Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What future Tesla product are you looking the most forward to?

What future Tesla product are you looking the most forward to?

• Semi

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Model Y

Votes: 27 25.5%
  • Pickup

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • Next-generation Roadster

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • Economy vehicle(s)

Votes: 5 4.7%
  • Supercharger V3

Votes: 9 8.5%
  • Powerwall 3

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Model S, X refresh / new variants

Votes: 14 13.2%
  • Other (describe)

Votes: 6 5.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
Purely out of curiosity :)

While what I really want to see is an Aptera-like streamliner from Tesla, I chose "pickup" rather than "other" because Tesla has given no signs of intending to ever make a streamliner :Þ My hope is that the pickup will be a hard-core beat-it-up-and-it-keeps-going high-clearance rugged offroad truck, rather than some urban cruiser / style-statement pickup.

Supercharger V3 is probably my second choice. I really want to see more powerful and capable supercharging infrastructure deployed, and hopefully forming a global standard for the future.

Reactions: 365gtb4
Stated product timelines:

Semi: Unveiling in September. Production schedule unknown.

Model Y: "Soon". Some hints that there might be more details given at the Semi unveiling. Tesla production focus is expected to switch to the Model Y after the Model 3 scaleup is complete.

Pickup: Unveiling has been pushed back to early 2019.

Roadster: Unknown. Has been stated to be another convertible, but few other details have been given. Appears to be a lower priority product.

Economy vehicles: Tesla has continually hinted about future low-budget vehicles, but appears to not be interested in talking much about them in order to avoid an Osbourne Effect.

Supercharger V3: Last discussion was in December 2016, where the pieces were said to be an element that is "in place" for rollout to support solar supercharging stations. Said to make 350kW look like a "children's toy". Unclear whether it will be similar power to current superchargers (just to more vehicles), or higher max power per vehicle (given that it is also supposed to help support Semi, and given that Tesla has focused a number of recent patents on higher-power charging)

Powerwall 3: Few details available.

Fishing trawler: Nah, just kidding. ;)

Last edited:
The Model Y is too easy. Yeah, I'm looking forward to that as my wife's next car.

My "Other" vote was for when SpaceX gets their "Internet from space" satellite constellation in place. You know, the service that is supposed to fund Elon's Mars project. Over 4000 satellites making internet "dead spots" a thing of the past (unless you're underground or underwater).

If they develop a mobile antenna/transceiver for this, then cellular communication in the car is no longer necessary. Tesla won't have to buy bandwidth from ATT or whomever. Once THAT is in place, streaming ANYTHING is possible - with a heck of a lot more bandwidth than satellite radio has.

* Economy vehicle: (I would prefer use the term 'Compact car')

I choose this option as I would like to see a Model 2 version, about
the size of the Bolt, Golf, Leaf, i3...
even if the price is similar to the current Model 3.

This would be an ideal city car especially in Europe or Asia.

I need a car easy to park but still be able to carry 5 people.

Being in the US with SUVs being ubiquitous, MY has the highest impact on # of EVs on the road, on public perception of EV, and on the willingness of traditional automakers to go electric, so that's easily my #1. #2 would be semi, which will have very high miles driven per vehicle, and thus large emission reduction, maybe even more than any passenger vehicles. Pickup trucks probably #3 for me.

I'm most looking forward to the next Roadster, but what I think would better benefit Tesla is:

- ramping up the 3 with a heavy emphasis on quality versus quantity. Nothing remotely comes close to getting this right.
- building on that, a Model Y closely resembling the 3 and not the X [most crossovers and SUVs look great and eschew the egg shape]
- fleet buyer oriented commercial vehicles - StreetScooter with Deutsche Post / DHL backing are doing it for Europe, and kudos to them
- clean but luxe refresh of the Model S interior, as the established manufacturers know how to do this really well

While what I'm most curious about is what's going on inside the Gigafactory, ever since Tesla found they could increase its capacity three or fourfold from the initial projection. That's really a lot of batteries to be building out in Nevada.

Agree with this, except:

most crossovers and SUVs look great and eschew the egg shape

The shape is not about "style", it's about aerodynamics. And aerodynamic drag is the chief determiner of highway range, making up about 70% or so of the energy consumption (the faster you drive, the higher that percentage). Cut the range by 2/3rds range by doubling the drag coefficient and nobody buys your car. Or even if you could increase the number of cells you can put on an M3-sized skateboard (you can't), if you did, restoring your range with more batteries... well, let's just point out that adding another 90 miles range on a base M3 (only 41% of the base range) costs $9k, so restoring the range would be expected to cost an additional $15k. Again, nobody would buy your car.

It's easy to see why they focus so heavily on fractions of a percent when it comes to the drag coefficient. Going from a drag coefficient of ,23 to ,24 raises the price by an extra $600-700 to yield the same range (if you actually have space for the extra batteries). It's also worth pointing out that that's not the only problem that comes with reduced vehicle efficiency. Whenever charging power is limited (aka, everywhere but Superchargers), your miles-per-hour charging is directly proportional to your vehicle's efficiency.

It's like the whole discussion over aero wheels. Physics doesn't care about what you happen to consider stylish.

Last edited:
I'm eager to see Tesla sell a nice pickup. Today in North America, trucks are extremely popular, they are objects of lust, and are treated as extensions of the male anatomy. Tesla's strategy has been to create desire for EVs.

For a stock truck, an EV could offer the best ground clearance (with air suspension), the most low-end torque, the most versatile 4WD, the fastest acceleration (of a truck), the ability to plough through deep water, snow, or mud, the ability to provide remote AC power, and offer some covered cargo space via a frunk. Sure, it would be expensive, but it would be aspirational in nature and help sell other Tesla vehicles and EVs in general. If we're in a financial position to do so, I'll consider buying a Tesla truck even though we don't truly "need" one, partly because there are so many truck lovers where we live. (Don't get me wrong - a truck would be handy for moving stuff on occasion, for driving through unploughed snow, and for rough dirt roads, but I don't consider those to be essential needs and we sold our small ICE truck years ago.)

As a practical matter, though, I recognize that the Model Y should be much easier for Tesla to design and build, and it would open up a huge market segment (CUVs). Ideally, it would be great if Tesla can work on a truck and the Model Y in parallel (along with the Semi, solar roof, Powerwall, autonomous driving, etc., etc.).

Also, assuming the Tesla Semi proves to be truly beastly, that will provide street cred for a future truck, the Model Y CUV, and even for the existing Model X.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to faster charging technology (both the battery and the stations). The current system is just OK, for normal people it's still a hassle to wait 30+ minutes for a charge. Faster charging combined with an international charging network would make Tesla unstoppable.

Where is the All of the above option...?

I am super curious about the Semi and personally interested in the Model Y (or a hatchback model 3)

Missing from the list: hypersonic electric vtol plane

I chose "Other"-- and since I was asked to describe... I agree with @gjunky -- "All the above"

Can I add a service of sorts: "Tesla Performance Driving school"...

yea I know about FSD, but until then let's have an option to have fun--learning how to get the most performance out of our Teslas!

The semi isn't anything exciting personally but I'm still most excited about it because semis are the worst noise and environmental polluters on the road. Diesel is a terrible and dirty fuel. It should honestly be outlawed. The motor industry has been trying to sell it as clean and we know it backfired. It's just plain dirty!

Noise is the other thing that personally bothers me. Living in Los Angeles you cannot escape the noise from traffic. Semis are the loudest vehicles on the road and they come in large numbers. We have accepted it because there was no alternative. Finally there is!

Next thing we need to get off the roads are boy racers and motorcycles that are modified to be extremely noisy.

Reactions: abasile