Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What will your Model 3 cost?

My Model 3 will cost.... (select the largest value that applies)

• $35k

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • <=$36.5k

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • <=$38k

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • <=$40k

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • <=$42k

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • <=$44k

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • <=$46k

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • <=$49k

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • <=$52k

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • <=$56k

Votes: 40 20.1%
  • <=$60k

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • > $60k

Votes: 23 11.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

KarenRei

ᴉǝɹuǝɹɐʞ
Jul 18, 2017
Iceland
The question about what colour and wheels people plan to get got me curious as to how much Musk's estimate about what the average buyer will spend on the M3 matches up to people on the forum (he originally said $43k, now is saying $45k). So, vote away! What do you think you'll be spending? Don't factor in any tax credits, taxes, fees, etc. If you're wavering about something, just factor in half its price. A reminder of the price list:

Baseline: $35k
Long range: $9k
Metallic paint: $1k
19" wheels: $1,5k
PUP: $5k
Autopilot: $5k
FSD: $3k
Dual motor: TBD. We've been told that it will be cheaper than on the S (where it costs ~$5k)
Performance: TBD, and unknown when it will come up as an option. It probably won't be cheap.
Other (accessories, etc): If you think something else will be available and you want it, factor it in.

Non-US buyers: Just go with US pricing for now. We know Tesla will charge us more in practice :Þ

$1000 destination/doc fee or whatever makes the minimum $36k

Hmm, do you think Musk is including that when he discusses their average expected sales prices?

(If they're going to charge me a destination and doc fee I better not need to go pick it up from Denmark or the Netherlands... because that's not the "destination". If you're charging me to get the car to my destination, then it better actually get there! ;) )

Hmm, do you think Musk is including that when he discusses their average expected sales prices?

(If they're going to charge me a destination and doc fee I better not need to go pick it up from Denmark or the Netherlands... because that's not the "destination". If you're charging me to get the car to my destination, then it better actually get there! ;) )
I honestly think his quote was before pricing was determined.

Base + Paint + EAP
35k + 1k + 5k + 1k fee = $42k sale price

I was surprised by the recent EAP/FSD poll.

There will be a large number with higher sale prices including the premium upgrades and longer range. I think the average will be much higher than $42k but we'll see.

I honestly think his quote was before pricing was determined.

$43k might have been, but $45k wasn't. His upgraded pricing estimate was, if I remember right, from this week.

Interesting to see four $60k plus estimates, and lots that are in the $50s.. I should have adjusted the scale to go higher (you're limited in the number of poll options you can offer, so there's a balance between how high you can make the numbers vs. how wide of a price range each choice represents). So far it's looking like even Elon's revised $45k estimate might be an underestimate.

Heh, Tesla's fault for making a lot of tempting options ;) Of course, that's pretty typical for midrange cars. Offer a great car as base to get potential buyers interested, but then tempt them with a dozen different cool things to boost the final sale price. You don't have to get the options... but they make you want them ;)

Car + LR battery + paint + PUP
35k + 9K + 1k + 5k = $50k sale price

Waffling on the wheels. Delivery/doc fee is offset by my deposit they have already?

Should be.

For me:
$35k + dual motor (assuming $4k) + waffling on PUP ($5k/2) = $41,5k. Maybe a CHAdeMO adapter on top of that, unless Tesla makes the European version support CCS (or better, builds some superchargers here!). Of course, I know that in practice my prices will be inflated - their non-US prices always are. At least I don't have to pay VAT or vörugjald - VAT's 24% (~$10k) and vörugjald on cars (depends on CO2 emissions) can be as high as 65%. :)

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: aronth5
....can't......resist......LR.......range.......310mi.......and........faster.....too.
>WISK<
Sound of the Tesla vacuum sucking money out of my wallet that I didn't even know was available for a car purchase.

Going for LR with PUP, EAP, and anti-black paint. Puts me at $20K worth of "options" which is a lot more than I wanted, but I decided to give Tesla most of my rebate and EV savings instead of keeping them to myself in exchange for an even more amazing car. Not a logical choice, pure passion.

I find these results very interesting. It seems like the average person on the forum is expecting to pay around 50k, maybe even more, before taxes, deductions, fees, etc.

Either this forum's members are more prone to choosing options than the average M3 buyer, or even Musk's revised estimate is low and Tesla's revenue in 2018 is going to solidly beat expectations.

(Honestly, I'm guessing that it's probably more the former than the latter... because we have all of these long-time S and X people here, not just new Tesla buyers which make up the vast majority of the list - people that are likelier to have more assets to dedicate to a car purchase. Nonetheless... )