Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - When do you believe park assist will be available again?

When do you think park assist software update for Tesla Vision will be rolled out?

• Before end of year

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • January

Votes: 11 3.7%
  • Q1 - ´23

Votes: 60 20.1%
  • Q2 - ´23

Votes: 70 23.4%
  • Q3 - ´23

Votes: 46 15.4%
  • Q4 - ´23

Votes: 101 33.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I do not understand what kind of data Tesla still need to collect to write/optimize the algorithms for this.
They have a lot on data of camera’s and sensor data combinations, the camera only cars will not bring anything new.
With this in mind I think it is just bandwidth of the programmers and with the mentality to spend as less money as possible I am afraid this will take months….
Still waiting for my Tesla S in Switzerland but the con’s are growing by the days….

I think there's a fundamental problem with any engineer willing to sign off on "validation complete" with putting a discreet number like "14 in" on the screen, when there are so many ways it could be wrong.

With a USS, you can hang your hat on a known value plus error factor. With vision, you just have to hope you tried everything, but you know that's impossible. There's always a new scenario, low light or whatever that you have to put a big disclaimer on, making it crazy to solve.

I think it will be faster and easier just to add the sensors back, do a retrofit, send out jigs to drill the holes in the bumpers.

I do not understand what kind of data Tesla still need to collect to write/optimize the algorithms for this.
They have a lot on data of camera’s and sensor data combinations, the camera only cars will not bring anything new.
With this in mind I think it is just bandwidth of the programmers and with the mentality to spend as less money as possible I am afraid this will take months….
Still waiting for my Tesla S in Switzerland but the con’s are growing by the days….
The problem is that there are no front cameras below the hood. That means the car can’t “see” objects low to the ground once that object drops out of view of the cameras. Tesla needs to write software that extrapolates where those objects may be when they are no longer visible to the camera. I’m sure doing this down to the inch (like USS did) isn’t easy.
I have a feeling it may be a long wait…

too much time on Tesla blogs can lead to mental breakdowns. ignore.

The problem is that there are no front cameras below the hood. That means the car can’t “see” objects low to the ground once that object drops out of view of the cameras. Tesla needs to write software that extrapolates where those objects may be when they are no longer visible to the camera. I’m sure doing this down to the inch (like USS did) isn’t easy.
I have a feeling it may be a long wait…
I don't think its that bad. see image below. they just need to know how far they can see. they know how much a wheel spin is in feet (so you do need to update your wheel size). so once it disappears from camera they just need to count 3 ft from tires.

but if they don't trust their visuals, then they have a problem.

1672947374041.png

Reactions: MidBaz
This works for a flat wall, but is still a problem for thing like a work bench or a bucket at the corner. Tesla screwed up by removing USS and is tap-dancing around a fix instead of just admitting a mistake. Typical ready, fire, aim by Elon.
Unless the bucket or bench is moving, once the car has located the object, it can remember its location. If the object is moving, then you stop the car when you can no longer see it just like you do when you are manually driving a car with no USS.

Unless the bucket or bench is moving, once the car has located the object, it can remember its location. If the object is moving, then you stop the car when you can no longer see it just like you do when you are manually driving a car with no USS.

Maybe, we will have to see how well it can create a 3-dimensional world in front of the car. In any case, removing USS was just foolish.

USS was able to see "through" the sensors even if they were slightly dirty.... It will be interesting to see how the rear camera in example will see through this type of water obstruction (and it was not raining at the time, so this is spray after driving on wet road). Perhaps it will use the side cameras combined with "remembering" how the area was when driving in it?

3.jpg

Well, I already scraped my 2023 MY in a tight parking spot so where's the "too late" option? Still pissed that I wasn't informed during purchase that my car would "temporarily" not have parking sensors. $6k for nothing

(I've never had a parking lot incident in over 300k lifetime miles of driving, at least 50 different cars of different sizes)

• Informative
  • Helpful
Reactions: DL_Mike and OxBrew
USS was able to see "through" the sensors even if they were slightly dirty.... It will be interesting to see how the rear camera in example will see through this type of water obstruction (and it was not raining at the time, so this is spray after driving on wet road). Perhaps it will use the side cameras combined with "remembering" how the area was when driving in it?

View attachment 892916
I just placed an order for this. Hope it solves the rear view camera water drop issue:

Reactions: My2cents
They will get this to work when they get FSD to work.
Depending on what you mean by ‘work’ that might be a bit pessimistic. FSD doesn’t have to be a perfect ‘level 5’ robotaxi for this stuff to work, it just needs the new (beta-level) stack to be declared good enough to replace the main stack.

Who knows when that will happen, but it will certainly be long before FSD is finished.

Kind of what I meant.…never… Although they will pronounce victory and move on, when it really has never worked well enough to be practical. I can see people taking your parking space as the Tesla checks everything and does the hokie pokie. Give me 40 acres and I can park this thing.

Reactions: CWT3LR