TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Poll - which door do you actually prefer?

Discussion in 'Model X' started by cizUK, Mar 28, 2017.

?

If other doors were available as a no cost option over the FW doors, which would you choose?

1. Falcon Wing doors

89 vote(s)
    66.9%
  2. Normally opening doors

25 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Sliding doors

16 vote(s)
    12.0%
  4. 'Suicide' doors

3 vote(s)
    2.3%
  1. cizUK

cizUK Member

Please note the 'no cost'

After all of the complaints about the doors, it'll be interesting to see how many actually hate these doors. :)

2. randy1077

randy1077 Model X60 Vin 180XX. Reverved 8/11/2016

The attention and cool factor benefits far outweigh the downsides. I have the 6 seater, so we walk thru to the third row, but I bet they would be even more useful on a 7 seater because of the ease of entry. My 72 year old mother said it was the easiest car she has ever gotten into/out of.

• Like x 3
  3. TechVP

TechVP Active Poster

If I had to trade FWD's I would want features for arm rests, oh-S-handles and some attempt at minimal roof storage. But the FWD's to me are a real charm. My mom of >75 was able to snuggle in and sit down in the 2nd row. That was nice for her & she appreciated it.

4. Maaz

Maaz Member

Fwd are one of the many reasons it is different from any other vehicle. If I didn't want them I'd buy an Audi Q7

• Like x 1
  5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

Moot poll. FWD are integral to the design of the Model-X. Any vehicle without the FWD will not be a Model-X. Meaning, if Tesla ever sold a SUV of this size again without FWD, it would have to be a completely different vehicle (new design, new crash-testing, new name, etc.)

It would be equivalent to asking people if they preferred a 3-wheeled Model-X over a 4-wheeled version.

BTW, if you asked me a year ago, I would have said regular doors. Today, I'm not sure. I'm split 50/50. Tomorrow?

• Like x 1
  6. cizUK

cizUK Member

Why have some chosen otherwise?

About 15% would prefer other doors

7. cizUK

cizUK Member

Yeah, I understand
    I'm not thinking exactly that, but instead who actually doesn't like these doors regardless of price and development time?

8. EarlyAdopter

EarlyAdopter Active Member

We have two kids in 5 point harness car seats. Falcon Wing all the way. The ease of access is incredible.

9. Blip

Blip Member

I guess the result would look different in Norway. People here generally don't want the "wow". Some like to show off, but in a more subtile way, like removing badges (Debadging - Wikipedia). There are hundreds of posts regarding "where-to-put-my-skis" in the norwegian EV-forum. Yes, I know. We are different...
    Ref 1: SKI?
    Ref 2: Hva har dere tenkt å gjøre med skiene?

• Like x 1
  10. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I am shaking my head that put 'cool and attention grabbing' ahead of ease of use and function !

Are we that shallow ?

11. EarlyAdopter

Does no one else have kids in car seats? We've found the Falcon Wing doors to be the ultimate in ease of use and function for this use case. Couldn't imagine anything better.

• Like x 3
  12. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

We do, and it's the main reason we replaced our minivan with the X. We thought it would be easier getting them in and out of the car. But after dealing with door not opening properly for 3+ months (and 3 sensor replacements), I can confidently say this door does not work as well as sliding door for us.

• Like x 1
  13. mkjayakumar

mkjayakumar Active Member

I have had a minivan for a decade when my kids were younger. And I have played with the X a few times in the show room and other places.
    I simply cannot fathom what does the X doors solve that minivan doors don't.

I will take the word of X owners, but as someone who is very much interested in getting an X, I am not seeing it.

• Like x 2
  14. EarlyAdopter

Well, fingers crossed, we haven't had any problems with the doors so far. No sensor issues, no alignment issues. We'll see how that holds up over time.

The advantage over sliding minivan doors, in our experience:
    1. Vertical clearance. You can access the kid's seats from overhead. This is a great back saver.
    2. Rain cover. It rains a lot where we live. Having a built in umbrella overhead has been wonderful.
    3. You don't have to drive a minivan. :)

• Like x 2
  15. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

You don't get rained on while you're busy strapping the kids into their car seats.

• Like x 2
  16. PhantomX

PhantomX Member

I think that's only true if there is no wind together with rain. And what we have done when we had the minivan is put the kids in the car, close the door, and then finish strapping them into the seats. Completely protected from the weather since there is plenty of vertical rooms inside a minivan to allow us to do that.

17. Blip

Blip Member

Just to be clear: I would trade in our S 90D for a X the minute regular (or sliding) doors were an option on the Model X. We cancelled our X reservation because of the doors.

• Like x 1
  18. Mike M

Mike M Member

I love our FWD's. Are there some downsides of not opening quite as much as I'd like in, for example, our garage? Yes. On the other hand there are benefits on ease of access, and yes, cool factor. The look on our teenage son's friends faces alone when I've picked him up from school and opened the FWDs was worth it.

I can't tell you how many times I've slammed my head on a door opening or even a minivan back door opening trying to get a kid in a car seat or get my elderly father in a seat and buckled in. Its actually wondrous for people who are older and have a hard time maneuvering. Its super easy for my dad to now get into the car from a walker without it taking 5 minutes for him to make his body fit a regular opening.

• Like x 1
  19. rainforest

rainforest Member

Being "cool" doesn't necessarily mean we are shallow. It just means that it is not so ordinary as traditional doors would be.

• Like x 1
  20. TJtv

TJtv Member

In general getting kids in/out of their carseats is the major selling point of the FWDs. However, I have 3 kids under 4 years old and a six seater MX. Trying to figure out the best way to get access to strap one of them in the back row while still having a place for the two in the middle row can sometimes be challenging