Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What garage charging solution did you choose?

What Charging solution did you have installed?

• Tesla HPWC @ 60 amp

Votes: 18 21.4%
  • Tesla HPWC > 60 amp

Votes: 12 14.3%
  • NEMA 14-50 240v with NO additional mobile charging pack purchased

Votes: 30 35.7%
  • NEMA 14-50 240v WITH additional mobile charging pack purchased

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Regular 110v

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • Other

Votes: 14 16.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I survived on my regular 110 for the first 3 months of having mine, but in the winter I'm getting about 40% range due to the cold. So I need to get something installed ASAP because I have a daily 55 mile rt commute. Thanks for all the responses, keep them coming! :)

I'm curious what other Model 3 owners have decided for their garage charging needs. It seems my installer and Tesla themselves are pushing me to get a HWPC, but I am leaning toward just a NEMA 14-50 @ 60 amps and taking the mobile connector with me when I travel and/or relying on Super Charging when I travel.
No option for someone like me who put in both a tesla HPWC and NEMA 14-50 next to it.

I'm curious what other Model 3 owners have decided for their garage charging needs. It seems my installer and Tesla themselves are pushing me to get a HWPC, but I am leaning toward just a NEMA 14-50 @ 60 amps and taking the mobile connector with me when I travel and/or relying on Super Charging when I travel.

For many people a simple 120V plug is more than sufficient. I've got my 2018 Leaf charging off 120V and my Model 3 on the UMC and a 14-50.
The 14-50 is much more flexible than the HPWC. The 14-50 can support other EVs, welders, Camping Trailers and numerous other things.

I bought an extra UMC so that it stays plugged in, so like a HPWC, all I do is plug into the car each day. Plugging anything into the 14-50 daily, is a lot of wear.

I was also using another EVSE and the J-1772 adapter to begin with, but the UMC has the button to open the charge port, that just makes it simpler to use.

For many people a simple 120V plug is more than sufficient. I've got my 2018 Leaf charging off 120V and my Model 3 on the UMC and a 14-50.
The 14-50 is much more flexible than the HPWC. The 14-50 can support other EVs, welders, Camping Trailers and numerous other things.

I bought an extra UMC so that it stays plugged in, so like a HPWC, all I do is plug into the car each day. Plugging anything into the 14-50 daily, is a lot of wear.

I was also using another EVSE and the J-1772 adapter to begin with, but the UMC has the button to open the charge port, that just makes it simpler to use.

My only turn off in buying a second UMC is the price. Unless I'm wrong, the UMC typically retails for around $300?

My only turn off in buying a second UMC is the price. Unless I'm wrong, the UMC typically retails for around $300?
Yes, it's $300. I guess it really depends on how often you'd need the UMC while traveling and where there's no convenient access to a Supercharger or Destination charger. In my case, I don't foresee needing to have it with me in the car more than once a year, if that. Most of our family/friends are local and we fly to visit faraway family or vacation destinations. So, for that rare occasion, unhooking the UMC from the garage is not a big deal for me.

Yes, it's $300. I guess it really depends on how often you'd need the UMC while traveling and where there's no convenient access to a Supercharger or Destination charger. In my case, I don't foresee needing to have it with me in the car more than once a year, if that. Most of our family/friends are local and we fly to visit faraway family or vacation destinations. So, for that rare occasion, unhooking the UMC from the garage is not a big deal for me.

This is what I figure too. I travel out of state maybe 5 times a max a year, and average maybe 1.5. So it's unlikely that I'll need to unplug often. Thanks for the feedback.

I voted that I had an HPWC > 60 which is only part of the setup.
We have 2 HPWCs sharing a 100amp circuit. Plus a 14-50 on a 50amp circuit as a backup or to use in the driveway...

Tesla Model 3 & Model S Load Sharing 2 HPWCs (720p)

This was our initial cable management setup:

Tesla Wall Charger Cable Management

This is a recent modification/upgrade to our cable management setup:

Tesla Wall Charger Cable Management System Upgrade.

For clarification, is "Tesla HPWC > 60 amp" a circuit greater or less than 60 amp? Are you asking if someone installed a 100 amp circuit for future proofing or looking for someone installing a 50 amp circuit and just charging at 40 amps?

For clarification, is "Tesla HPWC > 60 amp" a circuit greater or less than 60 amp? Are you asking if someone installed a 100 amp circuit for future proofing or looking for someone installing a 50 amp circuit and just charging at 40 amps?
Looks like this question is for the OP...
For us, that is partly correct. Initially we had 1 HPWC on a 100amp circuit for our Model S, which has a 72amp onboard charger. A 90 amp circuit would be enough for max. (80%of 90=72)
We added the second HPWC right before taking delivery of our Model 3.

You're correct, I was looking to see how many people went ahead and future proofed when they installed the HPWC. That's why I put the two options between 60 and 100.