Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: What will your Model 3 cost?

My Model 3 will cost.... (select the largest value that applies)

• $35k

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • <=$36.5k

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • <=$38k

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • <=$40k

Votes: 4 2.0%
  • <=$42k

Votes: 11 5.5%
  • <=$44k

Votes: 9 4.5%
  • <=$46k

Votes: 23 11.6%
  • <=$49k

Votes: 14 7.0%
  • <=$52k

Votes: 36 18.1%
  • <=$56k

Votes: 40 20.1%
  • <=$60k

Votes: 26 13.1%
  • > $60k

Votes: 23 11.6%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
people that are likelier to have more assets to dedicate to a car purchase.
I personally don't and will be financing a large portion of the purchase. I have a steady income at the moment so I think I'm in a decent place.

I look at it this way. I usually buy a used car around ~$12k and end up putting over $500 per year into the car for maintenance on average. Over a five year span I'll likely get one set of tires and likely I'd spend $500 more on gas than would on electricity per year. I usually only keep the car around five years because it's usually 10+ years old.

So, for a car like my used 2007 Toyota Prius the total in five years from purchase, for me personally, would be around $18-20k give or take. Now this is slow as dirt, textile seats, plastic interior, and one of the most horribly unsafe traction control/ABS mechanisms I've ever experienced.

In ten years, if I had two of such vehicles that'd run $40k. If I purchased them new that'd be $60k over ten years for a plastically, slow, potentially deadly Toyota Prius (although they later fixed that traction control issue). Getting a new car would be wonderful, I've never purchased a new car before. I figure, if I keep a Model 3 over the course of 10 years, I get all the bells, whistles, and even more cowbell compared to a fairly ugly Toyota Prius with practically none of the features and for a similar price. Granted, we don't know what Tesla service pricing is going to be for Model 3, hopefully less than it is for the S.

In addition, if I got into an accident would I be safer and pay potentially fewer medical bills in a Toyota Prius or a Tesla Model 3? Plus there's the priceless fun factor.

For me, this more than justifies the price. But, make no mistake, the price scares the crap out of me as it will be one of my largest purchases in my life besides my house. :eek:

Reactions: erthquake
35k base + 5K PUP + 1.5k Wheels = 41.5K and what I believe to be best bang for your buck so long as EAP isn't a deal breaker. For me, I'm young and coming from driving a 450HP Camaro. I think Im going to want to drive this sweet model 3 around on my own for a while. The car is getting glowing reviews for its handling and acceleration - it would be a shame to let a computer do all that driving for me! Ill add EAP when I have kids 3-5 years down the road and need some safety and convenience features for peace of mind.

TLDR; yeah the $1500 for upgraded Tesla wheels seems steep, but when considering the argument below it is the easiest choice with the highest upside.

PS - I have been a huge fan of aftermarket wheels for as long as I can remember, I have custom Avant Gardes on my Camaro right now- but I have a word of advice for the people fighting with the wheel upgrade decision or not. Ive done a ton of research for aftermarket wheels for the model 3 given the specs we know for the 19" wheels. Ive reached out to Avant Garde, Vossen, TSW, etc about pricing or potential sponsorships and I have come to a conclusion. Yes, you could get some awesome wheels aftermarket in the $1,300 - $2,000 range. HOWEVER - you would also have to factor in the cost of buying high quality 19" tires (as the stock aeros come with 18" tires and would not work). My quotes for these tires are between $750-$1200 depending on sales at the time, quality, brands, etc. Im also going to assume if you're spending $40,000+ on a car, you're going to buy premium aftermarket wheels and tires (which is why I included the brands and prices shown above). All in all, this means you would likely be looking at EITHER $1500 for the sweet Tesla wheel upgrade WITH high quality 19" tires from the factory. OR you would be looking at between $2,050 - $3200 for mid/high tier aftermarket wheel/tire combination (the spare set of aero wheels is an added bonus and with tires could likely net you $1000 sold 3rd party here on the TMC forum). Also to be considered - I believe Tesla wheels would carry a warranty against pothole damage, factory defects, etc. Buying aftermarket means you now have the added hassle of dealing with another company's warranty department for the life of your car. Just some food for thought as this was the rationale used to make my decision.

• Helpful
Reactions: Lunarx
This is interesting to me more than many I suppose because I had expected to pay around $100,000 figuring Tesla would match a fully loaded BMW M3, more or less, for the equivalent Model 3. As it is I expect to end out at $75,000 or so because of the stated intention to ahem M3 AWD chapter than it has been for S. What remains to be seen is what P will cost. Still, unless I get impatient and take one of the early RWD ones, thus saving ~$15,000 or more, it really seems to be a fair amount below typical M3 higher levels. Of course discounts are often available for the BMW's, not so for M3.

