Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Which Model 3 Color Will You Choose?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Time for that difficult decision – which color? It seems the “Standard” Model 3 will come in black, while five additional colors are available as $1,000 options.

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.43.23-AM.png
Standard Black

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.31.01-AM.png
Deep Blue Metallic

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.46.13-AM.png
Pearl White Multi-Coat

Screen-Shot-2017-07-29-at-9.49.03-AM.png
Midnight Silver Metallic

3_s.jpg
Silver Metallic

model-3-red-overhead.png
Red Multi-Coat

Last edited by a moderator:
It's so weird to me how black looks the best, but fewest people want it. I wonder if black was $1500 would it be most popular. Most of the BMWs I see are black. Why is that? How come Tesla buyers abhor black so much? Is it a nerd thing? Blue would have to be -$5000 before I would start to consider it.
I really like the black too. The other thing is that in a climate with lots of snowfall a black (or at least dark colour) is better visualized.

I love the blue and the midnight silver (grey). I also loved the matte black they had at the original reveal. Perhaps save the money on paint and get it wrapped in a color of choice.

We have black and silver metallic. Silver metallic hides the dirt. Black we're constantly washing (hand washing!... lot's of work).

When we ordered our S in 2015, silver metallic was NOT an option. So we opted for black. Otherwise we'd be like @Maximilien, silver all the way...
It does look awesome in silver. I was very close to getting it in silver, but I decided I didn't want two silver cars. I think the black looks more badass, but the maintenance is a pain. I've been washing it with a foam gun followed by pressure washing with pretty good results. Only takes about twenty minutes. The two bucket method was taking too long and used way too much water.

It does look awesome in silver. I was very close to getting it in silver, but I decided I didn't want two silver cars. I think the black looks more badass, but the maintenance is a pain. I've been washing it with a foam gun followed by pressure washing with pretty good results. Only takes about twenty minutes. The two bucket method was taking too long and used way too much water.

Buckets and water. About 1-2 hours depending on how much of the interior I need to do. Lost my little helpers, who prefer to clean the X (silver)...or more correctly, prefer NOT to clean the X, since the silver is more forgiving....

It seems like the most popular color for Teslas in general is White, so I thought that would be the color I get, but the wife wants Red and I have never been able to drive a red car for fear of being pulled over, but now I am old, so why not.

What does multi-coat mean? Both the White and Red say that but none of the other colors do, is it a color changing tech or just a thicker coat? Pretty sure it's not metallic as several of the paints are that style, not just the pearl.

Why did they do all the normal Tesla colors except the Obsidian?

-Randy

Buckets and water. About 1-2 hours depending on how much of the interior I need to do. Lost my little helpers, who prefer to clean the X (silver)...or more correctly, prefer NOT to clean the X, since the silver is more forgiving....

1-2 hours for me as well. It takes a long time to prevent swirl marks. That's the advantage of wrapping - you don't need to be so careful when washing, and it speeds up the process.

• Informative
Reactions: GoTslaGo
It might very well be regional, like how the Sun states don't really care about AWD/4WD but the Snow states like it.

I just rented a black car for a week, and it is noticeably hotter when driving it around. Also annoying to park the smoldering charcoal briquette in the garage each day.
Really? Most of the BMWs I see aren't black.

Black is bad because it wastes more energy than white cars. They're also less visible, so there's an increased chance of accident.
I'm skeptical that this is true as a sweeping generalization. Would like to see data if it holds for climates that require more heating than cooling. Love to learn stuff.

What does multi-coat mean? Both the White and Red say that but none of the other colors do, is it a color changing tech or just a thicker coat? Pretty sure it's not metallic as several of the paints are that style, not just the pearl.

Metallics and solid base colours are painted with a colour coat then clear coat over the top. Pearls (done properly) are painted with colour coat, pearl coat, then clear coat. So multicoat = pearl.

• Informative
Reactions: tony b
I'm skeptical that this is true as a sweeping generalization. Would like to see data if it holds for climates that require more heating than cooling. Love to learn stuff.
I have a black car, and I absolutely love it.

However, one of the conditions of my loving it is that I have a monthly membership at a car wash, and I go there 2-3 times per week. To me, that is the energy expenditure difference of a black car versus other colors. (And I do feel a tad guilty.)