Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: When is the next Tesla price drop?

When will the next Tesla price drop happen?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I still believe that a SRish Model Y will come back to the configurator as Austin, TX Gigafactory ramps up and think that just plopping a Model Y on the site with a noticeably lower base price counts as a price drop and I expect that soon so I said 3 months on the poll.

I don't care if they call it "Model Y", "Model Y AWD", "Model Y SR+ AWD" or any variation on that. I don't care if it's 200 mile range or 225 or 250 or 275 or anywhere in between. I'm just looking for it to be on the menu and noticeably cheaper than the LR Model Y.

Reactions: DanCar
Is it reasonable to think that inventory alone could also be used as an indicator of backlog? Because production > orders is vehicles going into inventory, let me know if I’m wrong here.

Let’s break it down by model, with consideration that it’s still early after the price cuts
  • S - Inventory declined, now looks to be stabilizing
  • X - Inventory declined hard, now heading up
  • 3 - Inventory declined hard and continues declining although at a slower rate
  • Y - Inventory declined hard, now looks to be stabilizing

There are two main forecasting factors here that I can think of at the moment:
  1. If you listen to the Fed, interest rates are still heading up likely at 0.25% increments and then will be held for some period of time after they peak.
    • Maybe this is too hawkish? Maybe the market is right and rate cuts happen sooner than the Fed claims.
  2. The IRA credit, applicable only to the 3 and Y right now, will likely be reduced from $7500 in many cases after March.
    • Maybe the guidance is more beneficial and the $7500 credit continues to be garnered across a high number of 3s and Ys.
If rates stay high and the Treasury guidance does reduce the credit, I can see more price cuts coming in the near future. It might end up being a hodgepodge between the models. S and X are still not moving enough, and the Y LR might get a $3750-7500 discount (rather than MSRP reduction) if the IRA credit is cut in half or reduced to zero.

Right now I think the 3 probably doesn’t need anything further, based on what we’re seeing so far.

This all needs to be combined with the knowledge that production continues increasing and those vehicles need to move.

Reactions: DanCar
Inventory slowly rising.
1674351976372.png

Attachments

• 1674351845656.png
    1674351845656.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 116
  • 1674351866879.png
    1674351866879.png
    136.7 KB · Views: 40
Mostly tells us what we know, that price cuts are affecting entire car industry.
Excerpts:
Stanly Tran, a 32-year-old California psychotherapist had been on the waiting list for a Ford Mustang Mach-E electric SUV, but quickly ditched his reservation and purchased a Model Y after a friend alerted him to the price drop. “‘There’s no way,’” Mr. Tran recalls thinking when he saw Tesla’s new prices. The Model Y offered more battery range at a competitive price to the Mach-E, he said.

Traditional auto makers, which don’t have the EV scale of Tesla, have thin profit margins or lose money on their plug-in models, Bank of America analyst John Murphy said.

The Model Y was the second-most-researched vehicle on Edmunds’ website for the week ended Jan. 15, up from 70th the week prior. The Model 3 moved up 36 spots. Soon after the price cut, applications for financing of Tesla vehicles tripled at Tenet, a New York startup firm that provides financing to EV buyers. The influx of customers has remained elevated, Tenet Chief Executive Alex Liegl said.

U.S. treasury revises rules and now Model Y 5 seater is eligible for $7,500. One could theorize that this might make Tesla more interested in a price hike.
The Treasury said the revised definition will apply to EV purchases since Jan. 1.

I still believe that a SRish Model Y will come back to the configurator as Austin, TX Gigafactory ramps up and think that just plopping a Model Y on the site with a noticeably lower base price counts as a price drop and I expect that soon so I said 3 months on the poll.

I don't care if they call it "Model Y", "Model Y AWD", "Model Y SR+ AWD" or any variation on that. I don't care if it's 200 mile range or 225 or 250 or 275 or anywhere in between. I'm just looking for it to be on the menu and noticeably cheaper than the LR Model Y.
It happened and it happened before 3 months was up.

1680903475321.png

No advertising to keep prices affordable.
Tesla does not consider advertising to help keep prices high.

That's not accurate.
Tesla has been advertising in China and Europe, regularly.

Until recently, it didn't have to do so in North America.
Now that Supply >> Demand in the US, price cuts and traditional marketing campaigns are all but inevitable.

a

Reactions: kopo
If we overly price cuts on above chart we see what is obvious. Everytime inventory goes high, price cuts follow. And the converse is likely true, everytime there is no inventory price increases occur.

This is interesting. Can you point me to a Europe or China ad by Tesla?