kind of fix.

I hate class actions but in this case if there is one against Tesla I would gladly sign up if it forces them to fix the problem. It is not about the money for many of us, just want the damn vibration issue fixed.

I don't think they have any interest in solving this problem, from all the excuses I have heard and even discussions i have had with the SC reps. If they do anything it will be the latter, remember the HVAC whistle vent issue b/c of poor design. They just updated the SW so you can't turn off the passenger vent. The Tesla way is to half ass fixes via SW rather than addressing the underlying issue.

In this case the half shaft design would require a significant investment into the problem to design a replacement and they have historically avoided this kind of fix.

I hate class actions but in this case if there is one against Tesla I would gladly sign up if it forces them to fix the problem. It is not about the money for many of us, just want the damn vibration issue fixed.

Yeah, I'd sign up to be a part of the class action too. But, I'd also accept the half-ass fix. It would be good enough.

They can turn the motor back on under hard acceleration. I don't care which motor is used under light acceleration.

At this point a fix is likely not in their roadmap. If you start the class action ill sign up :)
I don't have the time or a good lawyer. Also, I imagine some rich folk complaining about subtle vibrations in their steering between 40-50 mph in their $155k cars is not going to go over well with a jury.

It may be enough for a lemon law claim, though, depending on your state. And it seems like Tesla moves to proactively solve issues related to lemon law claims before they are actually filed, since the car gets labeled as "lemon" and loses resale value. Vs. if they buy it back before you file the lemon law claim, they can just resell it as a normal trade-in. So, if you are really annoyed and want to get rid of your car, you can start the lemon law process... I've mentioned it to my SA, but I have indicated that I would much rather prefer to keep my car and have it fixed.

tesla wont ever let it get that far to a lemon law scenario, they are pretty good at avoiding any accountability that makes them culpable in a lemon law case. The steering wheel material peeling is a perfect example. I still believe the only way this will get fixed is by someone filing a class action, until than enjoy the vibes. Mine actually vibrates from 10-45 on acceleration, i now people have it at different speeds.

tesla wont ever let it get that far to a lemon law scenario, they are pretty good at avoiding any accountability that makes them culpable in a lemon law case. The steering wheel material peeling is a perfect example. I still believe the only way this will get fixed is by someone filing a class action, until than enjoy the vibes. Mine actually vibrates from 10-45 on acceleration, i now people have it at different speeds.
Yeah, if they can't fix my car, I'll go the lemon law route and try to get another one. It'll be a roll of the dice if I get the vibration on the new car. Seems like about 50/50 odds.

10-45 under acceleration? Sounds like a different issue. How hard accel?

Thought we were talking about light vibration under no load conditions
There's no vibration under no-load conditions, is there? Thought were were talking about vibration under light-load conditions. I guess it depends on how much acceleration @af88 is referring to. I can feel the vibration under heavier acceleration pretty easily, but it's more fleeting as you cross those more trouble speeds much more quickly.

There's no vibration under no-load conditions, is there? Thought were were talking about vibration under light-load conditions. I guess it depends on how much acceleration @af88 is referring to. I can feel the vibration under heavier acceleration pretty easily, but it's more fleeting as you cross those more trouble speeds much more quickly.
I would expect any car to vibrate during a 9.2 quarter mile.

I have had an older loaner X that vibrated just driving around and I agree it’s annoying.

Whatever the issue(s) may be, not all cars are affected. No hint in my Aug ‘21 build at any speed or throttle position