Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What is the 'something special' for Roadster owners from Tesla in 2014?

From Elon's hints, what 'pretty cool' thing will Tesla do for Roadsters in 2014?

• Fix for charging bug (80A pilot signal compatibility) *only*.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Fix for charging bug and Adapter to use Model S HPWCs

Votes: 4 4.2%
  • Fix for charging bug, Adapter for Model S HPWCs, and HPWCs at Supercharger sites

Votes: 32 33.3%
  • Improved brakes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Some type of PEM upgrade (e.g., liquid-cooled)

Votes: 6 6.3%
  • Some type of motor upgrade

Votes: 3 3.1%
  • Some type of battery pack upgrade (e.g., using newer cells)

Votes: 38 39.6%
  • Something else entirely

Votes: 11 11.5%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So to be clear: The majority of Roadster owners are well aware that Supercharging capabilities for the Roadster is economically challenging and most are not asking for that.

What most are asking for is simply a 70amp HPC at the Supercharging locations where we can charge our Roadsters.

I want to be clear on this because I see this getting confused from investor meeting Q&A to press questions to here on the forum.

Amen to Boonies's post!

We have been on this since day one. Literally. At the Supercharger Launch Event we hit all the accessible Tesla employees with this request. Engineers seemed optimistic (but mostly because they could see it a possible) and higher ups were crestfallen. They were so excited about the SC news when we hit them with the "What about charging our Roadster's on the side?" question it really took the excitement out of the room. We spent all night trying to get and answer on it. Since then how many Superchargers have been built? Would it have been more than $1K per location to have done it? The idea seems to have slipped into darkness.

I doubt the "cool" thing for 2014 is a battery pack upgrade. Not enough Roadsters have experienced degradation that necessitates an upgrade.
Longer drive distances can be achieved by the 80A fix and the ability to charge at SC stations.

Since then how many Superchargers have been built? Would it have been more than $1K per location to have done it? The idea seems to have slipped into darkness.

All Tesla cars should be made "chargeable" at all Tesla sites. It's a brand thing.

Very odd to say I can 30A charge at nearly any Nissan dealer nearby but not Tesla's own SC network.

I was looking at page 17 showing the spare 60 Amp 3 phase circuit. I was hoping that would be utilized for roadster charging. Apparently, I'm reading the diagram incorrectly.
Yeah, unless they are going to install a step-down transformer there (which I suppose is possible), that 60A circuit is 480/277V, not going to work for L2 charging.

I, too, would like to have charging at Superchargers, but more practical for all of us would be a liquid cooled PEM, or improved brakes. But my guess is that it will be something else, and probably something relatively inexpensive for both Tesla and owners... such as converting the Roadster to keyless ignition, possibly with a fob that shows some data such as SOC, charging status, maybe a locator function for parking lots (when every other car is hiding the Roadster!) Of course, there would have to be an accompanying (vast) betterment of fob range... Or maybe it's something we haven't even guessed at; Elon is a pretty creative guy.

All this talk about what we would like to see but does anyone know when the announcement will be???

I don't think Tesla themselves know what the "something cool" will be, let alone the announcement date!

Keep in mind this started as an off-the-cuff tweet from Elon after he was pestered by a Roadster owner on Twitter. I'm keeping my expectations low. :smile:

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1388773713.795950.jpg

When he mentioned it, Elon sort of played it down a bit, and has commented that he doesn't really see the Roadster as a long-trip car, so I don't think it'd be Supercharging capability.

But it's still a good business outcome to drop legacy technology, and it would be good PR to help Roadster owners with charging so:
- allow Roadster owners to use Model S HPC and fix charging bug
- plus Tesla donates a "destination HPC" for every Roadster owner: contact each owner and ask where they would like the charger to be. Tesla will try to get the destination to accept the free charger.

Would love to see some of the above ideas happen, but could the "pretty cool" thing just be the Roadster showing up in the Tesla mobile app along with the Model S?

It could. Have to admit I thought about having it as an option in the poll, but with those rumors going so far back (and both Tattler and OVMS out there the whole time) it really seemed unlikely. But not impossible.

- - - Updated - - -

... Or maybe it's something we haven't even guessed at; Elon is a pretty creative guy.

Definitely the reason for the last option.

- - - Updated - - -

All this talk about what we would like to see but does anyone know when the announcement will be???

Have seen no info on timing whatsoever. If anyone has a lead please chime in...

- - - Updated - - -

- plus Tesla donates a "destination HPC" for every Roadster owner: contact each owner and ask where they would like the charger to be. Tesla will try to get the destination to accept the free charger.

That's a cool wrinkle I hadn't seen before. Maybe free hardware and complementary install (Solarcity or other)...who could say no to that?

For my purposes, and I suspect a lot of other Roadster owners, a very good thing that could be done would be to encourage or sponsor the addition of 70 or 80 amp. charging stations at decent non-metro-city hotels and restaurants. This would also help Model S owners. Some sort of arrangement with a Hampton Inn, or Holiday Inn Express, or similar chain, in which the charging stations are ideally located in valet or bellhop controlled areas (to keep from being ICE'd), and are reserve-able in advance by any Tesla driver.

Sent a tweet to BoredElonMusk to get his take on this. He might have some good ideas!

Ha - that's great!

I'm sure this is how it's playing out at Tesla:

Elon: hey JB, a couple of months ago I was bored on twitter and promised the Roadster owners something cool. Can you whip something up?

JB: <facepalm> Sure thing Elon, I'll get right on that..

<checks TMC forum to see if we've come up with anything easy and cheap>

I'd say all proposed ideas are doable.

When roadster was the star the story was that when the time comes to replace the batteries there will be cheaper and better batteries available.
Tesla also offered a pay-in-advance-for-a-new-battery-in-7-years plan. Those 7 years will start expiring in 2014 - 2015 time frame hence Tesla is obliged to deliver the product customers have already payed for - a new roadster battery.
It is not a question of if - they have to deliver new batteries because they have already been payed for with a delivery date.

They may choose to use same cells as in 2008 that are half the price now and collect good margins. Such doing would certainly end in negative publicity - what happened to the story of ever better batteries?

I'd bet they will offer a bit larger and a bit lighter pack - using a bit less cells. In this way customers will get a longer range as originally and the cost will be less than a 'full' pack. A bit less weight will also improve performance a bit.

Edit: Heck, they might pull a stunt and use 4000mAh cells. They might not have same power as 3400 cells, but I bet they have at least the power of 2400 cells used in roadster.
Anyone interested in 400 mile pack? :)

Last edited:
I do not thing it will be an improvement to the battery pack as this will be cost prohibitive. The price point will probably be <$25k and I could see it as being a passive cooling improvement to the motor and a LSD. The whole motor could be brought down relatively quickly and easily and replaced with a bolt in unit without that much work. Changing the pack takes much more time and effort and will require major testing for homologation.