Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: What is your long term average wh/mile (minimum 10,000 miles)?

What is your long term trip counter Wh/Mi reading (minimum 10,000 miles travelled)?

• 370 Wh/Mi or greater

• 360 Wh/Mi

• 350 Wh/Mi

• 340 Wh/Mi

• 330 Wh/Mi

• 320 Wh/Mi

• 310 Wh/Mi

• 300 Wh/Mi

• 290 Wh/Mi

• 280 Wh/Mi

• 270 Wh/Mi or less

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it mostly depends how you drive. If you drive the P like you would the non-P, the usage will likely be the same. I know the argument is that the rear motor is less efficient on the P, but if you mostly do highway cruising, that motor is sleeping anyways. We have a P85D and a 75D and on few occasions when we drove together (one car following the other) the Wh/mile was almost identical (within 1%) - all my data was from before the S75D was uncorked, will check next time we need to take 2 cars to go somewhere farther.

If this were true, the rated miles for P models would be the same for non P models. They are not.
It has nothing to do with driving style but rather the overhead of the larger rear motor.
Even at highway cruise speeds the 90D consumes fewer Wh/m than does a P90D.
I had a loaner 90D for a weekend and it was pulling about 30 Wh/m less than my normal ride.

Dec_1_2017_jerry.jpg

If this were true, the rated miles for P models would be the same for non P models.
Not true at all. Not sure how you got to that conclusion. For it to be true the EPA would have mandate the acceleration profile for the test so that each car accelerates at the exact same rate, which means at whatever the slowest car ever made can match. Do you really think in the 0-60mph EPA mandates that the Model S P100D does it in 15 seconds or longer? If not, that means that the P model in the EPA test will accelerate faster than a non-P model, which means it can consume more energy.

If this were true, the rated miles for P models would be the same for non P models. It has nothing to do with driving style but rather the overhead of the larger rear motor.
Even at highway cruise speeds the 90D consumes fewer Wh/m than does a P90D.
I had a loaner 90D for a weekend and it was pulling about 30 Wh/m less than my normal ride.
You were probably accelerating faster. I'm just telling you from experience driving S75D and P85D convoy style, they damn near match Wh/mile - how close, let's see, I actually wrote it down when we first got the new car (or was a S60D at the time) and for example on a 54.2 mile trip, S60D averaged 317Wh/m and P85D averaged 320Wh/m.

PS> Another anecdotal data point: our S75D actually has a higher rated range than P85D. When we leave home S75D has between 5 and 10 more rated miles showing (they both charge to 90%). We drive together and when we get home, S75D somehow has less rated miles left showing than the P85D. So S75D seems to burn rated miles faster than P85D (notice I said rated miles, not energy).

You don't think it's what you do? Driving 80 mph is not the same as driving 50, power-usage-wise. And I live in a 30 mile long, 50 mph valley, and going "over the hill to town" it's 40 mph much of the way. I get excellent wh/mi there. But hitting the fwy, doing 80-90 to Sacramento, it eats them watts. I can see that some people who race motorcycles every chance they get will have a higher consumption (I do that, too). Nothing to do with P or D or battery size.

Should be a button to see the results without voting...

Might try a different device. Not all features are available on a phone.

I'm working on an iMac, not a phone, and at the bottoms of the poll area is the message:
Your vote will be publicly visible.

I'm fairly certain this is a design "feature" of the web site, not a deficiency in my web client.

I'm working on an iMac, not a phone, and at the bottoms of the poll area is the message:
Your vote will be publicly visible.

I'm fairly certain this is a design "feature" of the web site, not a deficiency in my web client.
I get a completely different look even using the same browser on the same operating system on two different PC's.

I went and searched for ""poll" and at every one that I had not voted in, there were two buttons -- "Cast Your Vote" and "View Results".

I think it mostly depends how you drive. If you drive the P like you would the non-P, the usage will likely be the same. I know the argument is that the rear motor is less efficient on the P, but if you mostly do highway cruising, that motor is sleeping anyways. We have a P85D and a 75D and on few occasions when we drove together (one car following the other) the Wh/mile was almost identical (within 1%) - all my data was from before the S75D was uncorked, will check next time we need to take 2 cars to go somewhere farther.

That was what I expected too but right from the start I saw much higher power usage. I found the settings page on my P100D and looked up my lifetime stats. At ~5k, I'm at 423 Wh/Mi. I saw much better with my P85 - somewhere in the mid to low 300's IIRC. My driving isn't that much different with the P100D... :p

That was what I expected too but right from the start I saw much higher power usage. I found the settings page on my P100D and looked up my lifetime stats. At ~5k, I'm at 423 Wh/Mi. I saw much better with my P85 - somewhere in the mid to low 300's IIRC. My driving isn't that much different with the P100D... :p
P100D accelerates much faster if your "not much different" driving style is "pedal to the metal" ;)

We've been pleasantly surprised about the improved energy usage of our S 100D vs. our "classic" S P85, averaging 306 Wh/mi over 14,000 miles. With this average, the trip planner is much closer to predicting energy usage on road trips. With the P85, it was always underestimating energy usage - by a lot.