Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What garage charging solution did you choose?

What Charging solution did you have installed?

• Tesla HPWC @ 60 amp

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Tesla HPWC > 60 amp

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • NEMA 14-50 240v with NO additional mobile charging pack purchased

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • NEMA 14-50 240v WITH additional mobile charging pack purchased

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Regular 110v

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm curious what other Model 3 owners have decided for their garage charging needs. It seems my installer and Tesla themselves are pushing me to get a HWPC, but I am leaning toward just a NEMA 14-50 @ 60 amps and taking the mobile connector with me when I travel and/or relying on Super Charging when I travel.

I'm curious what other Model 3 owners have decided for their garage charging needs. It seems my installer and Tesla themselves are pushing me to get a HWPC, but I am leaning toward just a NEMA 14-50 @ 60 amps and taking the mobile connector with me when I travel and/or relying on Super Charging when I travel.

Model 3's second generation mobile connector can only charge at 32 amps, requiring a 40 amp circuit. You can install it on a 50 amp circuit, but 60 would not meet code, as the breaker will be oversized for the receptacle.

If I went with a NEMA 14-50 220v how could I future proof it in case I decided I wanted to switch to a Tesla HPWC?

I assume by North you mean Canada. If so NEMA 14-50 is 240v not 220v.

Personally I had a 50a breaker and NEMA 14-50 installed and I'm using an openEVSE that only does 32a max. It's garage charging. I don't need faster charging at home. I can charge at 10a and still get to a full charge overnight.

If I charge at 32a I get a little over twice the range per night charging but I don't drive twice as far so it's a moo point.

Reactions: jsmay311
If I went with a NEMA 14-50 240v how could I future proof it in case I decided I wanted to switch to a Tesla HPWC?

Run wiring capable of supporting 60 amps. Then when you're ready to upgrade to a HPWC, remove the 14-50 receptacle, install the wall connector and upgrade the circuit breaker to 60 amps.

I assume by North you mean Canada. If so NEMA 14-50 is 240v not 220v.

Personally I had a 50a breaker and NEMA 14-50 installed and I'm using an openEVSE that only does 32a max. It's garage charging. I don't need faster charging at home. I can charge at 10a and still get to a full charge overnight.

If I charge at 32a I get a little over twice the range per night charging but I don't drive twice as far so it's a moo point.

I'm just shy of Canada :) And yes, that was a typo I meant 240. Not sure why I said 220, but I edited the correction in.

So it is safe to say that once I make the decision to do a NEMA 14-50 I can only use a max of 50amp? Therefore, if I ever wanted to go to a HPWC I would need to add another run for the 60amp? I'm not convinced I need the higher charging rate either, especially since I have one EV and not two.

JuiceBox Pro 40 EVSE plugged into a 14-50 outlet. Already had it for use with the Leaf, but bought that model in anticipation of the 3 arriving.

Ditto here. We have a Volvo PHEV that uses the JuiceBox nightly, and the Model 3 uses it as needed and also has the UMC mounted in a semi-permanent state, but plugged into a regular 5-15 outlet. Had planned to upgrade that to a 5-20 for kicks before I realized that our home builder cheaped out on the wiring and used 14 AWG rather than 12.

I'm just shy of Canada :) And yes, that was a typo I meant 240. Not sure why I said 220, but I edited the correction in.

So it is safe to say that once I make the decision to do a NEMA 14-50 I can only use a max of 50amp? Therefore, if I ever wanted to go to a HPWC I would need to add another run for the 60amp? I'm not convinced I need the higher charging rate either, especially since I have one EV and not two.

You could use larger wiring than required for the 50A circuit, so that if/when you decide to go higher, you don't need a new run--would just need to change out the outlet and breaker.

As I said above, run wiring capable of supporting 60 amps to your NEMA 14-50. Then when you want to upgrade, all you have to do is install the wall connector and swap out the circuit breaker for a 60 amp. That will give you full charging speed on your Model 3.

Thanks, this is the info I was wanting to know if worked. So to make sure I understand, I can run 60amp wiring from my panel to my garage and connect it to a 14-50 receptacle. The 60amp cable won't overload the 14-50 receptacle.

Correct. You'll need to make sure the circuit breaker is the appropriate size for your receptacle. Since it's a NEMA 14-50, that's either 40 amps or 50 amps. Since your mobile connector can only support a 32 amp charge rate, the ideal circuit breaker size would be 40 amps. If you're in Canada (not sure where "The North" is), electrical code will only let you do a maximum of 40 amps on a NEMA 14-50, from my understanding.

Correct. You'll need to make sure the circuit breaker is the appropriate size for your receptacle. Since it's a NEMA 14-50, that's either 40 amps or 50 amps. Since your mobile connector can only support a 32 amp charge rate, the ideal circuit breaker size would be 40 amps. If you're in Canada (not sure where "The North" is), electrical code will only let you do a maximum of 40 amps on a NEMA 14-50, from my understanding.

I'll talk to my electrician about options and what fits code. I'm in MN. My local energy company, surprisingly, has been awesome about answering questions. Maybe I'll give them a call and talk through it all because it also needs to pass their inspection - they have a $500 rebate right now.

Reactions: Big Earl
We're sharing a 240V/20A circuit, utilizing a J1772 charge cable plus Tesla adapter (15mph). I installed it last year for our Volvo PHEV, and decided it's sufficient for the 3. Since it was an easy install, I might just duplicate the circuit so I don't have to deal with switching the plugs back and forth.

Reactions: jsmay311
Existing NEMA 6-50 plug using Tesla adapter and existing Tesla mobile charging pack. 32 Amps max, 29-30 miles per hour charging rate. Typical commute for me is in the mid to high 50's per day, with a ~200-250 mile trip about once a month or so. Haven't had to plug in anywhere else but my garage since I bought my car, but I'm still a newby..... five weeks, 1500 miles so far.

Reactions: M3BlueGeorgia
I don't drive more than 30-40 miles in a given day and that's not every day, so charging overnight with a 120V outlet has been sufficient for me. I did try charging from my existing dryer outlet (10-30) and it's really nice having the battery topped off in a couple of hours, so I'll look into having a dedicated 240V outlet installed in my garage. Since it's an older house and I don't want to spend a lot for a 14-50, I may just go with a 30A circuit, which is much more than adequate for my needs. For any road trips (infrequent), I'll just take the UMC with me and/or rely on Supercharging.