Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: what’s your escape strategy when the Big One come?

After a natural disaster, will you drive an ICE or EV to escape?

• EV

Votes: 23 56.1%
  • ICE

Votes: 18 43.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Which would I take? An EV, hands down.
Of course, I live in an area where disasters are very localized. Tornadoes and Floods, both of which don't require me to go very far to get out of the disaster zone.
I suppose we could have a regional scale grid outage, in which case I would far prefer an EV (Solar on our house with BU batteries).

It really depends on the kind of natural disaster we are talking about. For weather events (which you can see coming), I would think an EV would be better than ICE for evacuation. Better efficiency at the lower speeds you would be forced into. Once your out of harms way, you will likely be into an area where the power grid is still functioning. A couple hundred miles range, in most cases, is plenty to get out of the area hit hard by hurricanes and tornadoes.

For something like a devastating earthquake that you can't see coming, you are actually better off keeping enough emergency supplies on hand to last at least a couple weeks and stay put after the shaking stops. Provided you survive that part. Even in developing countries that experience huge earthquakes, getting the power grid back up is a bigger priority than shipping gas in; and they gas they do bring in is prioritized for rebuilding efforts. In the US, I would expect most places hit by a devastating earthquake to have power back up within a couple weeks.