TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Poll: Where do you do most of your local charging?

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by TexasEV, Jun 11, 2015.

?

What is your primary source of local charging? (Current Model S owners only, please.)

1. Home

135 vote(s)
    86.0%
  2. Outlet or EVSE other than at home

17 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. Supercharger, because I can not charge at home

4 vote(s)
    2.5%
  4. Supercharger, because I want to even though I could charge at home

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

How many Model S owners are really affected by the request to not abuse local supercharging? I would be surprised if it's more than 1%, but let's see:

2. taurusking

taurusking Member

I'm sorry I don't see the poll

3. Max*

Max* Autopilot != Autonomous

I'm sure the number of people affected are going to be miniscule, but that's not the point. The original statement was "free supercharging for life". This is "free supercharging for life, assuming you have a moral compass, otherwise I'll send you a letter asking you to cut it out".

4. MileHighMotoring

Your poll is not going to show any of that at all. People abusing superchargers will affect Tesla drivers who are traveling and using Superchargers for range driving. It doesn't matter where my "primary source of local charging" is, what matters is if the Supercharger I want to use while traveling is full because a rude owner is using it as his home charging station.

5. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

I voted "EVSE other than at home" because I am currently on 120v at home and 200v (not even 208) 30a J1772 at work via ChargePoint (for free). The combination together is working for me, but I look forward to getting a 14-50 installed at home. Hopefully in another two weeks or so.

6. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Yes I understand this can affect other drivers also, but that wasn't really the point of my question. There is a lot of righteous indignation from a few owners about how they were promised free supercharging and by golly they are going to use the supercharger near them regularly to save a few bucks even if they could charge at home because Tesla didn't specifically exclude that use case in their marketing. My question was how many people actually do this (in the skewed sample that are on TMC) or are they just making a theoretical argument.

7. MileHighMotoring

Fair enough, but I doubt anyone here would really admit to it. :)

8. Ugliest1

Ugliest1 S85: "Sparky"

At the electricity utility event (Edison something-or-other) this week, in California *I think*, Elon and JB mentioned that 90-95% of all charging is NOT superchargers. FWIW. I'm sure your 1% prediction will be true but as MHM suggested, that may be because no one will admit it.

OT, personally over the years one of the things that I really enjoy about Tesla is the way they summarize data, sometimes. Taking a huge bunch of data, and boiling it all down to "95% not supercharging" to help in a discussion... is great. And they have all sorts of these snippets that come out here and there. Pardon me, I just think those types of explanatory summary comments are brilliant and thought-provoking. I've tried to come up with many myself in my working career, and it's durned hard to do.

9. taurusking

taurusking Member

I agree with you..

10. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

Maybe not, but it's an anonymous poll so I hope people will respond honestly.

11. MileHighMotoring

Anonymous to you and me, not to everyone :) Doesn't matter anyhow, Tesla knows the abusers and is sending them a friendly note.

12. SmartElectric

SmartElectric Active Member

This presumes the owners doing "local supercharging" are going to impede you. I don't see this as nearly as likely as you do, given the vast majority of posts here from "local supercharging" owners indicate they move out of the way if there are too many cars coming in to charge. Then again, I've only ever seen a supercharging station full up once, in Toronto, when the Lawrence SC was maxed out with new cars to be delivered...oh, but that wasn't for "long distance travel", so maybe the SC shouldn't supercharge these new cars and therefore delay delivery to customers according to you and Elon?

13. AnxietyRanger

AnxietyRanger Active Member

Thanks for being honest - for many people this is not about altruistic reasons at all, but about an assumed threat to their own good. This happens on both sides of the argument.

- - - Updated - - -

I sense many a future staring contest about who is the most entitled person to use the Supercharger.

Usually it is: Me. For everyone. :)

14. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

So people wanting something they paid for to be available for its intended purpose are being selfish?

15. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Really? The SC using them is slightly different. That's not daily charging for them and they'll move if you ask.

16. AnxietyRanger

Often about as selfish as those wanting something they paid for to be available for the terms made public. People become annoyed when the perceived wrong is feared to affect their life, but may remain silent and ignorant when it doesn't. Clearly a lot of whatever criticism towards Supercharger use is posted, is related to stalls being filled that caused a wait for the poster(s). I expect this to just get worse over time as charging etiquette overall is discussed in society.

Not all have vested interests, of course. For example I have absolutely no stake in this, at all. I don't live near Superchargers, haven't and don't really expect to use them much for the life of my Model S. Maybe things will be different for the Model X but by then I am of course aware of whatever new rules Tesla may or may not have. But I do care about Tesla, its moral compass included.

17. TexasEV

TexasEV Active Member

There are already two threads where people make the arguments for and against. Please comment in those threads if you want to continue the discussion and keep this thread for the poll.

18. AnxietyRanger

As a friendly suggestion, if you want to keep the thread neutral and just about a poll, perhaps this is not the best way to word it:

19. MileHighMotoring

Ha, well put.

20. JPP

JPP Active Member

I have 16kW of solar, and planned to do most of my charging at home. Turns out that my workplace has EVSE, as do many businesses and parking garages in the SF Bay Area, so I do relatively little charging at home. My wife will likely do most of her S70D charging at home, as her workplace does not have any EVSE.