Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Poll - which door do you actually prefer?

If other doors were available as a no cost option over the FW doors, which would you choose?

• Falcon Wing doors

Votes: 89 66.9%
  • Normally opening doors

Votes: 25 18.8%
  • Sliding doors

Votes: 16 12.0%
  • 'Suicide' doors

Votes: 3 2.3%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have had a minivan for a decade when my kids were younger. And I have played with the X a few times in the show room and other places.
I simply cannot fathom what does the X doors solve that minivan doors don't.

I personally prefer the sliding minivan doors, in a non-powered configuration.

The obvious are true, FWDs are a wow factor. The kids will think it's cool. It is also true that placement into car seats are easier in the 2nd rows. You plop them down into the seats rather than shoving them into them, especially if you have car seats with high side bolsters.

As for the negatives, the sensors don't work as well as they should.

We have hit the cars next to us with the FWDs.

The kids have gotten hit by the doors when opening it themselves.

They often don't open more than a crack because they sense something in outer space (exaggeration) resulting in an adult pulling a contortionist move to reach the interior button to override.

I don't remember any point in time where I felt the manual sliding doors on my minivan were a pain or insufficient. I remember having occasional annoyances with my powered sliding doors as they aged. I have frequent frustrations with my FWDs.

I also don't have any complaints about the regular doors on my S...other than that they don't close when I step on the brake.

and then the fear of cost of repairs out of warranty on an item that is prone to failures, is also a negative factor. At that time the 'Wow' factor will become, 'Oh *sugar* not again, another $2K down the drain' factor.

My Odyssey doors did not even have a hiccup for close to 150k miles when I sold it.