Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What charging plugs have you used?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

Cosmacelf

Supporting Member
Mar 6, 2013
San Diego
It's time again for my semi annual charging method poll. Approximately every six months, I ask the community how they charge their Teslas. I've changed the question slightly this time in that I want the answers to reflect how people charge at home as well as on the road. In 3-4 days when I've collected about 150 responses, I'll post results with proper percentages (the immediate poll calculation results you'll see isn't a useful way of seeing the data), and some comments about how this has changed over time.

By the way, I'm using this third party polling tool since I ask this question in a lot of disparate places (facebook, Tesla forums, etc.) so I don't want to use this forum's polling system.

Thank you for your response!

Quick poll

ps. if you chose "Other" please reply to the thread with what that other charging method was.

Yes, that's why I posted in the North America charging subgroup. I would edit my post to make that more explicit since I know that people often get to new posts in ways that don't make it obvious what subforum they are in, but the forum software doesn't let me. Thanks for asking/clarifying.

Yes, I would care about the difference between a locking variant and a non locking one. However I don't have an entry for any locking variant on the poll since it so rarely comes up. Treat a locking plug as "Other" and let me know in the comments to this thread.

OK guys, here are the results. Out of 317 respondents, here's what people use to charge their Tesla. NOTE, the results don't indicate how often people use these methods, just which methods they have used in the past year.

upload_2016-5-6_9-14-25.png

In particular, Tesla's discontinuation of the dryer plugs (10-30 and 14-30) while supporting the 6-15 is just plain stupid. There is no other word for it. Even the 6-50 is also 2.5 times as popular as the 6-15 adapter. Let's see how things have changed over time:

upload_2016-5-6_9-19-21.png

The decrease in Supercharge use is interesting - I suspect this is due to the fact I had twice as many respondents and a more diverse population than in previous polls (this time I advertised it on Tesla Facebook groups), so basically, I think the Sep 2015 result of 98% usage wasn't accurate, and this time's result of 84% is more accurate, but that's just a guess.

CHAdeMo use is increasing slightly, but the take away is that it is useful at about 20% of Tesla owners having used it.

J1772 use is dropping over time, which makes sense as I suspect other types of destination charging (and maybe Supercharging) is supplanting it.

The NEMA 14-50 increase this time is due to the different poll question (this time I asked about charging on the road AND at home), so ignore that.

Interesting that HPWC usage has stayed pretty constant at about 45% the last three polls.

That's it. I'll continue to lobby Tesla for resupporting the 10-30, 14-30, and 6-50 adapters. Am I out of line for suspecting the person responsible for the adapter program to be completely incompetent?

In particular, Tesla's discontinuation of the dryer plugs (10-30 and 14-30) while supporting the 6-15 is just plain stupid. There is no other word for it.

That's it. I'll continue to lobby Tesla for resupporting the 10-30, 14-30, and 6-50 adapters. Am I out of line for suspecting the person responsible for the adapter program to be completely incompetent?

A-frickin-men! It's ridiculous. That 6-15 is incredibly stupid. I have never seen one out in the wild. However, it did just occur to me that I have created a use for a 6-15 accidentally. I bought a Quick220 box last year, and to have the widest possible compatibility, I got the one that plugs into two 5-15 outlets, rather than needing two 5-20 outlets, which I thought might be harder to find near each other. The Quick220 preserves the amperage rating, so the output receptacle is...a 6-15. I just built a small adapter cable from the 6-15 to 14-50, so I could use my RV extension cord with it, but that's a pretty kludgey hookup that I have not needed to use yet. I should probably just make a 5-15 to 6-15 adapter, so I can use my thinner regular extension cord, and it keeps the amp rating correct on the UMC.