Gentlepeople, I think Tesla is giving us a bargain! These are really high value vehicles at a a fairly cheap price. That and they promised "S" level Gross margins.:D

....can't......resist......LR.......range.......310mi.......and........faster.....too.
>WISK<
Sound of the Tesla vacuum sucking money out of my wallet that I didn't even know was available for a car purchase.

Going for LR with PUP, EAP, and anti-black paint. Puts me at $20K worth of "options" which is a lot more than I wanted, but I decided to give Tesla most of my rebate and EV savings instead of keeping them to myself in exchange for an even more amazing car. Not a logical choice, pure passion.

Yep, I changed my mind again. I'm with you now ....I am leaving the self-imposed budget behind. I want the car!
First production run + EAP + non-black

This is interesting to me more than many I suppose because I had expected to pay around $100,000 figuring Tesla would match a fully loaded BMW M3, more or less, for the equivalent Model 3. As it is I expect to end out at $75,000 or so because of the stated intention to ahem M3 AWD chapter than it has been for S. What remains to be seen is what P will cost. Still, unless I get impatient and take one of the early RWD ones, thus saving ~$15,000 or more, it really seems to be a fair amount below typical M3 higher levels. Of course discounts are often available for the BMW's, not so for M3.

Gentlepeople, I think Tesla is giving us a bargain! These are really high value vehicles at a a fairly cheap price. That and they promised "S" level Gross margins.:D

Hmm... you could always make a second reservation now (if you haven't already), get an early model, then sell it when your other number comes up later. Since M3 is supply constrained and will be for a while (just imagine the new orders once people can start test driving M3s), I'd expect depreciation to be limited.

• Helpful
Reactions: Brando
Man oh man... I don't friggin know what I'll do when my time comes to place an order. I've been analyzing this every which way.

I could see myself going as low as $37,000 or as high as $56,000. Or I could punt and not place an order at all.

I'd prefer not to miss out on any of the tax credit, but I'd also really prefer to wait until a sunroof and heated steering wheel were available if those options were going to be made available down the road.

I wish Tesla would explicitly tell us what plans there are (or aren't) for offering those options in the future. But something tells me that's not going to happen.

I hope by next year the Cold Weather Package will be separated from the PUP. Being from Montréal this is a must-have but I couldn't care less about the luxury upgrade.

So sadly for now it's: LR+PUP+EAP = $54K which at current rate gives a whooping $68.5K CAD :eek:

It appears that white vegan interior will be part of the PUP option later this year. So you will have two choices for PUP interior - black or white. I am hoping that there will be two base exterior color choices sometime in the future, - black and non-metallic white.

I was glad to hear that the white interior will be this year. It will be a bonus if there is not a premium on it and the wood dash piece is replaced with a white strip.

I hope by next year the Cold Weather Package will be separated from the PUP. Being from Montréal this is a must-have but I couldn't care less about the luxury upgrade.

So sadly for now it's: LR+PUP+EAP = $54K which at current rate gives a whooping $68.5K CAD :eek:

From Montreal and you'd rather have a heated steering wheel (on a car that you can preheat, and appears to come with heated front seats standard) than dual motor? Heh, to each their own :)

From Montreal and you'd rather have a heated steering wheel (on a car that you can preheat, and appears to come with heated front seats standard) than dual motor? Heh, to each their own :)

Actually from my experience it's better to have very good winter tires than AWD. Obviously better to have both if money is not a problem :) If the price is reasonable I'll add that option.

Preheat is nice but if you aren't plugged in at the time it will eat a lot of your kWh...

Anyway by "Late 2018" as My Tesla page tells me, I'm pretty sure there will be many changes in the option list :)

Reactions: KarenRei
41k (at least up front).

Base Range + PUP + Paint. The aero wheels have grown on me especially since I plan on getting midnight silver metallic and the aero wheels match better when I see photos than I thought they would. Not worth it. Friend of mine has a Model S 60 and is able to go places I would intend to go to with no problem, so I don't see too much of the need for the extra range, especially since there is already a supercharger in Topeka and one slated to be put in Emporia next year. The vast majority of my driving is around town anyways, and I have level 2 charging at work.

I'll get the EAP with my bonus in 2018 or 2019. I'll then wait until FSD is more the norm. I don't see paying potentially 2k extra at a later date as too much of a ding.