Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: what’s your escape strategy when the Big One come?

After a natural disaster, will you drive an ICE or EV to escape?

• EV

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • ICE

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The only disasters here are hurricanes and I can leave well before they are an issue so I'd just take my Tesla. If something sudden happens then most likely take a hybrid. Every super charger in the area will have way to huge of a line to deal with in that case.

Thinking about it for a bit, this gets complex. I'd say it's a pretty close tossup but I'd lean just over to the side of electricity. There is such a dependence on electricity now that even if gas were easier to come by I'd say a good portion of it would be devoted to creating electricity through generators. After some napkin math, I'm figuring that if you run a generator and use that to charge an EV you will get a higher MPG than you would by putting that gas into an ICE car - the trade-off being a probable slow charge depending on what generator and adapters you have access to. The question then becomes how fast and nimble you need to be vs how scarce resources are and how efficient you need to be long term. Gas being the more nimble option up front but an EV/generator combo being more efficient when things are scarce. The other point I can add is that electricity doesn't care if gas, deisil, propane, solar, or wind is being used to create it giving you access to potentially many more energy sources.

My personal answer to the poll is an EV, but that's because I haven't owned an ICE car for over a year now. I'd choose an EV over an ICE anyway though since I think they are far more flexible long term and have a number of benefits during an evac/traffic situation. I do have an enclosed utility trailer with solar on the roof that I could tow behind my X but it is only big enough to give me about 5 miles of charge per day in ideal sunny conditions. Not great if I want to be fast but would allow me the option of some transportation if all other infrastructure died.

Reactions: jdchi
Found it interesting that Tesla was very proactive by releasing full battery power (at no charge) to their customers that had software limited (cheaper) versions of their cars.

They OTA activated the full capacity of their batteries to customers in disaster areas. This would allow them to escape their disaster area and drive to a safer local. Tesla gave them enough advanced warning so everyone could charge up completely prior to leaving.

While ICE vehicles were standing in long lines to fill their tanks, Tesla owners were conveniently plugged into their home charging systems.

Many gas stations were quickly closed as they ran out of petrol, and tankers were unable to get to them to be refilled.

Currently in back country areas of California, the utility companies are cutting power to communities that are in high fire danger. Citizens can get neither gas nor electricity when that happens. This is happening even when there is no fire, but just the high threat of fire.

In a real disaster, it would be important to take your ideological blinders off.

The infrastructure to provide gasoline is at least 100X probably more like 1000X as developed as the infrastructure to charge cars. Plus 100 pounds of gasoline will take you 350 miles and take two minutes to put in your car, two minutes of charging at a supercharger brings you 12 miles at best.

Climate change is a concern for people who don't need bottled water and ammunition on their checklist before they go out of the house.

I can't edit a post once I sent it? I forgot to mention a gas station with a Honda generator can pump gas until it is out of gas. Try running a supercharger off a Honda generator. (Hint: you can't.)

You can, of course, charge the car off a Honda generator, pausing periodically to use the generator to pump more gas for the generator, until such time as the entire station runs out of gas. :)

How well do gas pumps work without electricity?
Good point, yet I will say there are a LOT more gas stations than charging stations and the probability of being about to drive to another location just outside of the area where I can pump gasoline is more likely than having to drive 50 + miles to a charging station that works. Depends on the location of course. I would also feel more confident that I can fill the car in about 3 minutes as compared to sitting in one location for 30+ minutes hoping the electricity will stay on and give me more mileage.

I got solar and powerwalls so as long as my home isn’t damaged to the point of being uninhabitable I’ll probably take my chances with the Teslas. Would actually be able to barter rides for supplies if it came to that. If my home is destroyed then I’m gambling that there will be at least a 110v outlet somewhere within 200-250 miles.

Given the recent seismic activities in SoCal, I’ve been thinking about a plan in case of emergency. Would it be easier to find gas than electricity after an earthquake?
Just a side comment; why is it a binary decision? Depending on what is going on, I might just decide to take a motor bike. ;)
Although the poll asks about a disaster implying any kind, you specifically mention an earthquake in the text. For me, it depends on the type of disaster.

For an earthquake, I will take the ICE car. For something like a massive wildfire, I will take the Tesla. I am speaking from experience going down a road near Paradise California a couple years ago. The Tesla might be a little more likely to make it through a fire area (I said a little more), but the important thing to me at that time was the Bio-Hazard mode in the MX was incredible at keeping smoke out of the inside of the car and I was amazed at how well it worked. I didn't smell a thing yet the smoke outside was THICK.

For other types of disaster, I will decide at the time. It's not a 100% one car or the other for me. Like Ralph says, take off the blinders. :)

When the big one comes, not sure that my car will be accessible as I assume that part of the garage may come tumbling down or at least, the garage door will be inoperable. Also, roads will be blocked as some overpasses will collapse. Finally, its likely that the parts of the grid will be down, and the superchargers the they support, so one can only go as far as the current charge will allow.

But to answer the question, we got rid of our ICE cars, so we are 'stuck' escaping in two model 3's....

When the big one comes, not sure that my car will be accessible as I assume that part of the garage may come tumbling down or at least, the garage door will be inoperable. Also, roads will be blocked as some overpasses will collapse. Finally, its likely that the parts of the grid will be down, so one can only go as far as the current charge will allow.
Which is why you should plug your car in EVERY night to 90%

I got solar and powerwalls so as long as my home isn’t damaged to the point of being uninhabitable I’ll probably take my chances with the Teslas. Would actually be able to barter rides for supplies if it came to that. If my home is destroyed then I’m gambling that there will be at least a 110v outlet somewhere within 200-250 miles.

New plan... Im going to commasign's house :)

If it is earthquake and we are talking apocalypse levels of damage, I am taking my Tacoma and setting off thru the desert to escape. Tacoma would also be more useful in damaged road situations after an earthquake as well.

If I lived in a hurricane zone with mass evacuations, I would take the EV. Better for the 5mph freeway crawl out of town.