Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: Whats your daily charge max level?

Whats your daily charge level?

• 55-60%

Votes: 3 2.5%
  • 65-70%

Votes: 7 5.9%
  • 75-80%

Votes: 59 49.6%
  • 85-90%

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • 95-100%

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm looking for advice. My car arrives on Monday. I rarely drive more than 60 miles a day, so range will not be an issue most of the time. Is there any advantage to charging to less than 90%? I'm leaning towards charging each night so I'm less likely to forget. My understanding is that I'll lose some energy and it'll cause the battery to degrade somewhat faster. Can anyone quantify the phantom loses at 90, 70 and 50% capacity? My guess is that given my low mileage, battery life is unlikely to be a problem for me. Comments?

I'm looking for advice. My car arrives on Monday. I rarely drive more than 60 miles a day, so range will not be an issue most of the time. Is there any advantage to charging to less than 90%? I'm leaning towards charging each night so I'm less likely to forget. My understanding is that I'll lose some energy and it'll cause the battery to degrade somewhat faster. Can anyone quantify the phantom loses at 90, 70 and 50% capacity? My guess is that given my low mileage, battery life is unlikely to be a problem for me. Comments?

My daily situation is near identical to yours. After a few months of ownership and many months of forum research I have decided that daily charging to around 75% is ideal for 50ish mile per day of driving. Tesla says to plug the car in when not in use so there's that. From the poll results I'm guessing most folks have a near identical daily situation to you and me.

Vampire drain is unchanged regardless of what SOC you set it at. You're supposed to plug in every night if you can, and let the battery management system manage the battery. Don't worry about it. There is no practical advantage to setting SOC below 90%, unless theoretically if you plan to measure your car ownership in decades rather than years. Lots of threads on this topic if you're interested, especially with regard to Model S which now has almost 6 year history where 90% has been just fine.

Here's my story... ignore it if you like.

Got 3 AWD in August, left it at 90% charging for a month or something when it was consistently producing 278-279 levels. Then there was a firmware update and within a week that 90% dropped to 269-270. I didn't really need the charge, so I dropped to 80% as a target. After a while, I increased it back to 85%, and now I've had it at 90% since Friday. Somewhat surprisingly, 90% on Friday was back to 276, and this evening it was 277. I realize these are only estimates, but if it comes anywhere near reality that I've lost only two miles of range in 7000 miles, I'm cool with that, especially considering range drops are generally accepted as greater in the early stage of the battery.