Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

POLL: When will Tesla pass VW to become the 2nd most valuable auto manufacturer?

When will TSLA ctach VW (VOW) in market cap?

• 2020-Jan-10 (<3 days)

• 2020-Jan-14 (1 week)

• 2020-Jan-21 (2 weeks)

• 2020-Jan-28 (3 weeks)

• 2020-Feb (1 month)

• 2020-Apr (3 months)

• 2020 (1 year)

• Not in the foreseeable future (never)

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been blown away by the rapid rise in Tesla's market capitalization since June 1, 2018, especially in comparison to the other global auto manufacturers. I have posted regular updates in this forum.

As of today Jan 7th, Tesla (TSLA) is worth $84.7 B. VW (VOW), the second most valuable auto manufacturer, is worth $87.6 B, only $3.1 B (3.5%) more.

Back in June, Tesla was worth $39 B less than VW and was at most the 8th most valuable auto manufacturer. Today, they are third. When will Tesla become the second most valuable auto manufacturer?

upload_2020-1-7_14-39-9.png

Last edited:
Is that $87.6 B VW market cap in Euro? From iPhone Stocks app, VWAGY has 97.09 at close of Tue.

I use the GOOGLEFINANCE() function [ =GOOGLEFINANCE("VOW","marketcap") ]. I assume by default it returns in $US, not the source currency Euros, nor $CA since I'm in Canada. The live Google function aligns with the posted marketcap:

upload_2020-1-8_9-10-40.png

Attachments

• upload_2020-1-8_9-7-45.png
    upload_2020-1-8_9-7-45.png
    33.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Informative
Reactions: dauger and ggr
I believe all figures are returned in the same currency, and that's EUR for VOW. Try =GOOGLEFINANCE("VOW","currency") - I believe that will spit out EUR.

(I just changed my vote in light of that.)

Whoops.

Thanks so much for pushing me on this, @bhtooefr . I've been calculating wrong all this time, even though I knew that the German quotes were coming from Stuttgart. So my chart's have been off ~11% for VW, Daimler, and BMW all along. :confused: I'm going to have to post a retraction in the main thread. :(

So Tesla HAS already passed Volkswagen to become the second most valuable auto manufacturer. I estimate this took place on the 19th of December.

upload_2020-1-8_13-12-14.png

FYI I've updated my spreadsheet to include the EURUSD exchange rate of the given day:

upload_2020-1-8_13-14-10.png

n.b. I routinely use a ISFORMULA() conditional format to grey-out / avoid cells with formulas.

Last edited:
Reactions: RabidYak
I think you did the EUR->USD conversion backwards - 1 EUR is 1.11 USD. Which means Volkswagen is worth more, not less, in USD, than you had them originally.

I think you're right. Grr. Will re-re-update later today.

Thanks.

PS I notice the sweet Miata in your avatar, @bhtooefr . I sold my cherished 2007 Miata last fall (also had a 1990 model years ago) - I just couldn't justify owning two fun cars to drive and got rid of the one that spews carbon! :)

upload_2020-1-9_10-3-37.png

Reactions: MichaelP90DL
I think you're right. Grr. Will re-re-update later today.

Thanks.

PS I notice the sweet Miata in your avatar, @bhtooefr . I sold my cherished 2007 Miata last fall (also had a 1990 model years ago) - I just couldn't justify owning two fun cars to drive and got rid of the one that spews carbon! :)

View attachment 498225
I've always thought the Miata was a sexy little car. :)

Thanks to @bhtooefr , it's clear I messed up again on the currency conversion of the German makers. So the facts are as follows (yikes, I hope I'm right this time!):
  • VW: US$100.2 B
  • Tesla: US$86.6 B
  • Gap between 3rd and 2nd: US$13.4 B (15.5%)
  • Comparison to US manufacturers stay as previously posted, i.e. Tesla now more valuable than GM and Ford together
So feel free to change your vote!

Sorry for the error, all.

upload_2020-1-9_23-55-21.png

Reactions: bhtooefr
So last week I screwed up on the conversion for shares traded in Euros (VW, Daimler and BMW - see corrections above). It made the timeline for this post way too optimistic.

... or did it?

With Tesla rising another 10% so far today, the race is back on. TSLA is "only" US$8.8 B (9%) away from passing VW as the second most valuable auto manufacturer stock:

upload_2020-1-13_15-52-5.png

Care to update your vote on when TSLA will pass VOW?