Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: What brand of car did your Tesla replace?

What car brand did your Tesla replace?

• Acura/Honda

Votes: 13 6.8%
  • Audi

Votes: 14 7.3%
  • BMW

Votes: 32 16.8%
  • Chrysler

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • Ford

Votes: 6 3.1%
  • GM

Votes: 16 8.4%
  • Infiniti/Nissan

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Jaguar

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • Lexus/Toyota

Votes: 33 17.3%
  • Mercedes

Votes: 17 8.9%
  • Porsche

Votes: 10 5.2%
  • Other (please describe)

Votes: 35 18.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Barry

Aug 9, 2013
Colorado
Curious which car company is affected most my Tesla.
As number of poll choices is limited, if yours is not listed, please choose Other and specify.
Also, I lumped the luxury divisions of the big 3 Japanese cars with their parent company.
Thanks.

Last edited:
if you didn't buy the Tesla, what would you have bought...

The thread title "What car brand did your Tesla replace?" and the above seem like two different questions.

I voted with which car brand my Tesla DID replace. If I were not getting a Tesla, I WOULD get a different car brand [from what I have now].

Last edited:
Cadillac CTS. Loved that car and would likely have replaced with same if not for the Model S. Interestingly, my TCO is lower with the Tesla than the Cadillac (even though the Caddy was a lot less expensive) mainly due to the amount I drive and how much I save on "fuel" costs.

My Model S (purchased in March 2013) replaced an aging 2002 Mitsubishi Eclipse Spyder GT (convertible) with 196,000 miles. They offered me a whopping $400 for a trade in, but I did much better on craigslist and sold the car for $2,500.

I doubt many other Model S's replaced Mitsubishi's since Mitsu was already circling the drain at that point. Our local Mitsubishi dealer is basically a used car lot at this point.

What if the Tesla is one's first car or if it was added to one's fleet? Other?

if it is your first car then answer what you would have bought if Tesla didn't exist.
if you would not have bought any different car, and Tesla is was your only consideration, don't vote.

If it is a fleet add then answer what you would have bought instead, if anything, if Tesla didn't exist.
If you would not have been compelled enough by anything else to buy it, do not vote.
Unless, if it was a fleet add and you find yourself favoring use of the Tesla over some other car in the fleet, name that car.

The idea is clear to me here, "what vehicle companies should be shittin their boots when they read this poll?"

This is the most impactful poll this forum could run, and Tesla would love to have us run.
how about them rules?

In my case, my daily driver replaced was a Benz, and my next consideration was a Benz in the running, near the lead, so clearly my answer to the poll was Mercedes. Sorry Daimler. BUT thanks for the steering column, it's a nice vestige and reminder of your quality.

Last edited:
No Hyundai as option?

the Gen Coupe was replaced by the Tesla

DSC01008.jpg

I traded in my 2013 Subaru Legacy Limited with Eyesight (best rated collision avoidance system of any brand, also had adaptive cruise and lane monitoring) for $17k, likely could have gotten $22+ but then more sales tax to deal with.

Before choosing the Tesla I actually was going to replace my Subaru with the new 2015 model of the same car because it had the second generation Eyesight cameras with color vision, twice the range and field of vision and much faster reaction time (prevents an accident if you are about to hit another car and within 31mph of their speed) as well as blind spot protection where it can see a car speeding up fast next to you and rear cross traffic alert when backing out of a parking space / driveway.

When I bought my Subaru I looked at Tesla but turned it down due to lack of Autopilot, and I never considered any other expensive car because I had most of the same features for a fraction of the price. However, what pushed me over the edge to get my S85D last month was:
-Autopilot with lane keeping expected soon, first car to steer more than 10 secs without human intervention
-Software updates that ensure the car can actually improve after you drive off the lot; Getting a bump in 0-60 time from 5.2 to 4.4 after I already bought the car was a big surprise!
-Dual motor with AWD was a big factor due to winter weather, I ordered just after that and autopilot were made available
-My dad got a Tesla right before me (P85) and I fell in love after driving it, the roller coaster feeling when you accelerate is incredible. My gf loved it too =)
- I just got a new job paying over 30% more which helps make the car more in my budget
- I now have a 30 mile commute each way (though luckily with very little traffic) so not needing gas is great, but not much of a factor in my decision since I had to pay $2500 to install my 220v outlet and pay an extra $50/mo in assessments for the electricity in my condo garage; plus I had decent mpg before in a much cheaper car that still had most autopilot features (spent 6x more than the trade in value to get the tesla)

So in the end to be honest the PRIMARY reason I chose the Tesla was for lane keeping, the one feature that truly will set it apart from any other car (at least for a couple years). However, the combination of all factors is what justified the price for me.

Last edited: