Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll: When Will The First Tesla Robo-taxi Hit The Roads?

When will the first Tesla robo-taxi hit the roads?

• 2019 or 2020

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • 2021 or 2022

Votes: 11 25.0%
  • between 2023 and 2030

Votes: 19 43.2%
  • not for a very long time!

Votes: 6 13.6%
  • never!

Votes: 1 2.3%
  • impossible to say

Votes: 1 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What year do you think the first robo-taxi will be approved by regulators and on the roads?

I thought someone requested during the annual shareholder meeting that Tesla should implement human-supervised robo-taxi first (the same current way that Autopilot must have an attentive driver now) so drivers can make money while waiting for driverless robo-taxi later.

If so, Tesla might have to build an app team to bring it out soon.

I thought someone requested during the annual shareholder meeting that Tesla should implement human-supervised robo-taxi first (the same current way that Autopilot must have an attentive driver now) so drivers can make money while waiting for driverless robo-taxi later.

Yeah I remember seeing that. Good point. My guess is that they are already working on the app.

Those who voted 2019-2020 are funny :)

...just remember that no matter how smart AP seems to be, currently it will happily smash into unexpected stationary objects in its way.

Last edited:

Elon answered that it's a good idea, but I don't think they will actually do it. The only way to make this work is to have a pilot program in one city, make sure there are enough cars to answer requests. Otherwise if they enable the program, when someone requests a ride, it takes 40 minutes, then nobody will try the service again.

Reactions: Doggydogworld

You mean so drivers could train their replacement? I'm sure they would love that.

The thing is: An owner is the driver so by training the system to replace the driver would be great if owners won't have to drive anymore while the car will be able to pick up customers on its own and owners can collect the revenues without driving!
Yep, I believe it was an owner/shareholder who suggested this in the first place (at the shareholder's meeting). Sounded like Elon had not thought of it before and when approached with the idea thought it might make sense.

Reactions: BBone