Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What do you use to charge away from home (Canada/US)?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Thanks Cosmac, that's just what I wanted to know.

What's the indicator you used? I see you've connected it between Gnd and one of the hots on the 6-50 so it must be ok if it sees >125.... not an LED, or maybe an LED with a resistor.

I think that picture is misleading. I'm almost positive I would have used a 240V AC indicator lamp across the hots. Ground should never be used as a current return path. Just search for 240V indicator lamp and you'll find lots of different sizes, colors, and mounting types.

Would a 10-30R be a better choice than a 14-50R for the combiner box? That way one could use the Tesla 10-30 UMC adapter and have a (more) correct initial charge current setting.

Great idea. Using the 50 amp plug would surely end up with somebody overloading the circuit, since the highest rated 120v outlet of widespread availability is only 30 amps (the TT-30 "30 amp" trailer plug).

Perhaps a box that had two outlets; one 10-30, and one 5-15/5-20, so that the correct UMC plug could be used, depending on the circuits used. A super low tech hinged cover would only expose one outlet at a time.

OK, since we last talked about the TT-30 on this thread, I opened a conversation with Tesla about the TT-30 and the 20A limitation on the older (pre-2014) cars. I went as far to send pictures of a newer Tesla charging at above 20A (got up to 30A, probably could have gone to 40A). As well as my car limited to 20A. Here is the results of the conversation:

Tesla: "I’ve reached out to engineering, and it appears that your vehicle is operating as intended. Your Model S , P031XX, is equipped with the first generation on-board charger and is intended to operate at a maximum of 20 amps when the voltage supply is in the 120 volt range. I wasn’t able to determine why the second Model S, P38XXX, does not have the same 120 volt supply limitation of 20 amps"

Me: "Did the engineering team say the older chargers could be software upgraded to support more? Could this be included in a future update?"

Tesla: "I wasn’t able to get a definitive answer to that, however it seemed unlikely"