Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - When do you believe park assist will be available again?

When do you think park assist software update for Tesla Vision will be rolled out?

• Before end of year

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • January

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Q1 - ´23

Votes: 60 20.1%
  • Q2 - ´23

Votes: 70 23.4%
  • Q3 - ´23

Votes: 46 15.4%
  • Q4 - ´23

Votes: 101 33.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This really was a mistake, months before the software was ready, who thought that was a good idea?? Now I have this very valuable thing with a very high risk of damaging it.

Reversing is ok with the cameras, its that front corner that I feel will get scraped before the software is released :(

Honestly though, I have the sensors, and I really don't use them. Just habit from driving 30 different cars over 40 years, mostly in cities where the only parking is parallel, I guess I just learn what the limits are and just go.

I've parked the Y in spots with 8 inches to spare in downtown Seattle. Took a few tries the first time, but got it done. Never looked at the sensors. Back up camera, yeah, helps a lot. All you really need.

Reactions: Mullermn
Honestly though, I have the sensors, and I really don't use them. Just habit from driving 30 different cars over 40 years, mostly in cities where the only parking is parallel, I guess I just learn what the limits are and just go.

I've parked the Y in spots with 8 inches to spare in downtown Seattle. Took a few tries the first time, but got it done. Never looked at the sensors. Back up camera, yeah, helps a lot. All you really need.
Try reverse parking into an unlit car port from an angle in the dark when it is raining outside.......

Reactions: Flummox
Try reverse parking into an unlit car port from an angle in the dark when it is raining outside.......
God no, that sounds very difficult and I'd definitely crash 🙃

Sorry, my last post was a bit scathing. Pre coffee.

I am 100% on your side that Tesla should not have put you (or me for that matter) in this position in the first place. If we don't get a TV replacement with or shortly after the next major release and if it is not at least comparable to the USS parking then I will be very irritated.

Reactions: My2cents
The problem is that there are no front cameras below the hood. That means the car can’t “see” objects low to the ground once that object drops out of view of the cameras. Tesla needs to write software that extrapolates where those objects may be when they are no longer visible to the camera. I’m sure doing this down to the inch (like USS did) isn’t easy.
I have a feeling it may be a long wait…
Totally agree, I wish they had waited to take out sensors until the software was ready - irresponsible

God no, that sounds very difficult and I'd definitely crash 🙃

Sorry, my last post was a bit scathing. Pre coffee.

I am 100% on your side that Tesla should not have put you (or me for that matter) in this position in the first place. If we don't get a TV replacement with or shortly after the next major release and if it is not at least comparable to the USS parking then I will be very irritated.
I'm beyond irritated wish I had been more savvy and figured it out before I bought the car. Tesla has really opened the door for other EV's to take the market by storm

Well, I already scraped my 2023 MY in a tight parking spot so where's the "too late" option? Still pissed that I wasn't informed during purchase that my car would "temporarily" not have parking sensors. $6k for nothing

(I've never had a parking lot incident in over 300k lifetime miles of driving, at least 50 different cars of different sizes)
Well aren't you lucky, I happen to have had 3 in my lifetime and thought the Tesla was the answer only to find out I got scammed.

Reactions: Zedbox and CWT3LR
Well, I already scraped my 2023 MY in a tight parking spot so where's the "too late" option? Still pissed that I wasn't informed during purchase that my car would "temporarily" not have parking sensors. $6k for nothing

(I've never had a parking lot incident in over 300k lifetime miles of driving, at least 50 different cars of different sizes)
+1
I don't understand why more FY23 owners are more pissed about the lack of parking assist. I'm a pretty mellow guy, but this decision on the part of Tesla has my blood boiling. I would tell any new potential Tesla buyer to run like the wind. A definite DO NOT BUY recommendation from me.

I pray that some hungry lawyer owns an FY23 and shares my sentiments and goes for a class action suit.

+1
I don't understand why more FY23 owners are more pissed about the lack of parking assist. I'm a pretty mellow guy, but this decision on the part of Tesla has my blood boiling. I would tell any new potential Tesla buyer to run like the wind. A definite DO NOT BUY recommendation from me.

I pray that some hungry lawyer owns an FY23 and shares my sentiments and goes for a class action suit.
I'm too lazy to find and link to them but the boards are full of people who are very angry about the missing USS.

USS was able to see "through" the sensors even if they were slightly dirty.... It will be interesting to see how the rear camera in example will see through this type of water obstruction (and it was not raining at the time, so this is spray after driving on wet road). Perhaps it will use the side cameras combined with "remembering" how the area was when driving in it?

View attachment 892916
Needs mini windshield wiper. Simple, could run off nearby power.

I do not understand what kind of data Tesla still need to collect to write/optimize the algorithms for this.
They have a lot on data of camera’s and sensor data combinations, the camera only cars will not bring anything new.
With this in mind I think it is just bandwidth of the programmers and with the mentality to spend as less money as possible I am afraid this will take months….
Still waiting for my Tesla S in Switzerland but the con’s are growing by the days….
I think the vision algorithyms work for parking, just not as well as ultrasound as per their statement. I think a crucial production decision had to be made last year at the height of the supply chain woes to either experience some delays due to ultrasound chip shortage or go with the vision system very close to prime-time release. This would have been a Musk level decision and I bet he was distracted with Twitter, did not think this through enough and nobody could push back. Now add on the "recall" of FSD where the vision algorithm integrity is being seriously questioned and this is a major screw up for Tesla. How many people have already scratched their new Tesla's bumping into walls and shelves in their garages? Glad I got the $13K price cut (perhaps another Musk-level screw up?) and will wait patiently for this riduculously basic feature to be added back to my brand new $53K car.