Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What is most important to you in owning (or wanting to own) a Tesla?

Which three of the following is most important to you in buying (or wanting to buy) a Tesla?

• Climate change (100% EV)

• Performance (generally fastest production car in its class)

• Innovation (e.g the futuristic interiors, gull wing X)

• Branding (à la iPhone)

• Manufacturing industry reboot (e.g. Gigafactory)

• Transportation industry reboot (e.g. Fleet of generic, shared-use M3s which remember ur settings)

• Cult of Elon (e.g. association w SpaceX, Boring Co., etc.)

• Safety (safest cars ever tested)

• Autonomous driving

• Price (Model 3 is marketed as first affordable, mass-market EV)

• Other

• Range (e.g. greater than EV competitors, SuperCharger network)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm fascinated by the Tesla equation - would their cars be as coveted if they were mediocre performers? It's not just about climate change - Tesla hit on so many angles. I'd like to know what about Tesla is most important to you owning one (or wanting to own one).

(Anyone know how to conduct a prioritization poll?)

Reactions: RedOctober
Definitely the sublime combination of the mission of advancing renewable energy and just making an awesome product.

To use a rough analogy: Republicans want an awesome product. Democrats want renewable energy for environmental benefits. As I find is often the case, the best solutions come when someone with power realizes that both are desirable and optimizes them together. Thanks, Elon. You're the man.

Price matters too. I hope to see continuing trends towards less expensive offerings for people who don't have cushy wallets.

This is working! There's at least one vote for all 12 options. Yet several are already standing out as more important. Please fill out if you haven't already.

I added 'Range' after posting based on @jsmay311's suggestion, and I can't edit existing options, so edit your vote if you want that one.

Autopilot was by far the biggest factor in my purchase, as well as being comfortable, enjoyable to drive/overall performance, and looking nice. Plus HOV lane access.

None of the feel-good zealotry factors like carbon dioxide emissions, fossil fuel reliance, smog, or otherwise changing the world factored in any substantial way.

But in the end without autopilot I wouldn't have paid $25k for the car, let alone twice that.

• Informative
Reactions: Pkmmte
I live in a small city which, because of geographical features, tends to have some of the worst seasonal air quality in the country and particulates from automobiles are a major contributor to that. That was the main reason for going EV, and Tesla was my choice because of range and performance compared to other options. If I couldn't get an M3 in a reasonable time period I'd be going with a Chevy Bolt.

Reactions: KJD and ACPark
I consider performance to be a combination of acceleration, range and handling.

Good point, @Sandiegodoug. I should have also added "e.g." to performance - it's not just about speed. I can't edit the existing choices.

I also would like to add AWD, since there have been hardly any AWD EVs before Tesla and I need AWD for weekly driving steep hills in winter here. But it seems like 12 choices is the max, and I can't edit the existing ones. Still, I think this selection is pretty comprehensive.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Tiger
My biggest one is not on there which is: Never having to go to a gas station again. I never have to wait to get gas. Never have that light come on that I -- again need to go there. Never have to get bothered by increasing gas prices. Never hold that handle to put gas in which many people touched before me. Every morning I wake up and have more than 400 km to my disposal.

Another one is the silence and the fact that you never feel or hear the engine working when going uphill.

Oh yes, another one is that you enter into a nice and warm car due to the preconditioning. That was so nice during the cold winter months.

I'm fascinated by the Tesla equation - would their cars be as coveted if they were mediocre performers? It's not just about climate change - Tesla hit on so many angles. I'd like to know what about Tesla is most important to you owning one (or wanting to own one).

(Anyone know how to conduct a prioritization poll?)

Yes, it's all of the above. Can't pick 3.